SSD vs HDD Tested: What’s the Difference and Which Is Better?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Yep, way too high.
I'd put myself solidly in the 'power user' realm.

Counting 6 drives in my system (the 660p in the PCIe adapter does not pass the relevant SMART data):
56.1TBW, in a cumulative 162,010 hours (6750 days, 18.5 years).
So, ~3.3TBW per year.

CAD, video. lots and lots of photo work...

The high TBW SSD are for business users .My Brother works in Enginering document controlling , and each day he deletes 2TB and refill them on his Document PC , each day he recieves them , send them to server then delete the ~2TB from his in between machine , which has to be fast and cant use normal HDD for this or it will bottleneck from continious non stop wtriting from hundreds of document sources sreaming in.

USAFRet

Titan
The high TBW SSD are for business users .My Brother works in Enginering document controlling , and each day he deletes 2TB and refill them on his Document PC , each day he recieves them , send them to server then delete the ~2TB from his in between machine , which has to be fast and cant use normal HDD for this or it will bottleneck from continious non stop wtriting from hundreds of document sources sreaming in.
And that is far outside the realm of "normal use".

Or maybe, those files need to be written directly to the server, instead of going through his PC. Just saying...

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
And that is far outside the realm of "normal use".

Or maybe, those files need to be written directly to the server, instead of going through his PC. Just saying...

not. he is document controller , he must decide which goto servers and which not.

Plus the the compression working in the driv almost all day.

ThunderJoe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For what it's worth,in my experience,any errors with SSDs have been catastrophic. I.E. total failure. HDDs may fail more gracefully. So there are a couple of take-aways.
  1. backup early and often.
  2. Only use name brand SSDs. I like vertically integrated SSDs , i.e. Samsung, Intel , and Crucial/Micron , probably in that order. Vertically oriented means one company makes the flash, controller and software. Most of my bad experience are with 3rd party SSDs , which means this party purchases flash and controllers and maybe writes the software.
Agreed. I made the mistake of assuming I was backing up one of my SSD's that had about two years of work on it. Then, while in the middle of a project, my system BSOD'd. No big deal, I thought - just a glitch - rebooted to find the drive GONE. Disk Manager reported it their, but not initialized. I tried a few utilities - nothing that actually wrote to the drive - but no luck. Sent the SSD off to recovery to see if "professional" recovery could do anything - they reported the drive was blank.

So, I work off of SSD's, but back up real-time to HDD's. Learn from my misfortune. I've never had an HDD just go "poof" - dead - there has always been recoverable data.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Agreed. I made the mistake of assuming I was backing up one of my SSD's that had about two years of work on it. Then, while in the middle of a project, my system BSOD'd. No big deal, I thought - just a glitch - rebooted to find the drive GONE. Disk Manager reported it their, but not initialized. I tried a few utilities - nothing that actually wrote to the drive - but no luck. Sent the SSD off to recovery to see if "professional" recovery could do anything - they reported the drive was blank.

So, I work off of SSD's, but back up real-time to HDD's. Learn from my misfortune. I've never had an HDD just go "poof" - dead - there has always been recoverable data.

We need HDD makers to join NVME SSD and HDD in one package sooner or later and move from SAS/SATA into PCIe U.2 interface once and for all.

And I am not talking about simple "cache" I am talking real 256G NVME SSD board on the 8TB harddisk. I emailed all of them with the idea .. but it seems needs some time to move the market from SATA/SAS into PCIe interface for HDD . and they liked the idea in their replies.