Question Static electricity between bare CPU socket and heatsink

Nov 12, 2021
So here's the story: I am building a PC with Ryzen CPU right now, however the 8pin CPU power cable of my PSU is a bit short so I need to do some planning with how the cable route around the heatsink. So I put my heatsink on the bare CPU socket (without CPU since it hasn't been delivered) and began my planning and in the process of doing so, I've rub the bottom of the heatsink (the copper part) with the socket a few times as I slided it in and out . Since static electricity is produced when two different material rub with each other, will my Mobo now charged with static electricity?

At that time, my case wasn't grounded and I also didn't wear any anti ESD strap. I built my PC on ceramic floor tiles with barefoot. Will it kill any of my other components such as CPU, GPU, RAM, M.2 SSD when I install them on the Mobo now? Or is there any way to discharge the static electricity on the Mobo/socket safely? I know I am an idiot, but I wasn't aware of ESD until recently. Also sorry for my broken English.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So here's the story: I am building a PC with Ryzen CPU right now, however the 8pin CPU power cable of my PSU is a bit short so I need to do some planning with how the cable route around the heatsink. So I put my heatsink on the bare CPU socket (without CPU since it hasn't been delivered) and began my planning and in the process of doing so, I've rub the bottom of the heatsink (the copper part) with the socket a few times as I slided it in and out . Since static electricity is produced when two different material rub with each other, will my Mobo now charged with static electricity?

At that time, my case wasn't grounded and I also didn't wear any anti ESD strap. I built my PC on ceramic floor tiles with barefoot. Will it kill any of my other components such as CPU, GPU, RAM, M.2 SSD when I install them on the Mobo now? Or is there any way to discharge the static electricity on the Mobo/socket safely? I know I am an idiot, but I wasn't aware of ESD until recently. Also sorry for my broken English.
Build the PC and stop stressing.

Reactions: CountMike