Stereo Shoot-Out: Nvidia's New 3D Vision 2 Vs. AMD's HD3D

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I would have spent more time on ghosting/crosstalk if I saw any. The ASUS 3D Vision 2 monitor didn't show us any; then again, the Acer 3D Vision 1 monitor we have doesn't have ghosting problems, either. Unfortunately, this problem has more to do with individual monitor models than it does with 3D Vision as a whole, so it's best to check out 3D on whatever monitor you are thinking of buying first. I did mention that we sometimes experienced a glitch on the Samsung display where it would suffer from ghosting until the video input was switched back and forth. That's an irritation but easily fixable with the workaround, and as far as ghosting is concerned it works just as good as the 3D Vision 2 monitor when this issue is addressed.[/citation]

What about the 720p benchmarks, were they made with a Projector? Whats your opinion on it?

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Badelhas[/nom]What about the 720p benchmarks, were they made with a Projector? Whats your opinion on it?[/citation]

I tested 720p on the monitors, and frankly it doesn't look very good in this situation because their native resolution is 1080p. The downscaling is not pretty, especially on a 27".

HOWEVER, I have tested 3D Vision on a 720p DLP proector in the past, and because it's at the native resolution it's absolutely gorgeous. Ghosting isn't really a problem with 120 Hz projectors because of the nature of DLP displays - it doesn't suffer from pixel 'memory' like LCDs do. Blu-ray 3D is beautiful, and games that are fun with a buddy or group (like racing titles)are a total blast. I highly recommend!

But if you want to play shooters or MMOs, you're probably better off with a 27" monitor. 1080p is nice and affords you more room for interface stuff where MMOs are concerned, and the extra clarity is nice for shooters.

cleeve

Illustrious
I think your article (3Dvision vs AMD HD3D) is highly misleading to the average consumer who has not yet experienced either but looking to get into the 3D game... ...Tridef's virtual 3D mode is fake 3D, no matter how you try to explain it.

Having thoroughly tested both solutions, I disagree with your assessment.

TriDef and Virtual 3D can offer a superior experience to 3D Vision in many game titles, and the depth experience is identical.

The worst thing you can say about Virtual 3D is that it sometimes introduces artifacts, but not always, and the impact depends entirely on the game. Sometimes it's imposible to notice and other times it's a detriment.

But don't pretend that 3D Vision does not also suffer from anomalies and problems, often worse that the ones introduced by Virtual 3D; for instance, 3D Vision often requires that shadows be severely reduced or shut off entirely in order to prevent bad artifacts. TriDef's Virtual 3D mode always leaves shadows intact in my experience, and that's a big deal.

To ignore 3D Visions problems and only acknowledge the one's with TriDef would be a grossly one-sided assessment.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]So what if you are one of those who have to wear corrective lenses?[/citation]

I'm the reviewer, and I do wear corrective lenses. All of the 3D glasses I tested fit over my eyeglasses comfortably.

Your mileage will vary depending on your frames.

[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I'm the reviewer, and I do wear corrective lenses. All of the 3D glasses I tested fit over my eyeglasses comfortably. Your mileage will vary depending on your frames.[/citation]

You mentioned that the old glasses work with the new monitors and visa versa, but did you have a chance to see if there is any improvement when using the old tech monitor/emitter with the new glasses?

G

Cleeve,

You claim you've thoroughly tested both solutions yet also claim the depth experience is identical. Those two statements together are contradictory by virtue of how each works, especially considering Virtual 3D isn't "real 3D" at all.

So let's start with this. What exactly is your 3D gaming setup (monitor, graphics card, 3D driver)? What games have you tested? Please post your Tridef depth/convergence settings for specific games.

If you claim the "depth experience" is identical, then that means you're using very little stereoscopic values in the first place. I've thoroughly tested Tri-def myself and found Virtual 3D to be little better than "paper cutouts", with individual objects not having a full depth range (and hence the overall scene) as with regular 3D. That's why virtual 3d mode is called "Virtual 3D", because it lacks two independently rendered viewpoints to combine a proper 3D image. So how you can possibly get "identical" depth perception? You can't, that's why, and you're statement is pure folly unless you game in "3D" with barely any 3D effect (in which virtual 3D would look hardly different than standard 3D with very low separation values).

