Star Trek Online is on Server Overload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Haha who knew?! I bet it's very hard to start an MMORPG these days as you never know how many users are actually going to flock to your game. You either spend way to much and give your game an early death or spend to little and end up with a lot of pissed users.

Gankak

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Picard was better really? I don't want a captain who is at best a metro-sexual and a damn Frenchman. I would rather have Janeway than Picard she had more balls than him.

NivenFres

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Been playing since the open beta. Only had a couple times where I had login issues. So far it's a decent game. It needs a little polish still too. While I don' think it's going to be a WoW killer, it's been a lot of fun.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I'm gonna buy the game and make a bold terran character named Pikard, or something similar ... (Yes I'm original :p, I know)

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I played the beta. They were still ordering servers on the fly to handle load. That was only a few weeks ago, and for only about 10,000 active keys. I can't imaging in a few weeks that they were able to install enough additional servers to handle over half a million logins.... I fully expects a day-one onslaught of epic proportions.

Thankfully, I don't have to suffer with it, as the Beta period was enough for me to know this is a game I have no further interest in.

Gripes:
1) flying a starship in combat is about as exciting as watching 2 aircraft carriers do a circle. It's excruciatingly slow. These ships are not fighter planes.
2) These are not fighter planes! WTF do they fly as if there's an atmosphere in space? No momentum, can't rotate on all 3 axis, it only moves in the direction the nose of the craft is pointing, shutting down engines does not allow the craft to continue course.
3) Cooperative FPS mode ("beamed down"), is another god awful engine. Slow, dated by modern standards, limited controls. ANY current MMO that uses minions/henchmen has a far superior engine. After a few hours bored in space combat, I was hoping for a more exciting ground scenario, but no, it's also painfully slow.
4) The interface. It;s horrible. It has a vaguely Trek-like feel, but it's all pastels. i expected sharp colors and clear, readible displays, similar to what's on TV, but the UI feels almost childish this way. It;s also difficult to read many screens, and some real-time indicators, even on a 1900x1200 resolution which most people won't have.
5) The camera engine and flight controls. Ships perform best in combat when you have multiple firing arcs overlaping between you and the target (aka, usually the target was to be to your port or starboard), yet the flight controls work best when the camera is directly behind the ship (as turning is accomplished by clicking both mouse buttons in the direction you want to turn). This means, most commonly, your target is very difficult to keep ON SCREEN while fighting. One of the most common combat scenarios in Star Trak had someone at the chair scream out "Attack pattern Delta!" yet there are no automated controls for ship movement while you control the camera. The game SERIOUSLY needs function to say "circle target" "maintain x distance from target" "roll to present strongest shield to target" etc.
6) Another common statement "take out their engines" or "take out their shield generator" Once their shields are weak, all you do is beat on the hull. You can't target specific subsystems, there's no strategy in combat outside of focussing on bringing 1 shield quadrant down by simply being in the right place while firing.

This game SUCKS. It needs a complete UI overhaul; a major upgrade to space combat including ship controlls, targeting, and more; and a completely seperate ground combat engine and UI from the ship (they tried, and failed, to use the same 3D engine in both areas, often when beaming down I'd find myself in a room with lots of people, but I was still a ship, and moved like a ship, for 30 seconds or so.) It's 2 completely different game play experiences, they should look and work different.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Once they fix the hardware issues I hope the spend time on the Klingons. We are so gimped we don't even have signs at our space docks to tell us where things are. You go to a Starfleet base and ther are BIG SIGNS telling you which corridor the Shipyard or Personel office is. And don't get me started on the Klingon Requisition system.

I play games to get away from my real world troubles but gees this is just like work where I cant get a tape despensor for crying out loud, let alone a Mark IV terminal so I don't have to keep rebooting my computer

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Gankak[/nom]Picard was better really? I don't want a captain who is at best a metro-sexual and a damn Frenchman.[/citation]
You're an idiot. He may play a French person but Patrick Stewart is an Englishman. Plus everyone knows that Pike was the best Captain.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Ever hear of WSAD Zelannii? Ship control is a breeze if you know what your doing. Individual system targeting is something you train your officers in at higher levels.

L2Play noob

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
(KIRK)

SCOTTY WE NEED MORE POWER!

(SCOTT)

I'm Giving her ALL WE GOT CAPTAIN!

(KIRK)

Thats not good enough Scotty WE NEED TO TO BETTER!

(SCOTT)

Aye Captain.....Scott out

(SCOTT) talking to him self

"I hate this effing Job"

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Played for six hours yesterday with out any troubles. The only annoying thing I seen was every now and then their was a slight rubberbanding. Oh and I forgot, SusanExpress has already invaded the damned game. Every other damn line in general chat is.. Errr.. Duhrr... Buy 100,000 energies fer $24.99...

