Discussion Static spark hit a big chip on the motherboard and it survived

AI_Gaming

Commendable
Apr 25, 2021
how did my motherboard survived?

here is the story: i wanted to remove a gpu slot from my case for hot air escaping the case better (i have a sff built and it was suffocating lol) when i removed the slot. the slot metal thing hit a big chip on the motherboard and static charge with a big spark generated (the pc was plugged in. i just shut it down) and at that point i thought that i fried my motherboard 100%. i turn on thr pc from the power button and it doesn't boot, i was so angry at my self and couldn't belive it. but then i unplugged the power cable and replugged it in. i press the power button and the pc boots as usual.

so my question is how did my components survive?

and are my component's lifespan shorten because of this

Ralston18

Titan
Survive:

The electrons found a path to ground that either did not include any critical components or if a critical component was on the path the current flow was not sufficient to cause immediate damage.

Lifespan:

Possibly shortened - difficult to know.

No damage = all okay. Minor damage = maybe okay but another spark or heavy use and then the component fails.

Reactions: CountMike

AI_Gaming

Commendable
Apr 25, 2021
tha
Survive:

The electrons found a path to ground that either did not include any critical components or if a critical component was on the path the current flow was not sufficient to cause immediate damage.

Lifespan:

Possibly shortened - difficult to know.

No damage = all okay. Minor damage = maybe okay but another spark or heavy use and then the component fails.

thank you for replying. guess i am really dumb for removing that slot so carelessly.

kinda bummed out that it shortened the motherboard's lifespan. but hey... it works right??.... :)

tha

thank you for replying. guess i am really dumb for removing that slot so carelessly.

kinda bummed out that it shortened the motherboard's lifespan. but hey... it works right??.... :)
Next time disconnect or shut down PSU when removing/replacing components,depress Start button for few seconds or do nothing for few minutes as MB still gets some power until all (including PSU) capacitors, that might just add some voltage to any static electricity even without a visible spark. Static electricity is not going to damage chips plastic housing but contacts and solder points are vulnerable.

Reactions: AI_Gaming