I don't use 3d Vision by the way, I use IZ3D. I found IZ3D to offer superior seperation settings than Tri-def, above and beyond simply depth and convergence. Virtual 3D can produce nowhere near the level of depth perception that regular 3D can with appropriate settings (whether its IZ3D, Tridefs regular 3D mode, or 3DVision), simply by the way how Virtual 3D works. I found it was somewhat useful for games that were completely borked in regular 3D, but still too "flat" for frequent use. Crysis 2 used the same virtual 3d effect, why do you think there was so much backlash from 3D gamers that wanted a "true" 3D option? That's why comparing Virtual 3d to other modes is like comparing apples and oranges.

Badelhas

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Exposed1234[/nom]Cleeve,You claim you've thoroughly tested both solutions yet also claim the depth experience is identical. Those two statements together are contradictory by virtue of how each works, especially considering Virtual 3D isn't "real 3D" at all. So let's start with this. What exactly is your 3D gaming setup (monitor, graphics card, 3D driver)? What games have you tested? Please post your Tridef depth/convergence settings for specific games.If you claim the "depth experience" is identical, then that means you're using very little stereoscopic values in the first place. I've thoroughly tested Tri-def myself and found Virtual 3D to be little better than "paper cutouts", with individual objects not having a full depth range (and hence the overall scene) as with regular 3D. That's why virtual 3d mode is called "Virtual 3D", because it lacks two independently rendered viewpoints to combine a proper 3D image. So how you can possibly get "identical" depth perception? You can't, that's why, and you're statement is pure folly unless you game in "3D" with barely any 3D effect (in which virtual 3D would look hardly different than standard 3D with very low separation values).I don't use 3d Vision by the way, I use IZ3D. I found IZ3D to offer superior seperation settings than Tri-def, above and beyond simply depth and convergence. Virtual 3D can produce nowhere near the level of depth perception that regular 3D can with appropriate settings (whether its IZ3D, Tridefs regular 3D mode, or 3DVision), simply by the way how Virtual 3D works. I found it was somewhat useful for games that were completely borked in regular 3D, but still too "flat" for frequent use. Crysis 2 used the same virtual 3d effect, why do you think there was so much backlash from 3D gamers that wanted a "true" 3D option? That's why comparing Virtual 3d to other modes is like comparing apples and oranges.[/citation]

Exposed1234, tell me what´s your rig, favorite game and settings, please.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Exposed1234[/nom]Cleeve,You claim you've thoroughly tested both solutions yet also claim the depth experience is identical. Those two statements together are contradictory by virtue of how each works, especially considering Virtual 3D isn't "real 3D" at all.[/citation]

I don't agree that it's contradictory. If depth and convergence are at a similar setting than the apparent depth will be comparable, too. Perhaps I should have said 'virtually identical', if you want to pick nits.

If your argument is that you have more flexibility to adjust screen pop-out with iZ3D and 3D Vision, sure, but I don't share the assumption that customization control is vital and necessary for a good 3D experience.

[citation][nom]Exposed1234[/nom]What exactly is your 3D gaming setup (monitor, graphics card, 3D driver)? What games have you tested? [/citation]

This is a review, there's a whole page dedicated to the test system setup... :p

Admittedly it's somewhat subjective, but I've spent a lot of time testing these configs and I don't share your suggestion that 3D Vision/iZ3D/TriDef presents a dramatically different experience compared to TriDef Virtual 3D mode. I'm not arguing it's technically identical, obviously it's not, my argument is that for all intents and purposes the experience is virtually identical.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I don't share it.

P.S. Please refrain from inappropriate language. We enjoy a heated discussion but we won't tolerate swearing on this forum, and inappropriate posts will simply be deleted.
We behave like adults here... at least, we try. :)

G

Tri def virtual 3d is no way near true 3d like nvidia 3d vision . I have 3d vision surround with 3 24 Acer lcds and 3 27 inch acer leds and I also have 3 acer 720p projectors. Beleive me I've spent alot of money and its all worth it.. TriDef 3d is like Crysis 2 FAKE 3d, Its looks terrible to a person who is use to viewing true 3d. There is no comparison at all, If you have any 3d soluation that is not creating two independant views, THEN ITS FAKE 3d. using the Frame buffer of one view to create another view "right eye". IS FAKE 3d.....

