Question SSD stopped being recognised on MSI Z97 Gaming 3 ?

JayX_

Commendable
May 4, 2020
Hi,

My son's PC suddenly turned off and when he rebooted, he had the 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device' message.

My immediate assumption was that perhaps his SSD died, I inserted it into my own PC and it wouldn't recognise it either. I bought a new SSD today and still it is not being recognised. I put the new one into my own PC and it was recognised and I was able to install Windows onto it. I put it into my son's PC and nothing. I've tried resetting and adjusting various settings in the BIOS but to no avail.

I looked at the board explorer and when hovering over the M.2 slot is just says "M.2 Connector" and nothing else (I assume it should detect it and name it?)

I'm completely at a loss now, any help would be hugely appreciated. My son is experiencing gaming withdrawals and I'm not sure how long it'll be before he dies of boredom lol.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s), old and new: make, model, capacity, how full?

Installing Windows on a disk drive in one computer and then moving the drive to another computer might sometimes work. Overall there will likely be continuing problems even if it does work.

Do a clean Windows install on the new drive in your son's computer.

FYI:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366