StarCraft 2 Players Get 1 Free Name Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
SC2 should have a naming scheme like in Bad Company 2. One line for your clan name, and one line for your user name. The clan name can be changed whenever you want, but the user name is permanent. That way people who switch clans don't have to pay 10$ to change their names.

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I think the $10 name change fee is actually there as a limiter so people aren't using the service too often. That prevents people from changing their names on a regular basis, as some people will be total jerks one day, then change their name the next if they can get away with it.

Hothr

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]I think the $10 name change fee is actually there as a limiter so people aren't using the service too often. That prevents people from changing their names on a regular basis, as some people will be total jerks one day, then change their name the next if they can get away with it.[/citation]
Yes, it isn't about making money. Blizzard is simply giving you 10 reasons not to change your name.

fatalshot808

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
My Username in Starcraft 2 is "test", I tried to make a single player profile not knowing it was going to be my username online too. This is nice of Blizzard to let you have one free change.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]I think the $10 name change fee is actually there as a limiter so people aren't using the service too often. That prevents people from changing their names on a regular basis, as some people will be total jerks one day, then change their name the next if they can get away with it.[/citation]

Or they could let players change their name once every 30 days, this mostly solves that problem AND it's free.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Hackers, cheaters, scammers, don't need more ways to be anonymous. $10 fee is good way to control those a$$holes!

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I run by my name, but I didn't always.
Changing aliases once n a while can be nice (especially when you've done something silly or regretful), but yes, it's certainly not to be abused.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]SC2 should have a naming scheme like in Bad Company 2. One line for your clan name, and one line for your user name. The clan name can be changed whenever you want, but the user name is permanent. That way people who switch clans don't have to pay 10$ to change their names.[/citation]

It helps prevent shady players who ruin the game for others and then leave and comeback w\ another name.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Why are people whining about the fee? Guild Wars has charged people to change their avatar's name, hair style, gender, etc for years.

Nothing new to see here folks. Shutup and move on.

booseek

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]SC2 should have a naming scheme like in Bad Company 2. One line for your clan name, and one line for your user name. The clan name can be changed whenever you want, but the user name is permanent. That way people who switch clans don't have to pay 10$ to change their names.[/citation]

While I'm sure profit is part of it, it is also a deterrent against those "shady" players that itadakimasu mentioned. If you cheat, badmouth, etc. and are caught, and your name goes out there, then many people will know about it. And if Blizzard wishes to fulfill their vision of StarCraft II as an e-sport, then one record, one permanent name, and one account makes sense to me.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I can't imagine the effort involved in updating a name entry in a database or resetting it to default constitutes a $10.00 fee. However, it seems like more and more companies are starting to do this.

I guess $10.00 is the new $1.00 nowdays =(

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
They could allow me to use whatever characters I want in my damn name. I hate it when you cannot use #'s for a name. :mad:

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hell they'd charge $100 if they could, but people wouldn't buy into that idea much. $10 seems nice to most people, so it flies. I'm still a $0 person myself, so I'll live with my one name.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]fatalshot808[/nom]My Username in Starcraft 2 is "test", I tried to make a single player profile not knowing it was going to be my username online too. This is nice of Blizzard to let you have one free change.[/citation]

Actually i like the nickname "test" its original enough and like all great nicks you got it by accident. Its always better then anything-ster or anything-zors or any name with digits or inanimate objects as a nick.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]$10 to change a piece of text in a database? Way to nickle and dime your user base Blizzard.[/citation]

I would say the same thing.

except it seems more like a penalty than anything else. its probably a good thing that people can't change their name all the time. should hopefully help stop people being dicks...

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
If the rationale is to prevent people being dicks and changing their name, that rationale says that changing your name is a problem. Making people pay $10 to participate in a problem seems selfish.

Like selling 1 day official vandalism passes for $1000 to make money.

And btw, changing names is something you can do in every single game bar SC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.