News Steam Deck Benchmarks Show 60 FPS Gaming Experience With Reasonable Eye Candy

maybe they are using failed QA silicon they have laying around in the factory. not good enough for desktop so put in handheld.
No, that's what the 4700S is about.
Having tested the latest Vega on several iterations of Zen2/Zen3 APUs, I can attest that memory speed is the definite bottleneck : there is no advantage to RDNA2 over Vega when RAM bandwidth is low.

now imagine if they'd of put rdna2 with 5600g/5700g instead of ancient vega....

Bandwidth will still be an issue. That's why AMD still play around vega with APU. Also for the vast majority of market people don't really need extremely strong igpu. Hence there is no immediate need for AMD to come out with APU with stronger gpu that what they already have with vega.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
With the 4700S floating around, AMD has demonstrated that GDDR can be used for general computing (even if the latency is not ideal for other tasks), I am surprised there hasn't been a custom board with a working GPU and GDDR. This seems like a perfect use cast for such a device, I would think.

With the 4700S floating around, AMD has demonstrated that GDDR can be used for general computing (even if the latency is not ideal for other tasks), I am surprised there hasn't been a custom board with a working GPU and GDDR. This seems like a perfect use cast for such a device, I would think.

because it can end up being an expensive venture. replace DDR with GDDR module? will they come soldered with the motherboard? doing so will take away the flexibility we had for decades on PC. make it into a module like regular DRAM? the problem is how many memory maker wiling to enter this kind market since it will be competing with regular PC that use standard DRAM module.

Reactions: fball922
Yeah, they are saying if only the actual 5700G used RDNA rather than Vega.

Maybe they had a deal with Sony and Microsoft to hold off on using RDNA in their own APU, which doesn't apply to Steamdeck since it is also a custom console device.
I doubt it.

The thing with the APUs, or really any CPU with an iGPU, is that they're not there to satisfy gamers. They're there to satisfy system builders who don't want to have a video card in the computer. It's one less item to stock, offer, test, and support. Since Vega is still a class above Intel's offerings, AMD doesn't have any real incentive to adopt Navi into an APU.

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
because it can end up being an expensive venture. replace DDR with GDDR module? will they come soldered with the motherboard? doing so will take away the flexibility we had for decades on PC. make it into a module like regular DRAM? the problem is how many memory maker wiling to enter this kind market since it will be competing with regular PC that use standard DRAM module.
Valid points, but they seem to think there's at least some market that will accept it. I would be curious how many people ACTUALLY upgrade RAM. It's very difficult on many modern laptops as it is, I am not sure soldering it in would be that big of a deal.

Valid points, but they seem to think there's at least some market that will accept it. I would be curious how many people ACTUALLY upgrade RAM. It's very difficult on many modern laptops as it is, I am not sure soldering it in would be that big of a deal.

People might not upgrade the amount of RAM on their pc until they get a new system but having those module on separate stick instead being soldered onto the motherboard create the flexibility that benefit both DIY and prebuilt market. Same motherboard can be used on different config.