Stardock CEO Developing Start Menu App for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mykel

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
After you enter your email address, the download link will readily be available. Currently using it and it is working great. I wonder why Microsoft haven't thought of this? The Mini metro start menu is quite nice and feels native. you can also customize the org image with the various options included. great job for a freeware, stardock.

nikolayivanov321

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012
So I have to install 3rd party software and do registry modifications just to have my system working properly? No thanks, I'm sticking with Win 7.

AznCracker

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
used them before. It is a good program and it doesnt slow you down unless you are still rocking a single core computer from 5 years ago.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
He described the issue I have with the new Start screen perfectly. Although, to make it seamless, he should use the new windows logo in either a flat blue circle, or by itself.

G

QUOTE:
"So I have to install 3rd party software and do registry modifications just to have my system working properly? No thanks, I'm sticking with Win 7."

I'm sticking with MacOS/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris whatever, had enough of windows stuff in 2006 already...

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]let me know when Windows 9 comes out....[/citation]

Win 9 will most propably have new version of metro interface, so why you are waiting for win9? If you have win7 you don't need win 8, there is not so much difference, but Metro interface is not reason to wait win9 instead win8.
MS has now "common" platform for desktops, laptops and pads... there is no any reason why they would abandon that situation. It makes no economical sense to them.
And yeah don't get me wrong, I am still wainting official win7 interface to win8... Have to wait a little bit longer... But metro is here to stay, that is sure!

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]He described the issue I have with the new Start screen perfectly. Although, to make it seamless, he should use the new windows logo in either a flat blue circle, or by itself.[/citation]

You can right-click the new start menu and change the icon to the new Windows 8 logo.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
stardock stuff is all right for a desktop but not so good on a mobile computer. Their eye candy uses a lot more cycles then needed on a battery powered machine and if there are any graphics that use your video card your battery time takes a nose dive. Of course that is with Win7 and prior, I would be curious if their apps are less resource intensive on Win8 and mobile devices.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"Are you hating life because the Start menu has been stripped out of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview? There's an app for that... soon."

i wouldnt say i hate life over this.

do i hate MS ... maybe a little

do i hate windohs 8 ... Definitely

will i ever buy windohs 8 ... hell no.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]let me know when Windows 9 comes out....[/citation]
Considering this is the way Microsoft is going forward with their GUI, I think you should be sure to keep a disk of Windows 7 handy for the rest of your computing years.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This whole "Start button" thing is getting blown way out of proportion. I am using the Win8 Consumer Preview right this minute, and I can tell you that if you go into it with an open mind, it's not even about re-learning the OS. If you take the old Start menu, make it an entire screen-sized page, and redesign the list of programs as a bunch of boxes on a horizontal axis rather than a vertical one, that is the essence of the Metro UI. It's not as big an innovation as MSFT seems to want people to think, but it isn't as horrid a blasphemous change as some people seem to want to believe. Immediately after I log on, I simply click on the desktop icon, or hit the Windows key, and I'm on the regular desktop with all my programs up and running, and all the programs I use most often already on my taskbar at the bottom anyway. I highly recommend that if you can't or don't want to test the OS yourself, read real actual reviews of how it works instead of a lot of these people who obviously haven't used it or have a severe bias against MSFT or anything new in general.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The CP isn't the full release and I reckon if enough people complain (which they will) the Start menu will get a reprieve and will be put back in the full version.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nikolayivanov321[/nom]So I have to install 3rd party software and do registry modifications just to have my system working properly? No thanks, I'm sticking with Win 7.[/citation]

wow people really do understand that way of thinking... wish they didn't hold 7 on a pedestal and admit that xp was a better ui than 7

ramon zarat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom] there is no any reson why they would abandon that situation. It makes no economical sense to them. But metro is here to stay, that is sure![/citation]

1- In makes **virtual** economy sense to them in their ivory tower before the release of Windows 8 and its abomination desktop interface Metro. Once the user base revolts (they already do like I've never seen before and I've been around since DOS) and totally refuse to buy it, we will see how much "economic sense" it actually make in real life

2- Metro is already dead on desktop. You don't know it, MS don't know it, but the reality check is undeniable: The Metro interface is pure nonsense for a desktop / corporate environment, PERIOD. The tsunami backlash that is coming their way is of unprecedented epic proportion.

3- Metro is NOT here to say. Microsoft WILL bend. I can bet you Windows 9 won't have Metro and a patch to remove it from Windows 8 desktop edition is most probably underway as we speak. Microsoft is stupid but not suicidal. Since no one will buy this abomination on desktop, they will remove it. I can assure you.

4- Not even Windows ME or Vista stirred so much visceral hate and controversy. And on top, so soon in its development? For a beta product not even released yet? Wow... Metro on desktop has "failure", capital F, written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.