Question SSDs failing occasionally and inconsistently even after replacing with new SSD and MOBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2022
Check my old thread for more info

Couple weeks ago I had what seemed to be either my SSD or Motherboard start failing, however I have since bought a new MOBO and SSD and moved everything over from the old drive to the new drive and now the new drive is having the same issues. The only thing that hasn't changed is the PSU, CPU, GPU and OS (OS is running on another NVMe SSD which doesn't seem to be having the same issue since it never BSODs). At this point I almost certain its Windows (either the drive controller or some other issue), occasionally the drive will just fail during use and still shows under My PC but any folder I try to open says "... is not accessible. A device which does not exist was specified" as well as it showing up in Disk Management as RAW instead of NTFS, this may also happen occasionally straight from a PC restart or shows in My PC but the storage progress bar doesn't show (700 GB free of 931 GB for example), or lastly will just not show up at all in My PC or Disk Management. Again this was happening with the old drive but after a new MOBO and SSD is now happening on the new drive.

Troubleshooting I have tried:
  • Re-installing chipset drivers
  • Updating BIOS to latest version
  • Updating Windows to latest version
  • Installing Samsung NVMe driver on new Samsung drive (actually caused more issues)
  • Setting SATA in BIOS to AHCI and disabling CSM
  • Running CHKDSK and WMIC
  • S.M.A.R.T reports no issues
  • Converting drives to GPT from MBR (Samsung started as GPT)
  • Changing Link State Power Management to Off
  • …probably a few more I have forgotten

Drives:
  • OS drive - ADATA SX8200NP 240GB (maybe starting to have issues, or is just general windows crashes)
  • Old problematic drive - ADATA SX6000NP 480GB (less often but still having same issue even after format and being empty)
  • New problematic drive - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • Hard drive - Seagate Barracuda ST1500DM003 1.5TB (never had an issue)

Event Viewer codes:
  • Bolded = most common
  • 50 - {Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file P:\... (P:\ is the new SSD)
  • 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 during a paging operation. (Disk 1 is the new SSD, errors MANY times)
  • 51 - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR3 during a paging operation. (Disk 3 is the old SSD)
  • 137 - The default transaction resource manager on volume P: encountered a non-retryable error and could not start. The data contains the error code.
  • 140 - Failure status: A device which does not exist was specified.
  • 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort3. (during startup)
  • 11 - Physical Device 0x144d Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB is on-line (during startup)
  • 129 - Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort3, was issued. (during startup)

PC Specs (check old thread for old specs):
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x
  • Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570S GAMING X (rev1.0)
  • RAM: 2x8gb Trident Z RGB 3200MHz
  • GPU: GALAX GTX 1060 6GB OC
  • PSU: Silverstone Strider Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum (3+ Years Old)
  • BIOS: Version F3 (28/1/2022)

Trying to avoid fresh installing Windows 10, maybe willing to upgrade to Windows 11 but not ideal lol, any suggestions would be great.

Any better or worse if you use ONLY drivers supplied by Windows itself...not Samsung, not Intel, etc?

Still occurs when booted in safe mode?

Seemingly occurs purely at random....you can't make it happen?

If a cabled drive, have you tried new cables?

Jan 4, 2022
Any better or worse if you use ONLY drivers supplied by Windows itself...not Samsung, not Intel, etc?

Seemingly occurs purely at random....you can't make it happen?

If a cabled drive, have you tried new cables?
Seems somewhat better using Windows default drivers but still occurs

Doesn't seem to occur when in Safe Mode but more testing would have to be done to confirm (will get back to this soon)

Seems random but launching certain games (located on the drive) or trying to transfer files (located on the drive) seems to trigger it fairly often so potentially due to certain files on the drive, but is still occurring on my old drive which had nothing on it

Not cabled, M.2 SSDs which on the original motherboard I tried reseating and swapping but would still occur on the same drive and now on a new motherboard with a new M.2 drive but same files as old setup

Jan 4, 2022
Doesn't seem to occur when in Safe Mode but more testing would have to be done to confirm (will get back to this soon)
So I tested booting into safe mode about 5 times and each time the drives seemed to have worked perfectly (loaded everything and could click into files etc.), I also tried just resetting my PC a couple times and only about 2 out of the 5 times did the drives not fail straight off the bat. However on the last safe mode boot and regular boot the old drive, which has nothing on it and usually works more often then the new drive now, didn't show up at all in either case.

