Steam Gamers Upgrading to 64-bit Win 7 Quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]512mb of RAM is the most popular? Is everyone just playing CS 1.6?[/citation]

That's VRAM, bro... Video RAM.

Nice data, Steam. Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]512mb of RAM is the most popular? Is everyone just playing CS 1.6?[/citation]
That's GPU VRAM not System RAM.
See: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

The System RAM is 2GB. 512MB VRAM is fine for 1680*1050 or lower.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Windows Vista = Epic Fail,

A lot of people will bypass this steaming turd of an OS , our MIS department installs XP on Vista machines before it lets them out in the wild.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]well DUH! anyone who plays any game that is on steam would have at least 4GB of ram. so they would upgrade to a 64 bit OS legally or not.[/citation]

i play on steam every day and i have a ti4200, 1gb ram(1 gig went bad :/) and a p4 2.6ghz processor

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
[citation][nom]tomtompiper[/nom]Windows Vista = Epic Fail,A lot of people will bypass this steaming turd of an OS , our MIS department installs XP on Vista machines before it lets them out in the wild.[/citation]
Uh yeah. The fact XP is installed by your MIS department probably has more to do with corporate applications than anything being actually wrong with Vista. We install XP instead of 7 due to issues with our e-mail application and internal sites being incompatible with anything beyond I.E. 6 (well not really, most of them work but we get no support).

There was nothing horribly wrong with Vista that could not be fixed by changing a couple settings (i.e. turning off UAC). Sure it was a little hardware intensive, other than that I really fail to see why everyone avoided it so much.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Anyone with the slightest interest in computers is a fool not to go with a 64 bit version of Windows 7! Yes yes, I know that a selected few are aware of their needs and wants and are fully content with x86 but seriously, any gamer or enthusiast who bought the x86 version of Windows7 is just silly!

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
wow I am a minority I guess. I used Vista 64 bit (built my computer a year ago and don't really feel like spending $100 to upgrade to 7) and I use an AMD quad core along with a 4830 ATI and I play on steam almost everyday.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Why would anyone buy the 32 bit version of Win7? Everything 32 bit runs on 64 bit OS, guess they aren't aware of that, and all current CPUs are 64 bit. Folks everything is quickly moving to 32 bit! All you are doing is putting a hard limit on the amount of ram you can use and trust me you will be needing more than 3.5 gigs soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.