SteamOS Now Supports AMD, Intel Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Its Debian it will run on much lower specs. However they are just giving you a heads it because its meant to be used for gaming. But yes I agree, the people who would be concerned with this prefer specifics. On a side note, the good news is, the big boys are finally pushing Linux.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Minimum requirement for a hard drive is 500GB? They should list the actual size of the OS, people still use 320GB hard drives and even 250GB.
It needs space for the bloatware :) jkAnyway, who will run that with only onboard intel graphics? No one will want to dedicate a system that meats the required specs, but has crappy GPU.

penn919

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Minimum requirement for a hard drive is 500GB? They should list the actual size of the OS, people still use 320GB hard drives and even 250GB.
It needs space for the bloatware :) jkAnyway, who will run that with only onboard intel graphics? No one will want to dedicate a system that meats the required specs, but has crappy GPU.
Some people might just play small indie games and emulators, so they'll use it like a glorified Ouya.

tonyzet

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

They may also need to create just a st(r)eam machine. I am so mean:D

Nuck Chorris

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I myself have a 320GB HDD and a 250GB HDD with my AMD 7850. What does having a larger hard-drive have to do with the GPU you're using anyways? I have a 1TB laptop that has integrated graphics.

Praise_Gaben

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I hope old Gabe is doing everything right.. because i didn't like the steam machines that were announced at all. Maybe it would have been better to stick with a 3-tier system (apu, 7870, gtx 780 something like that).

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I wonder if you can install bumblebee. Its an app that switches between your nvidia dedicated card and your on board intel gpu (for people with Optimus laptops)I have bumblebee installed in ubuntu gnome 3 and its fantastic. Awesome battery life with the intel and the dedicated card when I need it.

ashonit

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
"previous two releases of SteamOS only supported Nvidia graphics"

I tried out the SteamOS beta last month. While it might not have officially supported AMD GPUs, I tried it with a HD7770 and it picked up the drivers (fglrx) straight away and worked without issue.

Good to hear support is now official though.

Cheers,Ash.

ashonit

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

I installed on a 120GB SSD (using the "ISO" method). It worked okay, I guess the "requirement" is more a recommendation so people don't complain about running out of space?

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This is great news! I recently switched from Windows 7 to Kubuntu 13.10 and loving it. This will give me an opportunity to try out Steam OS on this computer and eventually re-purpose another computer just for it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
No Optimus? That is sad, I got it working on my Asus N550JV with Ubuntu 12.04. Just gotta use kernel 3.11 and official R331 nVIDIA drivers (From Ubuntu repositories, NOT from nVIDIA site) and install Bumblebee.

ashonit

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014

Be careful dude. I used a fresh drive and unplugged the other drives because the SteamOS Beta installer came with a warning that it blats everything when you install it. (The latest release may be different though?).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
SteamOS has minimum requirements: a 64-bit processor, 4 GB of RAM, 500 GB of hard-drive space, and support for UEFI booting.Wow, remind me again why this is better than Windows?

TerryFawkes

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Its Debian it will run on much lower specs. However they are just giving you a heads it because its meant to be used for gaming. But yes I agree, the people who would be concerned with this prefer specifics. On a side note, the good news is, the big boys are finally pushing Linux.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Here is a customized version of SteamOS that removes some of the limitations/restrictions that the original version has.

http://directhex.github.io/steamos-installer/

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1v19tt/ye_olde_steamose_release4_lvm_software_raid/

jetpig

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Can somebody please explain to me why we need Steam OS, other than giving Valve a payday?
this sums it up nicely: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-11-valve-plays-the-long-game-againBasically this is about freeing PC gaming from Windows. Imagine a theoretical windows 9 10 or 11 that has an app store like ios, and soon MS is starting to play gate keeper which pushes valve's ENTIRE business model aside. It also pushes GoG, GMG, and Humble Bundle to the side. SteamOS gives game devs a linux OS to target for their games to be played on, so should MS ever pull a stupid move like above, PC gaming and valve aren't screwed.

Praise_Gaben

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

- Valve will be a much, much, much better owner of an operating system for pc gamers than Microsoft can ever be. Valve has direct profit from a growing pc market, Microsoft does not. On the contrary, Microsoft wants pc gamers to switch to xbox, that way they can sell hardware+games instead of only an operating system.
- Microsoft wants nothing more bad than being Apple #2, which means not only making software, but also hardware. It also means a much tighter grip on the software to 'enhance user experience' which means Windows will eventually be a closed platform with an App system.
- the biggest competitor for Steam is not Origin. It's not consoles or whatever else. It's PC games in the Windows appstore! Imagine that when you install Windows you have automatically access to almost any pc game through the built-in appstore.. how many people will switch? I guess a lot.

Valve knows it can be dead in 10 years, or at least lose a huge chunk of their Steam marketshare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS