SSD space dissapearing before my eyes.

On-A-Downer

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014
I've had this problem since I got the PC, I've searched these forums for hours, seached youtube videos, googled all kinds of different terms to try to find an answer and it's just getting worse.

I have a 128gb SSD as my C drive.

There is currently 88mb free according to a windows warning and also the pie chart when right clicking on the C drive and going to properties.

If I drag a box over every single folder in the C drive and right click properties it says the combined total is only around 70gb, so where is my missing 50gb ?

I've tried deleting shadow files and it actually INCREASES the MB count. Before doing that and disk cleanup I had around 800mb and now it's 88mb.

Windirstat shows that only 70.6gb is being used.

I'm going to stop using this PC because windows is saying it's at risk of system instability.

It's going to a local PC shop if it isn't solved soon.

I don't think it should be relevant but I'll put it out anyway. I'm playing Skyrim and when I started modding it I had some issues so installed, deleted then re-installed Skyrim and a load of mods a few times over.

Hope someone knows! I'd be eternally grateful.

Solution

CCleaner
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

On-A-Downer

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014

The pagefile size is 0, not sure how to get to system restore point settings, it's turned off though so maybe it doesn't matter. I used the command prompt to disable hibernation.

After re-starting windows I now have 322mb, just seconds earlier I had over 500mb and apart from opening this page I haven't done anything.

Regarding deleting stuff from the drive... I could wipe it clean and it would still say only a few hundred MB available at best.

USAFRet

Titan
500mb to 322mb is simply temp files you get from cruising the internet.

Can you post a screencap of your WinDirStat output?

And if you delete/uninstall something major....yes, that will free up space.
There isn't a magical bit fairy eating up the drive behind your back.

On-A-Downer

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014

I don't know how to post screenshots, Windirstat says 70.1gb is used on C drive in total. 36.1gb is windows and the rest is split between just 9 folders.

Something is eating up around 50gb and it doesn't show as something I can delete, going to C drive in my computer just shows what Windirstat shows.

On-A-Downer

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014

Windows 7, I'll have to get that screenshot tommorow I'm going to bed soon.

I just had an Avast notification saying I have 62.82gb of junk files to be cleared, it was just a sales pop up to get me to buy the paid for version so I couldn't do it through Avast.

There's a breakdown in the pop up saying that temporary files make up 47.53gb of that 62.82gb.

Anyway to get those without Avast ?

USAFRet

Titan

CCleaner
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Solution

On-A-Downer

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2014

It worked!

Freed up 63.5gb of space, almost all of it was termporary system files according to CCleaner.

So the next question is how to prevent that amount building up ?

Thanks for your help USAF, I really appreciate it.

USAFRet

Titan
Temp files are a good thing, mostly. It speeds up the whole browsing experience. It can get all those images, content, and little files from on disk, instead of pulling it down from the website every time.

Just monitor it. Delete routinely.
This is one of the issues with a smallish drive like that.