Start up problem following game crash

Wibbs

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with this. Attempting to exit the game I was playing through Steam, something went wrong, leaving a black screen that I couldn't exit. Attempting to bring up the Task Manager made the bottom bar visible, but selecting the Task Manager there did nothing.

I did a hard reset of the computer, and since then I've been having a problem I can't diagnose. Whenever I now start the machine, Windows starts fine, with the desktop loading etc. However, something is causing it to hang before all the services are loaded. This causes a delay of anything from 10 to 30 seconds. Whilst this is happening I can move the mouse around etc, but attempting to start up a program or task manager won't work until the computer has stopped hanging.

Checking through the event logs, the error linked to the original crash appears to be:

"The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
Graphics Exception: Const out of Bound"
Now, whenever I restart the computer I get a bunch of warnings and errors:

"The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&2."
"The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ROOT\PARAGONBLOCKDEVICE\0000."
several errors relating to the Service Control Manager

The Panda Product Service did not respond on starting
The PinnacleUpdate Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
and the following error twice in a row

The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
I've looked up the WUDFRd error, and reinstalled my USB drivers as suggested on a number of the forum posts that discuss it, but this hasn't fixed the problem.

My basic system specs are:

Windows 8.1 64 Bit
i5-4690k
Asus Z97-A motherboard
32GB RAM
GTX 970

I would welcome any help with this, as although I am pretty tech savvy, this one has me completely stumped.

Thanks,

Phil

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
That's a tough one. I remember this from awhile back...give it a look:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-Nvlddmkm-Error/

Otherwise, registry might be corrupted. Can you try to do a system recovery to a time previous to the first crash?

Wibbs

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I have a system backup using Paragon 14 Free, but its from over a month and a half ago. I have decent separation of system files and other stuff onto a different disk, so reverting to that wouldn't be catastrophic, but there would still be enough stuff that happened in that month and a half for it to be a real headache to get back to where I am with it today.