[SOLVED] Static fan with high CFM

revenantbacus

Reputable
May 15, 2018
Hello,

Im upgrading my pc fans so i can get efficient cooling and i cant decide on what to get and im in a tight budget. I want to make my build a black and white theme and i found this fan for a cheap price: http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/115/name/WF-12025 and im just wondering if i can use this as a rear fan despite of its static design. I know the airflow is more effective in terms of open space but will this fan work as good as af fan? BTW im from philippines so its hard to find cheap known brands here.

Any answer is highly appreciated, thank you!

Solution
Those are good "general rules". That truth is you can design for high airflow at small backpressure, or for good airflow even against more backpressure, but not both. BUT the real point is, what IS the airflow at the likely backpressure?

In your situation, OP, the likely backpressure is very low - rear exhaust with little obstruction in the airflow path. So forget the backpressure specs, and look mainly at the air flow specs for any fans you consider. The fan spec for AIR FLOW is always the maximum that fan can deliver in a the zero-backpressure condition, so all fans' specs can be compared that way. Just pick a fan that gives you the highest air flow spec.

Lutfij

Titan
Static pressure fans are meant to push air through thin slits/slots like a radiator or a cooling fin stack, so them being used as a case fan would negate their potential. A regular case fan would push more air than a SP fan. In fact the case fan when paired with a radiator or a cooling tower would perform worse than an SP fan.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Those are good "general rules". That truth is you can design for high airflow at small backpressure, or for good airflow even against more backpressure, but not both. BUT the real point is, what IS the airflow at the likely backpressure?

In your situation, OP, the likely backpressure is very low - rear exhaust with little obstruction in the airflow path. So forget the backpressure specs, and look mainly at the air flow specs for any fans you consider. The fan spec for AIR FLOW is always the maximum that fan can deliver in a the zero-backpressure condition, so all fans' specs can be compared that way. Just pick a fan that gives you the highest air flow spec.

Last edited:
Solution