Steam Gamers Upgrading to 64-bit Win 7 Quickly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatwheeler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Well, I use my Steam account on all 3 of my computers(desktop+2 notebooks). All three runs on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. I guess the count just drop to 15%.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]Anyone with the slightest interest in computers is a fool not to go with a 64 bit version of Windows 7! Yes yes, I know that a selected few are aware of their needs and wants and are fully content with x86 but seriously, any gamer or enthusiast who bought the x86 version of Windows7 is just silly![/citation]

A lot of OEM's ship their systems with the 32-bit version installed mainly because the image used for those systems where created around during and just after the launch and they where afraid of running in to drivers and support problems.

Also while you do need a 64bit installation medium (either cd or downloaded image) you can use your key with any version you like ... you can even use any language you prefer as long as you do a clean installation. Most users dont know that and as long as their system runs they wont care.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
A lot of the 32 bit users are upgrading from an older version the upgrade to 64 bit would force them to wipe while upgrading to another 32 bit system is peanuts (keep in mind those people dont know their tech ;) ).

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]...and yet games support is being dropped by the devs little by little. Does that mean that most pc owners are getting rips? PLEASE buy the damn games![/citation]
Maybe its common in US to buy more console games, but in europe, particulary in my country most players buy PC games over consoles, hell I dont even know anyone buying consoles games except few exceptions, mostly because game is released only on console.
Last 18 months I bought over 30 games, 2 of them were for PS3 and i rarely even turn PS3 on.
I entirely boycot xbox360 and PS3 games buy only if i dont have other choice and really want that one particular game and as far as i can say everyone in my vicinity do same.

Wouldnt even think about buying PS3 either if it wasnt possible to use it as blueray/DVD player.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I don't know if I'll ever upgrade to 64bit Windows. Unless I can get legacy game to work like Quake 2, I won't. I haven't dedicated that much time to it really.

drip50291

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Yea lets see i got Win 7 64bit running DX10 and an HD4870 with an E8600. STEAM FTW.. i wish more ppl on steam had ati tho, bc the box for half life 2 has ATI stickers on it. RESPECT!

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
That's what I will put into my home built rig (thanks newegg) when the need arises. Right now XP is still running strong and Mass Effect 2 doesn't have any issues. I know there will be a time, probably soon where there will be a game that comes out that will give you extra graphics or something if you are running 64 mode but I will still keep XP on another HD for legacy games.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
magic you can use any software that was developed for windows xp on 7. compatablility mode ftw. you just have to install it for xp it doesnt matter weather you have 64 or 32 it will run both.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I just love how everyone just assumes 64-bit is better at the moment. Almost all current software is still 32-bit and it takes at least 8GB ram to run those 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows just to get the performance of 32-bit Windows with only 3GB RAM.

Marketing still has its suckers. More is not always better. You can have 12GB RAM, but your software is still only going to use 2. The only reason to have 64-bit and a ton of RAM is to run several memory intensive apps concurrently or have a 64-bit app, such as Adobe CS4 64 or Office 2010 64. Last time i checked, these programs aren't on Steam.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]STeam works great with 7 to. I have it in my Start menu and can access anything of it including recently played games without ever opening Steam.[/citation]

Pretty sure it works well with XP and the much hated Vista (Which I have). Still never understood why people bashed Vista. Had it since late 2007, only re-installed once for something not related to OS issue. (And I have reinstalled XP waaaay more times than that on other machines)

people hated vista because they expect to run it on there weak old mainstream PCs that were out back when XP was first released which were only 800mhz celerons with 256MB of ram.

Im the other way around ;) ,Vista did not cause any issues as long as the software you are using was created after the OS launched. In other words people who were used to running programs that ran flawless on Win 95 / XP had a very hard time with Vista. Vista was a mess till they started to patch it up. Then came Win 7 RC and it blew Vista out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.