[citation][nom]jason borne[/nom]Tri def virtual 3d is no way near true 3d like nvidia 3d vision . I have 3d vision surround with 3 24 Acer lcds and 3 27 inch acer leds and I also have 3 acer 720p projectors. Beleive me I've spent alot of money and its all worth it.. TriDef 3d is like Crysis 2 FAKE 3d, Its looks terrible to a person who is use to viewing true 3d. There is no comparison at all, If you have any 3d soluation that is not creating two independant views, THEN ITS FAKE 3d. using the Frame buffer of one view to create another view "right eye". IS FAKE 3d.....[/citation]

I've used both, and I do not believe you have, at least not recently. Your opinion of virtual 3D seems way off.

cleeve

Illustrious
Tri def virtual 3d is no way near true 3d like nvidia 3d vision.

Yes it is. I've tried them both.

A lot of people might suggest otherwise but if you actually try them both instead of pre-deciding, the experience is virtually identical.

Hey Cleeve,

Maybe you can help me. I'm doing some comparisons with 3D vision and Tridef right now and I seem to be having troubles with the shadows in virtual 3D and normal 3D. Is there a special setting I need to use or would it be the fault of the games?

I can reconfirm that virtual 3D looks like normal 3d vision, although with slight anomalies in spots.

G

"
Exposed1234, tell me what´s your rig, favorite game and settings, please."

Not sure how to quote. But anyways, I game on a PC "console" I recently built. It is a Sandy Bridge 2500 setup with 4GB Ram, Radeon HD5870, wireless keyboard/mouse/xbox 360 controller connected to a 46" Samsung 240hz LED 3DTV. Prior to that I was gaming with a desktop PC connected to a 22" IZ3D 3D monitor, where I went through countless CPU and video card (both ATI & Nvidia) upgrades over several years. As you can see, I've been a 3D gamer for a VERY long time, even back to the eDimensional days a decade ago.

When I got the Samsung 3d TV several months ago, I've thoroughly explored both IZ3D and Tri-def software solutions. Tri-def had better AMD HD3D support, but IZ3D had superior 3D configurability. I am able to extract excellent 3D effects for my particular tastes that I just couldn't achieve with Tri-def, even with advanced settings.

I prefer gaming in 3D using very high convergence/stereo separation for that "life like" effect, where the monitor is basically a window pane into another world. I despise the miniature dollhouse effect that comes with low convergence, high (or low) stereo separation settings. For example, with half Life 2, I would game with -.50000 convergence and 30% stereo. Or 75% stereo and -.43000 convergence. These are strong stereoscopic settings that not everyone can immediately jump into (requires a training period). Most people (like the reviewer of this article), use very timid 3D settings and automatically assume that is the be all, end all for 3D gaming, hence I can see his absurd notion that Tri def's Virtual 3D is the "same" as 3D vision. On my Samsung TV, the settings are different for the same game (for example, -.10000 and 102% stereo for GTA4 wouldn't translate back to the IZ3D monitor because of screen size and distance), however in all cases the process for selecting the best 3D effect is the same for my tastes...generally high convergence coupled with medium to high stereo depth.

Cleeve,

The fact that you're insisting that Virtual 3D is on par with 3D Vision/IZ3D/Tridef standard CLEARLY shows that you use only weak 3D settings. Maybe because you're a reviewer and don't game in 3D much at all, but YOU HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED FULL 3D if you remain stuck with timid, barely acceptable 3D settings. No wonder you think Virtual 3D is the "same", a notion that's absolutely absurd to any veteran 3D gamer.

I mean, take a look at your virtual 3D screenshot of WoW. Flat!! And you call that "good" quality? Absurd. Then again, your 3D vision screenshot looked basically flat as well (but had much better depth for objects compared to fake Virtual 3D), which clearly shows you can stomach higher 3D settings for a more immersive experience. In fact, ALL of your other screenshots are basically flat. I suggest spending some more time with 3D vision and build up the ability to ratchet up the 3D settings to higher levels than what you took those screenshots with. With "proper" 3D settings, the game world should look incredibly lifelike in terms of contour, curved and angled depth (especially for woodgrain objects like boxes), faces/bodies should NOT be flat but strikingly real as if right in front of you.

Here's an excellent analogy. Tridef's virtual 3D looks like a "converted" 3D movie, while 3D Vision/IZ3D/Tridef standard are true 3D movies shot with 3D cameras. You will NEVER get the same level of 3D effect with Tridef's Virtual 3D that you can with the other modes, it's quite literally IMPOSSIBLE. For you to say that it's on par just shows that you can only use weak 3D settings, which is actually fine, but DON'T suggest that's equal to other modes when IT IS CLEARLY NOT.

