News Steam Is Buckling Under Steam Deck Pre-Orders

I put mine in with no issues :)

I am in the UK though, so I'd imagine different regions are getting different loads... I hope everyone that wants one gets a chance to reserve one. I for one am very interested in getting my hands on it.

Regards.

Giroro

Splendid
I thought about putting in a preorder, but I decided against it. It seemed like a bad idea to put even $5 down when nobody knows how the hardware performs, nor if the screen/controls/battery are any good.

Plus, Valve has had terrible luck with hardware. For all I know, in a couple years they'll have another fire sale to clear these out for the cost of shipping.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tons of platformers and indie titles that lend themselves well to a handheld console. Audience here is PCMR with an emphasis on AAA titles for the most part.

My brother bought an Ouya, that lasted all of 12 minutes...I guess the Nintendo switch is the successor to that and the Nvidia Shield.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
People or bots? I am guessing it's bots flooding the system with pre-orders to fill scalpers' shelves on eBay just in time for Christmas.

Seriously, it is time White House put a stop to this behavior. There is a law on books here in the US. 50 US Code 4512. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/4512 It requires the President to instate it for a particular product. Doubt, Biden will.

That's generally reserved for items that people can't reasonably live without. Food, Water, etc. A luxury good like a portable gaming console doesn't really apply there. XD

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
That's generally reserved for items that people can't reasonably live without. Food, Water, etc. A luxury good like a portable gaming console doesn't really apply there. XD

True. I, however, could easily make a straight face argument that CPUs and GPUs (required for CPUs without integrated graphics) are essential items, especially with online school and remote working to combat pandemic. My daughters school district was frantically attempting to find computers for those children who lacked them last year. Maryland reported severely diminished test scores amongst low income children without access to computers or high-speed internet. Additionally, broadband access to all is part of the infrastructure plan, being argued as an essential. Obviously, broadband does little good without a computer to connect.

My fear is with the Delta variant, increasing infection and hospitalization rates amongst the unvaccinated, and the lack of a vaccine for children under 12 will cause schools to close again.

My comment was mostly directed to CPU/GPU scalping. Perhaps this was the wrong thread to post it. Apologies for the confusion.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
True. I, however, could easily make a straight face argument that CPUs and GPUs (required for CPUs without integrated graphics) are essential items, especially with online school and remote working to combat pandemic. My daughters school district was frantically attempting to find computers for those children who lacked them last year. Maryland reported severely diminished test scores amongst low income children without access to computers or high-speed internet. Additionally, broadband access to all is part of the infrastructure plan, being argued as an essential. Obviously, broadband does little good without a computer to connect.

My fear is with the Delta variant, increasing infection and hospitalization rates amongst the unvaccinated, and the lack of a vaccine for children under 12 will cause schools to close again.

My comment was mostly directed to CPU/GPU scalping. Perhaps this was the wrong thread to post it. Apologies for the confusion.

I'd be willing to bet schools will close again, and we'll also see another lockdown. 100% due to the fact that people are adverse to getting vaccinated, but also because people just can't act responsibly in general. Here in California, as soon as they loosened up even the slightest amount, bars were packed wall to wall and restaurants at full capacity even though they weren't supposed to be. Now cases are spiking like crazy, even amongst the vaccinated. They had to reinstate inside mask mandates just the other day at the state capitol because 15 vaccinated lawmakers tested positive for the Delta variant. Off topic rant, sorry. lol

Yeah, internet should be scheduled as a utility in the infrastructure imo. You can't really do a whole lot in the modern world without it. Paying bills or looking for a job are incredibly difficult without it.

Reactions: ConfusedCounsel

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Yeah but then that would cause the law to not allow CPU/GPU for frivolous uses such as gaming consoles, handheld or otherwise.

I am not sure. 50 USC 4512 States: "In order to prevent hoarding, no person shall accumulate (1) in excess of the reasonable demands of business, personal, or home consumption, or (2) for the purpose of resale at prices in excess of prevailing market prices, materials which have been designated by the President as scarce materials or materials the supply of which would be threatened by such accumulation... In making such designations the President may prescribe such conditions with respect to the accumulation of materials in excess of the reasonable demands of business, personal, or home consumption as he deems necessary to carry out the objectives of this chapter. "

Notice there is no prohibition on use, just quantity. As such, there is no per se prohibition on "frivolous uses". Besides, my gaming devices support several non-frivolous uses, such as streaming school classes.

Additionally, the law enables the President to be flexible in the order with regards to conditions permitting accumulation. As such, if the goal is stop scalpers and miners from accumulating scare PC components, the order could just limit the accumulation to mining and resale purposes, while exempting home consumption for gaming.

The point I am trying to make is that if we don't want miners consuming components and energy, there is a law on the books that can be easily used to stop the practice at a national scale. Likewise, if we don't want scalping, the same law can limit scalpers ability to bot buy vast quantities. The problem, in my opinion, is simple indifference on the part of both parties with regards to crypto-mining and component shortages.

The solution is for those of us struggling to get PC for our kids to complete a school year, get a graphics card to handle streaming depositions and oral arguments for court cases, get a graphics card to play games, etc. to make our voices heard.

I am not sure. 50 USC 4512 States: "In order to prevent hoarding, no person shall accumulate (1) in excess of the reasonable demands of business, personal, or home consumption, or (2) for the purpose of resale at prices in excess of prevailing market prices, materials which have been designated by the President as scarce materials or materials the supply of which would be threatened by such accumulation... In making such designations the President may prescribe such conditions with respect to the accumulation of materials in excess of the reasonable demands of business, personal, or home consumption as he deems necessary to carry out the objectives of this chapter. "

Notice there is no prohibition on use, just quantity. As such, there is no per se prohibition on "frivolous uses". Besides, my gaming devices support several non-frivolous uses, such as streaming school classes.

