Question Stack-Based overflow error? help,please!

pleadnepenthe

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Hi all, I received a stack-based buffer overflow error on my PC yesterday. I am fairly tech savvy, but this isn't an error I have personally received before. I did some googling to see what the error is, how to fix it, and what could have caused it. I only received it once so far, so it's hard to say if I still have an issue for me. Not even sure how to check if that issue is persisting.

I am afraid there are some things I don't quite understand, so I was hoping some people could help clear them up for me. This is especially so here since I didn't get an error code and it is from textinputhost.
I have ran SFC and it said it found corrupt files and repaired them. I also made sure to install the latest updates for Windows. I ran windows defender full scand and it found nothing. I could try other virus/malware applications just in case.
It seems to me, that this error usually involves using a restor point, start up repair, or reinstalling windows completely.

The one suggestion I have seen constantly is to open MSConfig and to check what is running and what is enabled on start up. I am fairly dictatorial on what I allow to run and what I allow to be enabled on start up. Third party applications, while often useful, tend to run in the background when I don't want them to. So, I am not even sure how I have an issue if that is the place where these issues arise from - e.g. third part software.

Can someone explain this error to me and generally what one needs to do in order to resolve it, please? Just want to make sure I am doing the right things.

Any help or guidance would be highly appreciated! Thank you!

For those who may want to know I am running Windows 10 Pro on a Ryzen 3900X system. Not sure the hardware matters there.

Here is a link to the actual error I saved. View: https://imgur.com/a/KwziDeX

ubuysa

Distinguished
A stack-based buffer is really what it says on the tin. It's a buffer used by an application for reading and writing data which is created in a stack structure, where data is pushed onto the stack and later popped off again. The error occurs because the application using the stack-based buffer has attempted to write more data than the size of the buffer will allow, thus 'overrunning the stack-based buffer'. This is essentially an application programming error, it's not a Windows or hardware error.

The TextInputHost.exe program is (as far as I can determine ) a digitally-signed Microsoft program (so it's not the source of the error) that apparently manages emoji and GIF picking. As such it's likely being called from some messaging (or similar) program, and that (third-party) program is messing up the buffer allocation. I would look at the (third-party) messaging app that's (probably) causing this. I understand that Twitch and Discord can both cause this TextInputHost.exe error.

I can't tell you how to fix it, but a web search results in several suggestions.

pleadnepenthe

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
A stack-based buffer is really what it says on the tin. It's a buffer used by an application for reading and writing data which is created in a stack structure, where data is pushed onto the stack and later popped off again. The error occurs because the application using the stack-based buffer has attempted to write more data than the size of the buffer will allow, thus 'overrunning the stack-based buffer'. This is essentially an application programming error, it's not a Windows or hardware error.

The TextInputHost.exe program is (as far as I can determine ) a digitally-signed Microsoft program (so it's not the source of the error) that apparently manages emoji and GIF picking. As such it's likely being called from some messaging (or similar) program, and that (third-party) program is messing up the buffer allocation. I would look at the (third-party) messaging app that's (probably) causing this. I understand that Twitch and Discord can both cause this TextInputHost.exe error.

I can't tell you how to fix it, but a web search results in several suggestions.

Thank you - I appreciate it; but I read most of that when I Googled the error. Since I am not familiar with it, I thought someone could enlighten me more than google searches would in terms of what it is, what causes it and why, and how to fix it beyond what google can tell me.

kanewolf

Titan