In fact, why don't you take this notion of yours to a neutral stereoscopic site like MTSB3D? You'll find that alot of veteran 3D gamers (whether from IZ3D, 3D vision, projector owners, etc..) that have tried Virtual 3D offended by your assertion. Like me, most found it to be a good alternative for broken games but in no way offers the same level of 3D immersion other modes do. It's FAKE 3D plain and simple.

exposed1234

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Finally registered.

By the way Cleeve, I believe you should definitely try IZ3D software. Tridef's default settings are locked at 100% for both depth and convergence, however the difference between 0% and 100% is very narrow unless you go into advanced settings to play with near and far clipping panes.

Therefore, give IZ3D another shot. If you can't get AMD HD3D to work (you have to go in game first, select resolution to 1920x1080 AND refresh rate to 24hz), use side by side mode instead. Right off the bat you'll notice in any game, you can set both stereo and convergence to basically infinity, much higher than Tridef's default. Play around with the settings, and you'll quickly understand what I'm talking about.

Or, simply unlock 3D vision to exceed 100% and enable convergence setting if you don't want to test IZ3D. By sticking with default, it seems you're spreading an incredible amount of misinformation that will disappoint potential gamers looking to jump into 3D.

[citation][nom]exposed1234[/nom]Finally registered.By the way Cleeve, I believe you should definitely try IZ3D software. Tridef's default settings are locked at 100% for both depth and convergence, however the difference between 0% and 100% is very narrow unless you go into advanced settings to play with near and far clipping panes. Therefore, give IZ3D another shot. If you can't get AMD HD3D to work (you have to go in game first, select resolution to 1920x1080 AND refresh rate to 24hz), use side by side mode instead. Right off the bat you'll notice in any game, you can set both stereo and convergence to basically infinity, much higher than Tridef's default. Play around with the settings, and you'll quickly understand what I'm talking about. Or, simply unlock 3D vision to exceed 100% and enable convergence setting if you don't want to test IZ3D. By sticking with default, it seems you're spreading an incredible amount of misinformation that will disappoint potential gamers looking to jump into 3D.[/citation]

In his previous article, he mentioned he couldn't get IZ3D to work. I personally could not get it to work either. I wonder if the IZ3D software only works with IZ3D monitors. I'd love to try it, but I also think you might be overstating the convergence settings. I find things look perfectly 3D with 3D vision and Tridef, though I wouldn't have minded if I could have used IZ3D to see its offering.

Are you mostly referring to 3D vision? The convergence setting doesn't work very well. You have to hold it for up to 20 seconds before it starts to adjust the setting, and they set the depth to 15% by default. I could see how you'd have misjudged it if this is what happened.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Exposed12345[/nom]I've been a 3D gamer for a VERY long time, even back to the eDimensional days a decade ago.[/citation]

You, me, and a lot of people did that. I even built a polarized dual-projector system in my basement. You probably shouldn't assume I'm a 3D newb because I don't share your opinions. :)

[citation][nom]Exposed12345[/nom]Tri-def had better AMD HD3D support, but IZ3D had superior 3D configurability.[/citation]

I'd agree about the iZ3D configuration, I've used it before. unfortunately, their solution won't work with my test equipment. I've been in contact with them directly with little help or interest from the company so I can't review their solution.

[citation][nom]Exposed12345[/nom]Here's an excellent analogy. Tridef's virtual 3D looks like a "converted" 3D movie, while 3D Vision/IZ3D/Tridef standard are true 3D movies shot with 3D cameras.[/citation]

Dude... come on. Don't even go there.

If you know as much about 3D imagery as you say you do, then you know there's a hell of a lot of difference between the TriDef Virtual 3D mode using information in the depth buffer vs. extrapolating 3D from movement in a movie scene. That is not a valid comparison on any level.

[citation][nom]Exposed12345[/nom]Most people (like the reviewer of this article), use very timid 3D settings and automatically assume that is the be all, end all for 3D gaming, hence I can see his absurd notion that Tri def's Virtual 3D is the "same" as 3D vision. [/citation]

You're hardcore 3D man, you have passion about the subject. I can respect and understand that but I simply don't agree that an extreme pop-put is necessary for a great 3D experience. That's subjective, it's like saying you can't enjoy a 2D movie on a 40" screen because 100" projectors are so much better. You can enjoy a movie either way.

Your opinion does not make it so because you've spent a lot of time with the tech. Admittedly, it doesn't make my opinion right either, and I've spent years with the tech, too. But I do not subscribe to the notion that extreme pop-out is the only way 3D gaming can be enjoyed. Nor do I believe that hardcore 3D junkies who requite strong settings are correct because they are the most passionate about it. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, sir.

