SSD Tweaking of System Restore and Pagefile Questions

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I just build a new PC computer and am now tweaking my Samsung SSD 830 128GB setup.

I have read conflicting advice on turning off system restore as it can degrade the SSD over time, but would come in handy if you make a mistake. As a third alternative, I was thinking a win win solution might be to move the system restore location to my Seagate Barracuda 3TB HD. This way I will not degrade the SSD, and have access to system restore files if I make a mistake and need to back up to the last system restore point.

Any reasons that I should not do this? If no, can anyone tell me how to move system restore location to my HD.

While on the subject of SSD tweaks, I have also read conflicting advise on disabling Pagefile (FYI...I have 8MB of RAM). The reasons to disable it are it does not improve the performance of the SSD and gains a valuable 3 to 4GB of real estate on your SSD. However, I have also read that disabling it can cause blue screen. To address the blue screen option, I have read one should lower the pagefiles' min and max to 1GB. Again, I am thinking a win win would be to move the PageFile location to my HD Drive and leave the min and max as the default. I would appreciate any advise on this as well.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I'm not sure about moving the restore file, BUT:

I disable pagefile on computers with 8GB of ram. You won't get a blue screen, but you might get some programs that can use all that ram to crash to desktop with a warning from windows that you ran out of ram.

I assume you mean you have 8GB not 8MB of ram, so you should be fine to disable the pagefile.

As for the windows restore, I use 3rd party tools like Acronis to make definite images of my computer when everything is working as it should. The image file can be stored anywhere I/you want.

eXistenZ

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have followed the guides and have had no problems without pagefile (0 GB).

Samsung 830 128 has not failed me -- yet -- though I don't appreciate the 17K random writes as opposed to advertised 30k random writes.

Other day I moved \Installer (10+ GB) and \SoftwareDistribution (2+ GB) folders to D: using junctions.

one place for junction info, google specifics

So . . . let us know if you can get junctions to move your system restores.

ctpcbuild

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I have done some more research on moving system restore location to another drive, and is seems that it is not possible. If anyone finds out otherwise, let me know.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.