State Of Tango, Google I/O 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Google has not yet manufactured any Tango devices itself
I get your broader point about end-user products, but who made their Yellowstone developer tablet? Maybe they contracted out bits of the design & manufacturing, but it seemed to be basically an in-house effort. I've also read about a more limited Tango phone that predated the tablet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_(platform)#The_Peanut_phone

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The room-emptying app seemed quite impressive. If those are real photos, I'm surprised at how well it predicted the wall shading & floor texture.

I love the 3D CAT scan, BTW. In the future, I'm sure someone will similarly enable AR devices to view ultrasound. That's really something I'd like to see on a Hololens-style device.

markbrownn

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Very impressive and useful at the same time. But it won't be that user friendly I guess.
And you are sure that Google has manufactured this Tango device?

"scan a chair to make a 3D model of it"
:-O
WOW!!! I've been dreaming of that ability for years!
*Wondering if I could use this to scan other items for 3D modeling.*
This ability would be very nice to have for VR. Imagine scanning yourself and instead of using an odd avatar. Others, (family and friends) could see the real you instead of a dinosaur or something else.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

There allegedly have been apps for normal phones (for years) that can do this, though I haven't tried them.

Here are some scans people made with Tango devices. The quality of the scan will vary based on the app and the device used (most scans are probably from the old tablet).

https://sketchfab.com/search?q=tango

Don't underestimate how much work is involved in cleaning up the model, adding joints, tweaking the kinematics, etc. But someone will probably write an app for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.