I *am* the reviewer for this article, BTW. ;)

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I *am the reviewer for this article, BTW[/citation]

The big selling point for me would be the reduced "crosstalk" / 3D ghosting.

While playing with the new 3D Vision 2 Monitor and Glasses, did you notice any Crosstalk? If so, can you compare the experience to other 3D monitors?

From what I can tell on Nvidia's Page, the selling points are.

Increased Brightness
Reduced Ghosting/Crosstalk
Better Glasses (More comfortable, more viewing area)
120 FPS Gaming in 2D mode. (Current 3D monitors do this as well, I know)

As I already love how great 3D Vision works how how great it works with just about every game you throw at it, purchasing this newer model VERSION 2 would depend highly on how much they reduced the crosstalk.

What's your take on it please?

cleeve

Illustrious

Depends on the game... unfortunately they often require tweaks. What are you playing?

In some cases I've noticed Virtual 3D mode kill shadows if anti-aliasing is enabled.

cleeve

Illustrious

The least crosstalk I've ever experienced is on a DLP projector, because it doesn't suffer fro a 'memory' like LCD panels do.

As far as monitors, it depends on the monitor more than it probably depends on the 3D Vision certification. I've seen good and bad monitors out there.... you just have to try them out if possible. The new 3D Vision 2 ASUS VG278 is great, but I'm not sure it's any better than the older 3D Vision Acer HN274H. They both don't have much for ghosting. I have seen 3D Vision monitors that suffered from it, tho.

Usually any 3D Vision monitor will be better than polarized stuff in movie theaters like RealD. There are better theater certifications out there tho, I've heard dolby is good but I don't have any local theaters that support that standard so I can't say from experience.

[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]Depends on the game... unfortunately they often require tweaks. What are you playing?In some cases I've noticed Virtual 3D mode kill shadows if anti-aliasing is enabled.[/citation]

I tried it with Sacred 2, Risen and I'm about to try The Witcher 2. Sacred 2 and Risen shadows have issues with normal 3D and 3D vision. I was hoping that Virtual 3D would fix it, sadly it does not.

exposed1234

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
[citation]You, me, and a lot of people did that. I even built a polarized dual-projector system in my basement. You probably shouldn't assume I'm a 3D newb because I don't share your opinions.[/citation]

The problem is you're sharing an opinion as fact. Your article, and even your own admittance in the replies, insists the depth quality of Tridef's Virtual 3D mode is "on par" with 3D Vision and other modes. You are misleading the buying public with that stance. I'm simply trying to correct your assertion, because it's just plain stereoscopically impossible for V-I-R-T-U-A-L 3D to offer the same depth perception as other modes by virtue of how each works.

Now, it seems much of your problem stems from the fact that you are not able to play games beyond default stereoscopic settings. 3D vision settings by default is very low, as with Tri-def default and IZ3D. In that SPECIFIC stance, then you can likely say Virtual 3D is "on par" (since there's hardly a good 3D effect for all 3). However, once you adjust stereoscopic settings with 3D Vision/Tridef Standard/IZ3D more appropriately, then Virtual 3D doesn't even come close to offering the same level of depth quality these other modes offer. There's only so much information that can be extracted from Z buffer, that's why Virtual 3D mode looks basically flat. Crysis 2 uses this exact same method...if you're a 3D gamer as you say you are, then you should have known about the backlash the game received for its lackluster fake 3D.

[citation]I'd agree about the iZ3D configuration, I've used it before. unfortunately, their solution won't work with my test equipment. I've been in contact with them directly with little help or interest from the company so I can't review their solution.[/quote]

You can still review their solution in side by side mode instead of AMD HD3D.

[citation]Dude... come on. Don't even go there.

If you know as much about 3D imagery as you say you do, then you know there's a hell of a lot of difference between the TriDef Virtual 3D mode using information in the depth buffer vs. extrapolating 3D from movement in a movie scene. That is not a valid comparison on any level.[/citation]

It is a valid comparison. Both methods (2D to 3D conversion and Z buffer extrapolation) use a single eye point of reference to extrapolate a secondary viewpoint (you think 3D movie conversion is just based on movements in a scene? Boy, then YOU are the one that really needs to learn about 2D-3D conversion), whereas 3D vision/IZ3D/Tri-def standard intercepts Direct3D draw calls and renders two independant viewpoints, just like a movie shot with a true dual lens 3D camera.