Additionally, the law enables the President to be flexible in the order with regards to conditions permitting accumulation. As such, if the goal is stop scalpers and miners from accumulating scare PC components, the order could just limit the accumulation to mining and resale purposes, while exempting home consumption for gaming.

The point I am trying to make is that if we don't want miners consuming components and energy, there is a law on the books that can be easily used to stop the practice at a national scale. Likewise, if we don't want scalping, the same law can limit scalpers ability to bot buy vast quantities. The problem, in my opinion, is simple indifference on the part of both parties with regards to crypto-mining and component shortages.

The solution is for those of us struggling to get PC for our kids to complete a school year, get a graphics card to handle streaming depositions and oral arguments for court cases, get a graphics card to play games, etc. to make our voices heard.
If the government would need all the aluminum for war efforts or a crisis or whatever reason would cola still be able to sell their soda in aluminum cans?
This law is about war and national defense after all.

Scalping is illegal anyways and no new laws need to be put in place for it.
The thing is that it's extremely difficult to police the market without trampling all over individual rights, anytime somebody buys more than one (or x) of something there would have to be a bunch of people checking into if it's for legit reasons or not, just imagine the CIA approaching you anytime you buy two packs of buns instead of just one.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
@TerryLaze it was used in March 23, 2020, by President Trump issue Executive Order 13910, see 85 Fed. Reg. 17,001, to prevent hoarding of PPE (i.e. masks and gloves), so "war and national defense" is a broad term that can include other emergencies. Look at how it was used to support steel tariffs. Not trying to be trite. Just concisely explain that laws can be applied beyond what their title may imply.

Also, despite the order, the general public was still able to get PPE for general use, such as going to the store or going out for entertainment. As such, it would be a reasonable business use to make beer / cola cans if aluminum were restricted.

Also scalping is not illegal in all states. Here in VA, we have the Ticket Resale Rights Act. Of course, other states may have different laws, but do those law cover all products, or just a few.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
I read nothing above! My opinion on this device is quite high! Full blast zombie annihilation @ 1080P full detail is now available providing yo u find constant 60fps at the highest detail to be acceptable for mobile gaming .. wait let me toss out an lol!

Thunder64

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
I'd be willing to bet schools will close again, and we'll also see another lockdown. 100% due to the fact that people are adverse to getting vaccinated, but also because people just can't act responsibly in general. Here in California, as soon as they loosened up even the slightest amount, bars were packed wall to wall and restaurants at full capacity even though they weren't supposed to be. Now cases are spiking like crazy, even amongst the vaccinated. They had to reinstate inside mask mandates just the other day at the state capitol because 15 vaccinated lawmakers tested positive for the Delta variant. Off topic rant, sorry. lol

Yeah, internet should be scheduled as a utility in the infrastructure imo. You can't really do a whole lot in the modern world without it. Paying bills or looking for a job are incredibly difficult without it.

So which is it, the vaccine would've prevented it or it doesn't prevent it? Also, what do you expect people to do after being stuck inside unable to do crap for a year or more? Of course they went out and tried to resume life as normal.

Spiking like crazy. I guess that means masks again for an indefinite period of time. Have fun with that. Where I live that just won't happen, as it shouldn't.

Where I live that just won't happen, as it shouldn't.
Its this type of attitude that doesn't help. The spike we are seeing now where I am is not helped by how complacent people are becoming. As we have been getting closer to coming out of lockdown its been obvious that people, shops and venues have not been as strict as they were 2 or 3 months ago and then people wonder why a few weeks later we see these spikes.

Agree. Not bought a game on Steam in a long time, they don't get many of the games I want. The other problem is a few games I might have bought didn't support crossplay on the Steam version.
This is going to be a generic x86 device, it will come with steam but there will be no hurdle in installing anything you want, windows, emulators, all your physical games you might have, even all the other game stores, you prefer gog you can have that, epic, no problem.
If you are comfortable with playing pc games with a controller and have any "need" of doing so on the go this is the device you want.
If you never leave home or you must have a full keyboard mouse to play any game then this is the antichrist of devices.

Thunder64

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Its this type of attitude that doesn't help. The spike we are seeing now where I am is not helped by how complacent people are becoming. As we have been getting closer to coming out of lockdown its been obvious that people, shops and venues have not been as strict as they were 2 or 3 months ago and then people wonder why a few weeks later we see these spikes.

So let's just stay locked down for who knows how long, right? Screw that. This thing is hardly the Spanish Flu. If people get sick we just need to accept it. We already do with other contagious diseases.

So let's just stay locked down for who knows how long, right? Screw that. This thing is hardly the Spanish Flu. If people get sick we just need to accept it. We already do with other contagious diseases.
All this does is increase the chance of needing further lockdowns. If we can keep the number of cases down and get to the critical point in vaccination numbers we have a better chance of not needing another lockdown. It’s not just people getting ill, the evidence of long term effects is growing, there are many that won’t get their health back to what it was prior to contracting Covid. The other factor is the strain on hospitals and other medical facilities, there is an impact on those who cannot get treatment while the hospitals are overwhelmed dealing with Covid patients. If we could just do a lockdown properly with a controlled lifting at the right time we might just get on top of this.

Reactions: panathas
Why wouldn't I want something that is more portable than even "ultra portable PCs" at about half the price of one? I'm also pretty sure in terms of actual processing power, it's not that far away either.

What I don't understand is why people is not jumping over the idea of it. Making these devices more common you won't have to deal with garbage mobile games as much? Maybe? xD

Also, Steam hardware is great... Or at least the things I've gotten from them are top notch: Steam Controller, Valve Index and now the Deck. So I may be biased, but as I said already, I'm really curious about it. I want it to be good!

Regards.