[SOLVED] Steelseries Rival 710 DPI Issue on new SSGG Software

Jul 29, 2021
SCROLL DOWN FOR TL;DR

Goodmorning / Goodafternoon to anybody reading this thread, this is my first time ever making a thread on this page so please bare with me! To get to the point, if you are not aware already, Steelseries made a huge update to their Engine 3 software and rebranded it as "Steelseries GG". This software is horrible. But less about that and more onto my issue. I am forced to update the software about a couple months ago and the update is done and my mouse (Rival 710)'s DPI is incredibly high (I typically use the mouse on 700 dpi, with this weird change, it feels around 9000-10000 DPI.) I tried changing every thing about the DPI/CPI and nothing would change, would stay at this very high set DPI no matter what the DPI dials were at. I first tried fixing it myself by doing a clean reinstall of the software and nothing fixed. I then tried getting help on the official Steelseries reddit and I didn't get much help there. I then took the long endurance of contacting Steelseries support, which went about as well as you'd think it would. They were telling me things that I have already tried and then they asked for me to send them certain files so they could "Look at them to see the problem." I sent the specific files that were asked, and I was completely ghosted. I send that email with the files in it about 1 1/2 months ago, and have yet to get a response. So I'm out of luck. Moving on, I just bought a new PC as the date of this thread so it has practically nothing on it. I installed the GG software, and still, the same problem. What's weird is, in this current PC's BIOS, the DPI feels exactly like I set it. But further more, I've tried looking up everything, I'll list everything I tried doing below. But the closest thing I got to someone having this issue was a similar thread on here.

TL;DR - New Steelseries GG software keeps me stuck at a high DPI and it cannot be changed, have had zero sights on anyone having the same exact issue. No support has helped and I'm stuck with no fix.

So if anyone knows someone who has a fix to this, any help is welcomed!

Things I've tried doing
  1. Clean reinstall of GG software
  2. Trying different ports of PC
  3. Trying two different computers (Specs will be below)
  4. Tried the full wipe procedure of the Rival 710 (Consists of holding down DPI button while plugging in the mouse)
  5. Restarting PC
  6. Tried seeing if it was a startup application that modified it
  7. Tried putting GG on different drives
  8. Tried installing old Engine 3 software
  9. Practically anything that's on the internet about anything similar I've tried

Specs of current PC
Prebuilt by Falcon Northwest
CPU -i9-11900K @ 3.5 GHz
MB - Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
GPU -NVIDIA / EVGA GeForce RTX 3090
RAM - 128GB Trident.Z RAM @ 3600mhz
PSU - 1000w Gold (Not very sure)

Old PC Specs
Custom built by me
CPU - i9-7960X @ ~2.8GHz
MB - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
GPU - 2x ASUS OC 1080 Ti
RAM - 64GB Corsair Vengence @ 2666mhz
PSU - Corsair 1600w Titanium

If you know the fix to this problem and have any more questions/comments/concerns, shoot me a text on Discord @ justidoggo#0019

Thanks to anyone who's read this and willing to help, will be an absolute life saver!

Solution
Did they send you new firmware to flash onto mouse?

I have a Rival 600 and the first time I flashed its firmware it didn't work and they sent me a file to reflash firmware back to defaults. I am hesitant to update its firmware now even though there is newer.

Maybe its the actual mouse that is to blame, or does it work fine without software? You don't need software really, it just lets you swap colors/ settings but its all saved on mouse anyway.

Colif

Win 11 Master

I have a Rival 600 and the first time I flashed its firmware it didn't work and they sent me a file to reflash firmware back to defaults. I am hesitant to update its firmware now even though there is newer.

Maybe its the actual mouse that is to blame, or does it work fine without software? You don't need software really, it just lets you swap colors/ settings but its all saved on mouse anyway.

Solution
Jul 29, 2021

Hi! Thanks for the response. Sadly not, they requested to see some certain files so they could “look for an issue” but its been almost 2 months since i sent that email and I’ve yet to get anything back. My mouse works fine, although it could be an issue, i don’t know why it would all of a sudden fail due to a huge new software update. i mainly need the software to configure my DPI/CPI. I am currently slowing the movement down by windows movement, but i cant play some games because they support pure raw mouse movement. which is the super high DPI set by the GG software. Im going to try and open up the mouse tonight and see if i can do anything in there. thanks for the response!