SlicerX

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
I found STO lacking a serious Trek environment or feel. The only cool part is the customizable starships. Don't even get me started on ground combat, the "beam down" missions are paaaaainful.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol at the long rant guy whom doesn't seems to have played to the higher levels,

if you wanted more firing arcs, go cruiser like the sovvie, where they have better arc placements (equal amount of slots front and back), and don't place things with a 45 degree arc on them rather put some larger arc weapons or hell turrets (360 degree firing weapon) on it and you can and will hit things no matter where they are

if you want firepower and good turn rates, go tatical, ala defiant and put some 45 degree weapons on them and you can literally run circles around cruisers

if you want to target subsystems like engines and what nots, roll a sci and fly in a sci ship like the intrepid, and they seems to be able to do a lot more in team assists as well.

camera controls work fine if you use both the mouse and your wasd keys to manually turn the thing, mouse is fine for the general direction, wasd is better for fine tuning your ship's arcs

I do say that the lack of automated firing and lack of automated ship following and etc from SFC series is a pain, but hey it's trying to be an action game lol, and imo that is just a fail for star trek, it ain't star wars eh

I do hate the nickle and dimeing of content, granted you may never see them other wise (Klingon feds for example), it just feels bad for the c-store to have things you can buy on day one when the game launched and is not bug free.....

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
There are a few issues that cryptic needs to work on a little bit better but overall I think its pretty good. They are attempting to make a run at a space mmo which is not the easiest thign to do in the first place. Remember this game is also being launched a year earlier than it was supposed to be. So I have to give credit where credit is due. With that being said however.... I do not think the price is set right for your monthly subscriptions. Is STO at the quality level of WoW? Um no. SO why is the subscript structure the same?

Things they ned to work on:

1. Content.. Not just more missions to do , but something to actually draw the player into the game besides running through level as fast as you can. Need more involvement.

2. The way that the instances are set up are pretty much crap. If there is a team of people playing to gether then there should be no reason why when you change to a different map that the team gets split up and into different istances. This is a huge problem with the group play aspect which I am sure they will address.

3. alot of little things which would make the game so much more enjoyable... IE... DPS meters, allowing tags for fleets, improve trading radious for space flight, etc...

4. There is one mission that is far superior to most others in the game and more should be patterned after this one. The Ultimate Kligion.... This is an involved mission and interesting which has throwbacks to old school star trek. This is what makes it fun. Improve on the rest.

G

"Proving that Trek isn't just for geeks, fans flocked to the just-launched PC game"

How is that proven? Wouldn't being a fan make you a geek on some level by default?

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It's been great so far. Agreed, the Ultimate Klingon mission is far better than the rest but the quest line is linking together stuff that's happened in loads of other quests so far - feels like a definite story progression and one that I actually am interested in unlike WoW.

I've only got two real gripes. Firstly, I don't like the fact that this is not the same Star Trek as is described in the post Nemesis novels. It makes sense because otherwise it wouldn't be nearly volatile enough to be fun. I'm thinking of it as being a kind of parallel universe. My second gripe is that while the mission scaling due to who's in your group if you're in one is a good idea, it does mean that you can't use groups as a social element. You can't have a few mates grouped together doing different missions at the same time so that you can chat easily otherwise the missions for the lower level people will end up being much harder. A chat group function would be good although it looks like we'll just have to set up a mini Fleet.

On the whole, not bad so far. It's got a long way to go though but then even WoW was meant to be a bit limited when it first came out - no raids etc.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Having played STO in closed and open beta I have to say overall it does remind me of how WoW was when it first launched. WoW suffered the same thing that STO is experiencing now. Also most MMO's go through growing pains once it reached the public anyway cause you will have so much more people playing it and has a result a lot more issues will be discovered than you ever could have accounted for in closed or open beta. I am going with the wait and see approach right now with STO and hopefully, just like WoW, it will vastly improve in the next 3 to 6 months.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Disclaimer - I haven't played it, yet, but I have watched a bunch of the videos on Youtube and given what they could have accomplished had they continued down the lines of improving the "ST-Klingon Academy" package in the years since it was released, this appears to be a serious disappointment.

By now you should have been able to play stuff that looked like the battles in STAR TREK verses BABYLON 5 video's that you can find in HD on YouTube with real damage, internal fires, and realistic ship destruction.

It is far closer to something cool for consoles like Playstation/Wii/XBOX than for a real PC-based space combat sim using all of the abilities that multi-monitor, multi-gpu, quad-core PC's have over consoles.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]My second gripe is that while the mission scaling due to who's in your group if you're in one is a good idea, it does mean that you can't use groups as a social element. You can't have a few mates grouped together doing different missions at the same time so that you can chat easily otherwise the missions for the lower level people will end up being much harder. A chat group function would be good although it looks like we'll just have to set up a mini Fleet.[/citation]Excuse me, Captain Noob, of the USS Greenhorn? Groups are for doing missions together. For chatting with a few other noobs, you create a Custom Channel! :D Then get your noob friends to join it. Chat is pretty darn flexible in that game once you understand how to use it. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.