Steamworks Now Integrated into UDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Seems to me that Steam is going to THE one and only gaming distribution system in the near future for PCs (and Macs).

Can't decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing...

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I know a little C that i learned in my Engineering Programming class.

Hah, like i'll get anywhere with that. It's cool to see that other, more talented programmers can have their shot at the engine.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]I know a little C that i learned in my Engineering Programming class.Hah, like i'll get anywhere with that. It's cool to see that other, more talented programmers can have their shot at the engine.[/citation]

Hey guys, the nice thing about these SDKs is that they abstract much of the process. I don't think you use C with UDK, instead you use a custom script that runs on the Unreal Engine. I also believe the 3D stuff and other art is done with dedicated software that is optimized for artist (like Blender). That said, I have been intimidated by UDK in the past as well. I've done a little Blender but can't devote the time to be any good at it. I downloaded the UDK, but never even ran the a hello world example.
On the legal side. I don't like that you have to choose which license you want before you start the project. Say you start a game development project as a hobby, but half way trough it you want to profit from it. In that case you would be breaking UDK license agreement.
If the industry starts to converge on a few game engines (Source and Unreal) that would be good for the industry. Especial if the engines are multi-platform.
I am waiting to have Steam for Linux. I am tire of restarting the computer to play games!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Trueno07[/nom]I know a little C that i learned in my Engineering Programming class.Hah, like i'll get anywhere with that. It's cool to see that other, more talented programmers can have their shot at the engine.[/citation]

Developing with the UDK you use the built in scripting language UnrealScript, which has a very similar syntax to Java.

What I'm not sure about here (I have UDK, haven't messed with the Steamworks options yet) is really how Steamworks integration works. Is it that you can have Steamworks in your game, but then you'll require validation through Valve to use it, or that you can just run your game and bam, Steam integration? I'm pretty sure the validation stuff, which on one hand, is great for independent developers who want to sell their game, but I don't think so useful for people just messing around.

Maybe someone will make a free achievements/friends framework for UDK in UnrealScript and share it. After all, it was already in UT3, so it's definitely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.