Start Saving: Core i7 PCs Will Be Expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
#1, don't kill the piggy.

Well, considering this is the pre-ordering price, what do you expect? Wait three months and everything expect the CPU will be 20% off MSRP.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I guess for those of us using 32bit OS there will be no need for all 6 slots, and we will be able to use all 6 slots with 64 bit OS....

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]starhoof[/nom]I guess for those of us using 32bit OS there will be no need for all 6 slots, and we will be able to use all 6 slots with 64 bit OS....[/citation]
Your fortune with a 32bit os is going to be relatively shortlived anyway. After all microsoft will cease making security updates for xp within the next 1½ years anyway, and thus a vista 64 does all of a sudden seem attractive to anyone who installs a new legal windows.

As for the prices - c2d wasn't a bargain when it was new either, so it's not much of a surprise.

We can just hope amd rediscovers its talent and launches some super cpu with great oc potential for use in their existing motherboards. Then the intel prices will fall to reasonable levels. But that won't happen

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Ugh....
There goes my video card and my sweet case... Its good to see progress on this but I more expected the board to be like 250$ not 400$ ( yeah i know its nieave) I hope that the real price after they come out is significatly less.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]layzer253[/nom]And yet they are all gonna have ps/2 and ide still....[/citation]
Are you sure about that? even the ich9 doesn't support ide anymore (asus, gigabyte, msi etc. add support with jmicron or other seperate controllers)

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Joe_The_Dragon[/nom]Just think how much higher this will be if amd where to die.Amd has better MB's then Intel at the same cost.[/citation]
AMD has no motherboard at this cost or speed so this isn't a fair comparison. P45 vs. 790FX/GX is more relative.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
The CPU prices look decent actually. According to what I remember, when Core 2 was released, only the extreme edition was available for some time. This time they are offering 3 options, which is nice. At $284 for a newly released technology, that's respectable. The motherboards on the other hand look like "top-of-the-line" versions. The Asus one mentioned includes a (who-knows-how-useful) LCD display for overclocking and onboard SAS, which I'm sure raises the price at least $150. The not-so-feature-rich motherboards will be a bit expensive, but nothing like mentioned above. I'm sure the standard motherboard prices will be closer to MSI's $300. Plus, let's hope they all throw in SLi :) !

brianhillier

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Any ideas if current power supplies will work? I see an ATX connector - but I was also reading about a six phase power outlay ...

SkorchedPC

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
First, i just want to say the links do not work (you have to edit them to access the link). Second, I agree that these are launch prices and it will go down once supply becomes sufficient. I also agree that competition (if amd can dish out some) will help lower these prices further. These first batches, iirc, would not support SLI yet due to the late announcement of Nvidia. It would indeed be best to give it a few months.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
This is the same thing that happened in the nvidia vs ati/amd war.

The competition didn't have a good enough product to throw into the fray, so nvidia cranked the cost of their GTX 200 series cards to make a nice profit. amd/ati finally released a competing product and brought the prices back down.

Now we're seeing the exact same trend in the CPU market, Intel has no competition to speak of, so they're going to rake in the profits as long as they can with inflated pricing.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
"Core i7 PCs Will Be Expensive" - Well DUH! All new cutting edge tech is pricey. Did you know that bears are catholic and the pope sh1ts in the woods?

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
The motherboard is expensive, how much of that is the intel chipset cost to MSI though? I think MSI is raking in a profit on the new tech.

The CPUs themselves don't seem outrageously expensive imo. And the tripple channel ram is a non issue, the more RAM i can cram into a system the happier I am.

Your fortune with a 32bit os is going to be relatively shortlived anyway. After all microsoft will cease making security updates for xp within the next 1½ years anyway, and thus a vista 64 does all of a sudden seem attractive to anyone who installs a new legal windows

so your saying people with windows vista 32 will be out in the cold too

hannibal

Distinguished
I have to agree on that 32 bit windows will be the mainstream at least 5-6 years... The next windows 7 is 32 bit, the 32 bit Wista has much more installs than 64 bit version... So most programs including games will be 32 bit versions at least the same 5-6 years... Hopefully we will see some games that use more than one or two cores before that.

I7 will come down in prize, but without AMD "support" it will take some time...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm just going to wait it out until prices drops and maybe till they release the second line. This way prices won't be so high and I'll have a larger list to choose from. I still have my overclocked E4300 @ 3.2ghz and it still preforms good enough for me right now.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
there aint no reason those i7 boards need to be that high unless they are super duper extreme, multi layer, multi phase, 3x16 PCIE, overclocking behemoths with every feature but the kitchen sink thrown in.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]there aint no reason those i7 boards need to be that high unless they are super duper extreme, multi layer, multi phase, 3x16 PCIE, overclocking behemoths with every feature but the kitchen sink thrown in.[/citation]
Uhh,well they do have the maximum level of PCI-E and they have Crossfire and SLI..that's gotta count for something.

Status
Not open for further replies.