[SOLVED] Standard 1.2V vs Pre-Overclocked 1.35V RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2020
Hello.
Is there any advantage when going for DDR4 RAM with higher frequency (+500~600MHz) but also higher voltage (+0.15V)?

For example, these two:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R#tab-tech-specs
One is 2666MHz@1.2V and the other is 3200MHz@1.35V and they both have almost the same timings. This makes me think that 3200 is simply preoverclocked variant. 3200 also costs 15% more (at least on my local market). And there are a lot of DDR4 2400-2666@1.2V offers on the craigslist right now, so the competition and hence prices out there are quite attractive.

Can I just save some money by going for 2666, overclocking it to 3200@1.35V and getting the same performance? Is that not guaranteed that I can reach that speed at 1.35V?

Solution
Ram faster than stock 1.2v is really well binned DDR4 ram that can be overclocked to run at higher speeds using 1.35v.

If you want faster ram, buy faster ram in the first place.
You may be able to overclock stock ram, but do not count on it.
If the ram was capable of higher speeds, it would have been used in a higher speed kit that could sell for more.

At equal speeds, lower cas numbers are better.
Your first selection point for ram is to get enough for what you need.
For most, a 2 x 8gb kit is sufficient.
Past that, actual app performance or gaming fps is not much dependent on fast ram.

You would probably find that the price difference between 2666 and 3200 is not great.
You might even find 3600 priced well. I would not chase faster.
Feb 18, 2020
Yeah, 3200 is going to perform better than 2666 out of the box. However, if I'm going to increase voltage on 2666 to 1.35V and overclock it to 3200 then they will perform equally, am I right?
I'm going to pair it with INTEL Core i3-9350K.
I've seen this video by the way. What I can take from it is that there's no point going higher than 3200. At least not right now, maybe in the future...

Ram faster than stock 1.2v is really well binned DDR4 ram that can be overclocked to run at higher speeds using 1.35v.

If you want faster ram, buy faster ram in the first place.
You may be able to overclock stock ram, but do not count on it.
If the ram was capable of higher speeds, it would have been used in a higher speed kit that could sell for more.

At equal speeds, lower cas numbers are better.
Your first selection point for ram is to get enough for what you need.
For most, a 2 x 8gb kit is sufficient.
Past that, actual app performance or gaming fps is not much dependent on fast ram.

You would probably find that the price difference between 2666 and 3200 is not great.
You might even find 3600 priced well. I would not chase faster.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.