StarCraft II NDA Lifted, Details Unleashed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'll throw in the obligatory "I won't be buying this game" comment. ...Not that i ever said i would be buying it, but i thought about it for a few. But all the evil, I just can't take. Commenter "Zoonie" speaks the absolute truth. Games are going downhill because not enough people are catching on to this fundamental behavioral shift in the industry. Vote with your dollars! It's the only thing they listen to!

By the way, there will be piracy, and there WILL be LAN play*! It's going to be on fricking sourceforge ffs!!!

This is just another case of Idiot Company implementing draconian restrictions cuz tech-ignorant bean-counters and managers believe too much in technology and moral righteousness. They don't realize the force they are up against when it comes to crackers/hackers. That the power to create ("copy protection", "DRM" and evil s*** like that) is the power to destroy ("copy protection", "DRM" and evil s*** like that). We're talking about ppl who are too busy to waste time to posting on this board, because they are ... right now .... hacking! For fun! How can those who simply do it for money EVER prevail against those who do it for fun/love/challenge? Crunch THOSE numbers much?!

(*It may not be perfect, but it will exist. IMO Multi-Theft Auto pretty much removed any remaining doubts about what aftermarket hacking can introduce to a game. Bless their little hearts, the ppl who work on this kind of stuff, cuz you know they work 10x as hard on their product and care 10x as much for it to be awesome. I laugh at you, Vivendi-Blizzard, and await the inevitable.)

@ Matt87_50: well, why u think it was NDA'ed this long?!?! Damage control, ofc.

DRM are not helping the industry, using Games for Windows Live is not helping the industry, using Battlenet over anything else is not helping the industry, not allowing lan games are not helping the industry...

I wonder lately if Blizzard is actually making a game or an anti-piracy software...

ebattleon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Star craft has bee the neglected way too long and i get the feeling that it is not going to live up to the hype. As To Valve DRM I had to literally hack my registry to remove steam after i installed half life 2. I could uninstall the game from ADD Remove programs but i could not remove steam the same way. That's the way virus makers create software to behave not legit companies I WILL never buy another valve game.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]iulianx[/nom]Am i the only one who doesn't know what NDA is? Define your abbreviations, please![/citation]

we would, but unfortunately our NDAs forbid us from telling you.

frost7500

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
never been 1 for piracy. always wanted the box/manual. way to go blizzard. with drm i will now be pirating starcraft 3. grats.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@frost7500
I agree with montezuma and I bet he know what you stated. I do not mind DRM when it is a disk check for a key. What he is talking about and I agree is the draconian measures they are starting to invoke. On-line activation needed for a off-line game, install limits (rent-a-game). After I buy a game I should be able to sell it and recoup some of my cash if I wish, just like console gamers can do.
Bioware has stated Dragon Age will be disk check only, I will buy it.
Fallout 3 has SecuRom but it is not set to the drconian level, disk check only, I own it and love it.
Left4Dead, on-line activation required (won't buy it) to lock down the serial number to you, screw you Valve and Steam too.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
No LAN.

I liked the POD casts alot, but no LAN kills it. If there is draconian DRM, ill wait until TPB version of it. Play the single and delete it.

I still play starcraft to this day. So do my brothers and many freinds. All legit (SC+BW) always in LAN. I am a good blizzard customer. I have The Lost Vikings, SC+BW D1,D2+LOD,WarII and WarIII+TFT. Played WOW for 2 Years.

If they impose Securom or alike and don't give lan support, this will be the first Blizzard Game i will pirate. And the one ill play the least for sure.

If they put

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]Having DRM on that game pretty much kills what little incentive I had for buying it. I thought it might be interesting, but I'm not gonna put up with DRM for that over hyped game. I won't be playing that one.[/citation]

Over hyped? You haven't even played it yet! Way to demonstrate your prejudice.

And if you don't care about this game, why are you even on this page reading about it?

vaderseven

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]THIS game deserves hype, and promises to be an instant classic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FINot this starcraft 2 tripe. Sequls are almost never innovative. Thats why they are sequels... Wasn't starcraft a play on the title "Warcraft"?[/citation]

StarCraft is one the most played games of all time. Starcraft FAR exceeded Warcraft II (which also exceeded warcraft I) in sales and fan base size. Warcraft III also blew Warcraft II out the water. I believe a little game called Diablo II is doing fine these days as well. Blizzard sequels tend to do just fine.

Keep in mind that StarCraft spawned a global following that still has many dedicated gamers today. You can still go to Wal Mart and buy the battle chest for 20 bucks. It sells daily. Game came out in 1998.

I'm far from the only one that plays SC on daily basis on my i7 computer.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
I can live with DRM....as long as I don't need INTRUSIVE internet verification. I love steam. It gives you plenty of space to do what you want, and you truly do OWN your game. However, if I have to use battle.net to verify my ownership every time I play AND there's no LAN support, then what's to prevent me from feeling like i'm playing World of Whorecraft other than the fact that I don't need to level up for two days before it becomes fun. I honestly wonder if World of Starcraft might actually be one of those "little" DLC they were talking about...

G

I played SC for many years, and now my three teenage boys look forward to playing SC2. I have the money and the will to pay for games. First I buy one copy, and install it all 4 gaming PCs in the house. Then we all take turns playing for a while, and in the end I buy the required number of copies. For good games e.g. HF/CS and WCIII, I have bougt 4 copies. I happily accept typing username/password for online identification, but I do not accept rootkits, restrictions on number of installations etc. If you don't like the the DRM, don't buy the game! If you don't buy the game, don't play it. By the way, do you really take the risk of using cracks?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kslghost[/nom]Almost every game in the world has some form of DRM. DRM is a necessary evil, as the world thinks everything should be free. I don't necessarily agree with all the directions that Blizzard has taken, but if you say you were going to buy a game or not because of DRM, you were probably never going to buy the game. You were very likely going to download it because you knew it would be readily available.Stardock's Demigod is an interesting case. The game shipped without DRM. 100,000+ downloads within a week caused the servers to shutdown and crash constantly, because they forgot to properly block people even trying to access the servers. A company goes the way of supporting non-DRM methods and ends up paying dearly for it with an unplayable game for those who went out and purchased legitimate copies of the game.If you go on a LAN tunneling type service, such as Garena or Gameranger, there are thousands upon thousands (maybe a million across all different games and services) that have illegally downloaded the game and play it on these workarounds. If you think about it, perhaps as much as 50% of a game's audience may be people who have downloaded the game illegitimately, and I'm pretty sure any game company is willing to sacrifice the so-stating 5% of people who absolutely refuse to buy a game because of DRM.My hope is that the DRM that loads up with Starcraft is a simple, smart system. I personally love Steam, as it doesn't require me to keep a bunch of crappy space-wasting disks or remember obscure passwords and logins or have CD-keys written on scraps of paper.[/citation]

Starcraft already has a sort of DRM - you need a valid key to play on the battle net.
Regarding Stardock's Demigod: how many "pirates" would have bought that game, if it would have been protected? Could you name a popular game that wasn't cracked? So what's the point of DRM, frustrating legit users?

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
As the more intelligent people have pointed out, DRM has been around for years. As long as it's not an "invasive" DRM (StarForce, SecuRom), then I have no problems with it.

To be honest, I'm more disappointed with the lack of a co-operative campaign. I thought I had read somewhere that there was going to be a co-op campaign available. Since SC2 doesn't seem to have that, I'm wondering now for which game I read that for - C&C4 maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.