Jan 4, 2022
when you swapped mobo and ssd did you do a CLEAN windows install?
I did not. It's probably time for a re-install anyway and recently I started saving most things on my non-OS drives (re-directing Desktop, Documents, Downloads etc. folders to a different drive, saving most games and programs to my other M.2 drives) so it wouldn't be much of a loss.

All this is starting to point to Windows being the issue, but I have seen on other forums occasionally people blaming a recent update causing all this (which somewhat makes sense since my old drive was fine for 2-3 years and only recently starting doing this and it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue so I am worried that re-installing and then updating windows will continue to cause the same issue.

Jan 4, 2022
Ideally I would like to find the cause of the issue so I can try fixing it directly, without having to resort to a clean install of Windows each time, but it might just be the only option.

EDIT: Screw it, I will do a clean install since its probably good to do one anyway, at least then I can report back if the issue was fixed or not and go from there.

D

Deleted member 14196

So that is your answer. Whenever you change your motherboard or a CPU you must do a clean install. Your former install has all these other drivers and other settings in the registry that will never get changed until you do it so whether you like it or not the only way for you to fix your problem is to do a clean install. Then, if that doesn’t fix it you have real hardware issues but I think this is caused by the user

Jan 4, 2022
So that is your answer. Whenever you change your motherboard or a CPU you must do a clean install. Your former install has all these other drivers and other settings in the registry that will never get changed until you do it so whether you like it or not the only way for you to fix your problem is to do a clean install. Then, if that doesn’t fix it you have real hardware issues but I think this is caused by the user
If you read my post correctly you would know this issue was occuring BEFORE I changed the SSD and MOBO, so the registry is not the issue. I changed the MOBO and SSD because of this issue.

None the less I am currently trying to reinstall Windows anyway so hopefully this fixes the issue, however I am running into this error (0x8007025D)

Also the drives are perfectly fine as well as all the other hardware because this issue persisted even after getting new hardware, so no user error here.

Jan 4, 2022
Run health check on all your storage devices.
Use HDtune health, post screenshots.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
I had to format the OS drive to re-install the OS, so I can't run a health check unfortunately until OS is re-installed, however I did check S.M.A.R.T, Samsung Magician and ADATA SSD Toolbox before and they were all healthy.

Jan 4, 2022
Currently recreating Windows install USB as suggested by other forum posts, unsure why I am having issues now as this is the same drive and USB as before when I did a clean install ~6 months ago

Jan 4, 2022
UPDATE: Creating a new install USB has seemed to of worked, not going to question it lol.

Will update this thread after Windows has been installed, setup and tested for a good amount of time before confirming the issue has been fixed or not.

Jan 4, 2022
UPDATE: Creating a new install USB has seemed to of worked, not going to question it lol.

Will update this thread after Windows has been installed, setup and tested for a good amount of time before confirming the issue has been fixed or not.
Welp, after reinstalling Windows, I tried to reinstall Halo Infinite from Xbox app onto the same drive as before (the problematic drive, hoping it would just find all the files and "download" super quick) but after 1% it errored, I click on a folder in that drive and the same error occurred. So it seems like clean Windows install did not fix the issue. It was working fine for about 1 hour whilst I just set up my windows settings etc. but the moment I went to use it, it started doing it again.

I'm 99% certain this is not hardware though as the exact same thing was happening with my old MOBO and SSD, must be corrupted files or something as that's the only thing that is the same right now. (Worst case maybe PSU?)

D

Deleted member 14196

Also start doing some testing to eliminate things such as the ram testing with Memtest86. You’ve got to start ruling things out. Test the psu as well

Status
Not open for further replies.