[SOLVED] Startup warning: "Memory modules were found on non-optimized memory slot"

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi everyone,
From what I understand, this is just advising me to change which slots I have my RAM plugged into. My question is, why is it telling me this now when it never used to?
Thanks

Solution
I'll check soon and see if they're in the right slots then report back.
If they are in right slots then failure of one stick could cause such error message. Let's say you have sticks in slots 2 and 4, and then stick at slot 2 fails (we are assuming kind of failure that won't stop the board from booting) - so now board only sees one stick at slot 4 and that's incorrect position for one stick build. So make sure both sticks work.
Can a windows update maybe run in the background that could cause it somehow? Like an update he was unaware of that played with some settings or such?
Uh, I saw all kinds of poo Windows update can do, but can't imagine how it could achieve that feat. My first guess was sticks were indeed placed in wrong slots and just some BIOS setting was preventing the error message from appearing, so BIOS update or CMOS reset could undo it. I think you really need to take a look and see if the sticks are in correct slots. And if they are, your friend's motherboard must be really confused.

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Uh, I saw all kinds of poo Windows update can do, but can't imagine how it could achieve that feat. My first guess was sticks were indeed placed in wrong slots and just some BIOS setting was preventing the error message from appearing, so BIOS update or CMOS reset could undo it. I think you really need to take a look and see if the sticks are in correct slots. And if they are, your friend's motherboard must be really confused.

If they are in right slots then failure of one stick could cause such error message. Let's say you have sticks in slots 2 and 4, and then stick at slot 2 fails (we are assuming kind of failure that won't stop the board from booting) - so now board only sees one stick at slot 4 and that's incorrect position for one stick build. So make sure both sticks work.

Reactions: takearushfan82
Solution

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
I'm such an idiot. Evidently when I built it I put both in the first two slots. It's fine now.