Stable laptop with 3080 ti?

antr1x

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Due to the full-scale war in my country and the fact that my wife and I are expecting a baby - I decided for the next 3-4 years to replace the stanionary PC to a laptop. Until today I was ready to buy ASUS ROG Strix SCAR 15 G533ZX, but accidentally came across a video guys who repair laptops and they explained in great detail that this model is terrible, with terrible vrm memory cooling, mosfets overheating, and as a result - discrete gpu dies from overheating and such laptops in their service was a few dozen.. Why is such an important part of the laptop cooled by two paltry lobes? You can see everything in the screenshots. I just want to ask - are there any STABLE laptops with the same parameters as G533ZX, but without such engineering flaws? I do not want to immediately after the purchase undervolt everything, as well as do not want to be afraid to run on it anything more powerful than 720p video on YouTube.
8UJVvGi.png

jkGRG2Y.png

2U7P3Qc.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Just to give you some context, if you do your search on the www, you'll see that undervolting is the route to go with the way component manufacturer's have purposely set high limits on their componentry. In fact, the only job of Asus and other brands akin to them are to solder componentry onto PCB's...the rest of the demands come from AMD or Intel or Nvidia. If you must direct blame on a device drawing unnecessarily too much power it can be towards them primarily. When it comes to Asus and their ilk, yes they also warranty blame for trying to skimp on quality componentry(VRM componentry) in order to make a larger profit(but that's come about due to the pandemic and the supply chain issue).

You can look into Acer, Gigbayte, Lenovo, MSI and even Dell for a gaming laptop. What is your preferred site for purchase?

antr1x

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Just to give you some context, if you do your search on the www, you'll see that undervolting is the route to go with the way component manufacturer's have purposely set high limits on their componentry. In fact, the only job of Asus and other brands akin to them are to solder componentry onto PCB's...the rest of the demands come from AMD or Intel or Nvidia. If you must direct blame on a device drawing unnecessarily too much power it can be towards them primarily. When it comes to Asus and their ilk, yes they also warranty blame for trying to skimp on quality componentry(VRM componentry) in order to make a larger profit(but that's come about due to the pandemic and the supply chain issue).

You can look into Acer, Gigbayte, Lenovo, MSI and even Dell for a gaming laptop. What is your preferred site for purchase?

In this particular case, I was talking about low-quality cooling in a specific line of devices (G733xx, G713xx, G533xx, G513xx), in which the manufacturer saved a lot on high-quality cooling of very important components. In this particular case, I (as well as many others) want to say that the aforementioned line of laptops is only suitable for watching YouTube videos in 720p quality (1080p if there is a cooling pad).

I'm looking for a laptop with similar hardware and good, thoughtful and high-quality cooling, on which I can perform work tasks and also run games at maximum settings from time to time and are not afraid that my VRM memory and GPU will physically burn out, along with half of motherboard. A laptop with which I don't have to buy an additional set of memory chips, GPU and a couple of spare motherboards at the same time.

Honestly, all my life I preferred PCs over laptops, but now the situation is such that I don’t have to choose whether I want a PC or a laptop. Now I am in one place, tomorrow, in a week or a month, russian fascists will start shelling my city and I will have to leave here, and I will not be able to quickly pack and take with me a 49 inch ultra-wide monitor, a 40 kg PC and all the rest of the peripherals, because I have much more important priorities - family, wife, daughter, as well as some things/devices that I have time to throw into a backpack or bag.

Last edited: