chazne

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this?

I recently bough a 128 Gb Crucial SSD. I performed speed tests in both Windows and Ubunutu and I can only get read speeds of upto about 270 Mb/s whilist I should be getting faster speeds. My system configuration is as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte A55M-DS2
CPU: AMD A4:3300
RAM: Generic single channel 4GB DDR3

The motherboard claims to have SATA 3 ports but from the speeds I'm getting it looks like my SSD is running at SATA 2 speeds. I have set the mainboard to operate in AHCI mode and am using a proper SATA 3 cable. I have also updated the motherboard chipset drivers to the latest versions from the AMD website.

Can anyone offer any insight into why I am getting low speeds. I know that my Mainboard is budget board but it is advertised as a SATA 3 board.

Many Thanks for your advice on this.

chazne

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
Hi Voodooking,

I haven't been able to increase the speed. I think it must be down to the Motherboard chipset. I think I'll have to upgrade at some point.

voodooking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012
How did you perform the speed test? Different programs are used and they give different results. That being said, one does need to make sure that everything is up to date. I had to flash my Bios to a new version and that helped as well.

FYI: I now use Bench 32 by ATTO software. That is the same one that Toms uses and it says my drive is doing 500/400 ish. That is closer to advertised.