Starting a Website

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
actually u gave me an idea il make a category for each computer part, that way all the specific info will go under that category that it belongs to. So like for yours il make a Hard drive category

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
that because i have to approve them, and dont worry about it was one of my stupid friends i asked him to check it out and he wrote something dumb in the comment box. Thanks for looking out though.

Thats the reason i have the approve setting on in case my friends decide to go and post something dumb it wont show up.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
i actually put the where to as a page that way its always on top. I like it , and i kinda want to do like prizes you know for instance i have 2 7 hour starcarft 2 keys and 2 world of warcraft keys and i would like to make like a competition where say people post the pictures of there rigs or something you know. but im not sure how i can do it as not everyone can post they can only comment so the only way i see it is they would have to link it.

Do you have any ideas

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
ima get the domain and then i believe i can get this thing called simple press which is a plugin which allows a forum that way in the forum we can post stuff like that.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
well i need some help since wordpress wont allow ads and later on i want to put some ads to make money. So what i need to do know is find a web host provider but i need to read about which one is good. Do you know any?

Who is your Internet Service Provider? Are you in the US? Check and ask abut web hosting services. Have them post your site on their servers. Also, ask about web developers. They will tailor your site to what you want.

If you want ads, be careful. There are things I want to discuss with you before you initiate you new site to an open source system. Going to the cloud is a dangerous risk, and I think you should have your ISP talk to you and the web developer about security. if you want people to join as in like what we do here at THG, then a security system is needed. Talk to Verisign.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
oh shyt looks like theres a lot to know about hosting a web. Damn, so how do people make money from blogs ? they just write stuff and have some ads on there.

First off, If you want to make money, you need a reputable site. Second, it does not take 2nd grade math to do this. A website is a big responsibility. That is why I want to guide you.

People who have blogs are just that...money makers. they hire inknowledgeable people to write stuff an abuse their advertisers.

What YOU want to do is host a Forum...
A forum is an open community where one creates a username, avatar, and posts their knowledge on the site. They will need an email account, but that is like with every Forum.

If one wants to have advertisements, I strongly caution... beware of malware. That is why you need to have a dedicated IT professional at the site of the servers. If you want to advertise, oh let us say, Newegg.com: You would contact them and make a deal on what price you would wan them to pay per ad per page, for how long, and how much bandwidth you allow them to allocate.

First, I would like you to ask a Moderator if you could contact a guy by the name of JFAMD. He will help you on what you need as towards a server for your site. he won't help you start the site, but he will give you the hardware advise to what you need.

If you have any questions, just PM me or post here.

Dogman_1234

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Well the forum was just and extra idea, what i want is a site or blog which ever and i was thinking of using google adsense to begin with the advertising. But i see that i have to get a domain and sign up with someone to host it, i read that bluehost is a good one. I thought i would be able to put ads on the wordpress site but i found out i cant so now i need to re think everything and make sure i know how to do it this time.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
yeah but i need an idea of what kind of website i want like just a topic about computers wont really get big, all the sites and blogs i looked at they contain everything from politics to technology ect, i dont know man i really want to try running some kind of my own business, and thought a website would be a good place to start and see what its like.

A website is not that lucrative.

Model after these stores:

Micro Center
Fry Electronics
CompUSA

Basically, sell computers and components!

If you make them cheaper than the competition,( according to the principles of Capitalism,) you could be the next big thing since newegg.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
how else to websites make money ? and iv been looking for a job for a while now and nothing which is why i want to start some sort of business

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
yes but think about it i have to get them cheaper for what ima sell it, and big stores like frys, micro center ect, how can i have a better price then them on products? where would i get the products for cheap ?

how do i go about this

Try asking them:

http://www.asipartner.com/Default.aspx

Before you go about asking how to start a company, try to attend lectures at local colleges about business, write a business plan, hire a bank to get a loan,( this requires the business plan), and initiate a plan to set up a company.

It is really easy, and in the US, Obama is 'trying' to help small businesses.

I mean by 'trying' is I mean it is not a top priority right now.