Question Step by step guide on process after switching just the motherboard

Feb 25, 2024
Hello everyone,

I replaced my old motherboard (same brand different model:ASUS) and was wondering if anyone had a comprehensive process on what to do next. Computer boots up fine, and works alright. It seems like through hours of research: a fresh windows install is recommended, update motherboard and gpu drivers.

I found this:
settings>updates>recovery. Remove everything then choose a local reinstall. Additional settings> Change Settings and click ‚Clean Data‘ then Reset?

Is this sufficient for a windows reinstall? Any additional or different steps I should be taking?

Thanks for any help!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
though the fresh install is recommended, the reset (they still call it that?) should be good enough. it will put windows back to stock and reinstall the drivers for your new mobo while removing the old ones. that's what you found under recovery settings.

windows is a lot more forgiving than it used to be for hardware changes. i've got one system i changed mobo on and did not reinstall anything. win 10 made needed changes on first boot and it's been running fine with no reinstall at all.

i've also seen windows reject new hardware completely and require the full fresh install. it's very hit or miss and your mileage will vary with any method.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello everyone,

I replaced my old motherboard (same brand different model:ASUS) and was wondering if anyone had a comprehensive process on what to do next. Computer boots up fine, and works alright. It seems like through hours of research: a fresh windows install is recommended, update motherboard and gpu drivers.

I found this:
settings>updates>recovery. Remove everything then choose a local reinstall. Additional settings> Change Settings and click ‚Clean Data‘ then Reset?

Is this sufficient for a windows reinstall? Any additional or different steps I should be taking?

Thanks for any help!
3 possible outcomes when changing the motherboard and keeping the old OS:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks.

I've personally seen all 3.
You might get lucky.

A fresh reinstall doesn't really take much more time than a 'reset'.
If you've prepared properly.

You'll need to do the following in either case:
Save all your personal stuff to some drive, that will be offline.
Document all your username/password.
Serial numbers for any software that needs it.
Download drivers for your hardware.

Double check all of that.

Then, you can try that reset thing.
Then, after a week or so, and you've discovered several 'issues'....you can bite the bullet and just do the full wipe and reinstall that was recommended in the first place.

Reactions: Cmid21
Feb 25, 2024
though the fresh install is recommended, the reset (they still call it that?) should be good enough. it will put windows back to stock and reinstall the drivers for your new mobo while removing the old ones. that's what you found under recovery settings.

windows is a lot more forgiving than it used to be for hardware changes. i've got one system i changed mobo on and did not reinstall anything. win 10 made needed changes on first boot and it's been running fine with no reinstall at all.

i've also seen windows reject new hardware completely and require the full fresh install. it's very hit or miss and your mileage will vary with any method.

3 possible outcomes when changing the motherboard and keeping the old OS:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks.

I've personally seen all 3.
You might get lucky.

A fresh reinstall doesn't really take much more time than a 'reset'.
If you've prepared properly.

You'll need to do the following in either case:
Save all your personal stuff to some drive, that will be offline.
Document all your username/password.
Serial numbers for any software that needs it.
Download drivers for your hardware.

Double check all of that.

Then, you can try that reset thing.
Then, after a week or so, and you've discovered several 'issues'....you can bite the bullet and just do the full wipe and reinstall that was recommended in the first place.
Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I thought that process was doing a fresh install, but I don’t know too much about this.

If I wanted to do a fresh install of windows, do I need to delete everything off of my ssd(currently where os is running from?) How would I effectively carry out a full wipe and reinstall, are you able to provide a comprehensive step by step process?

@USAFRet , I believe I have seen this comment while doing all my research. I then googled how to do a full wipe and reinstall which is where I found the process listed above. Apparently that isn’t correct. I would be grateful for any direction to a step by step process of what you recommended!

USAFRet

Titan
If I wanted to do a fresh install of windows, do I need to delete everything off of my ssd(currently where os is running from?) How would I effectively carry out a full wipe and reinstall, are you able to provide a comprehensive step by step process?
During the install, you can delete all existing partition, and continue with a blank drive.

Reactions: Cmid21
Feb 25, 2024
@USAFRet thank you so much! Don’t know how I missed this. It was idiot proof. (I know because I happen to be one)

Is there a guide on installing bios/drivers and which ones you need? (LAN, chipset etc) or should one just download them all?

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet thank you so much! Don’t know how I missed this. It was idiot proof. (I know because I happen to be one)

Is there a guide on installing bios/drivers and which ones you need? (LAN, chipset etc) or should one just download them all?
There isn't a generic guide for all of that. Too many parts and manufacturers.
Download the most current non-beta drivers for your hardware, save to a flash drive, and install as needed.