Tridef's own website states Virtual 3D is just an approximation to facilitate faster rendering and there is a trade-off for 3D quality. Virtual 3D is only good for LOW depth and most objects are rendered flat across different panes (i.e, the "paper cutout" effect). This is painfully obvious in your very own screenshots. If you want to call that "on par" with low default 3D vision settings, then you need to add a big disclaimer in your article...because most 3D Vision users crank up their settings beyond 15% and unlock convergence to attain the best 3D effect.

[citation]Your opinion does not make it so because you've spent a lot of time with the tech. Admittedly, it doesn't make my opinion right either, and I've spent years with the tech, too. But I do not subscribe to the notion that extreme pop-out is the only way 3D gaming can be enjoyed. Nor do I believe that hardcore 3D junkies who requite strong settings are correct because they are the most passionate about it. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, sir.[/citation]

I never said extreme popout is the only way 3D gaming can be enjoyed. In fact, the higher the convergence, the less "popout" there is, because the scene is pushed deeper into the monitor, creating a window pane effect (and objects are more lifelike). Many people DO enjoy more popout and have high depth settings with lesser convergence, the point is that people want their 3D to be as real as can be according to their tastes. Some people like driving games where the 3D is like radio controlled cars (dollhouse effect) but lots of popout, others like the 3D monitor as the dashboard and the road far out in front of them. In either case, Tridef's Virtual 3D mode doesn't come ANYWHERE NEAR to approximating those 3D preferences, EXCEPT for low depth and the near-flat objects that come associated with it.

I don't know what else to say other than try it for yourself, but like I said before you seem stuck with accepting low 3D settings as default. Tridef's Virtual 3D mode is just that, a fake approximation...if it were TRULY on par with 3D vision and other modes, it would be the main driving technology for 3D and the main choice for 3D gamers wouldn't it? Obviously it is not...for obvious reasons.

I see you have the Samsung 3D monitor listed for your AMD graphics machine. Assuming you sit at normal level, load up IZ3D side by side mode for either half life 2 or Portal 2. Use convergence setting -.50000 and stereo separation 30%. Next try it with Virtual 3D with Tri def and you tell me if Tri-def Virtual 3D is "on par" with that kind of 3D effect. I know the answer, because I tried. In one area where there were railroad tracks, with my IZ3D settings if I looked down it was if the tracks were spatially right down by my feet, the depth effect for small near objects was incredibly real and curved, contoured appropriately (especially barrels), and the distance scenery was perfectly distant according to my eyes. With Tri def Virtual 3D mode, no such effect...even after tinkering with all settings: everything was basically flat but at different planes, no robust depth contours on the barrels, about the only thing that "floated" was the gun...and even that was quite flat in itself.

By the way, what Tri def 3d settings did you use for Sacred 2, Risen and Witcher 2? I will try it out for myself and create a profile with my own settings that you can try. I don't know how else to explain it to you further other than to see if you can experience it for yourself.

3D is one of those things that you need on a consistent basis before your eyeballs / brain get used to it. Usually it's your brain that is causing the headaches, it's spent your entire life factoring and viewing the world from your eyeballs pre-set unique view distance (horizontal alignment). Stereoscopic creates a different horizontal alignment that your brain is used to and it typically freaks out a bit and creates your headache. After awhile you'll become comfortable with it and your eyeball/brain combo will stop trying to force focus the 3D image, something that can't actually be done.

For all the comments about "glass's free" 3D, not possible period. The human eyeballs come pre-configured to view all light available to it, thus your left and right eyeballs both intake the same light and your brain creates the depth by the difference between them. There is no way to send light to one eyeball but not to the other and not have some form of visor / obstruction. At least not with a wide viewing area.

What "glass's free" panels really do is an optical illusion involving math and the fact that most humans have approximately the same horizontal alignment between their eyeballs. They've arranged the LCD elements such that light is angled slightly different for each element. Thus they can "create" left / right separation but only in a very small physical space where your left / right eyeballs would go. Move your eyeballs outside that space and the optical effect immediately disappears. The left eye would start to see the light coming from the LCD elements that are angled for the right eye, and vice versa. With lots of money you can create a panel that has multiple zones, but your still limited to specific viewing zones and not wide viewing area.

If you want "real 3D" without glass's then invent a time machine and go forward to when we have implanted augmented reality chips in our brains. Then and only then can something send the appropriate images to your brain (the eyeballs are just visual input sensors, depth and visual information is processed in the brain) directly and bypass all this panel / glass's nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.