Steve Ballmer Says It's Weird Going to Work; Trashes Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"There is a lot of good talent out there but when I come home, I tell you, there is just an incredible group of talent at Microsoft that is competitive with everybody else in the industry, full stop, period,"
The success of Win8 proves that there is no point adding an outsiders perspective. :p

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
When Microsoft starts calling other people monopoly and government needs to step in, I can't take anything else they say seriously.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
"There is a lot of good talent out there but when I come home, I tell you, there is just an incredible group of talent at Microsoft that is competitive with everybody else in the industry, full stop, period,"

That's a nice sentiment.

When a company feels they need to look outside of their own employee base to find talent that speaks volumes about how that company has failed itself and its own employees. If you can't be bothered to encourage and grow talent within your own organization, you really don't deserve to poach talent from elsewhere.

Paul Connell

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2013
Having a monopoly position isn't illegal, abusing that position to restrict or prevent competition is, and I'm not sure we've seen any evidence of Google specifically preventing competition through anything beyond providing a superior service.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
They would benefit from somebody outside of Microsoft. Balmer does not have a bision or a sense of successful future products. His comment when he first saw the Iphone is all the evidence you need, plus all the missteps he has taken after that. Please, whoever it may be, I hope they have some idea of how to market their products. The Microsoft commercials and methods I have seen are just absolutely horrible,

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Ballmer is a good manager. What he doesn't have is any sort of product vision or a good read on market demands and Microsoft's current situation reflects that. He knows how to get stuff done, he just isn't sure what needs to be done and that's unfortunate.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
As if M$'s browser wasn't written into Windows Moble or whatever it was called. Simply complaining about it cause Google smoked their butts in the phone market. So did Apple for that matter. From poor choices to flat out crybaby tactics. It'll be so (hopefully) much nicer when he's gone. Good reddens.

"...Microsoft was so focused on perfecting the Windows platform in the early 2000s that the company wasn't able to redeploy resources to properly develop for the smartphone..."
Perfecting Windows in the 2000s and they came up with ME and Vista.. Ha Ha
Cry baby don't like the competition.
I might take all those comments seriously if it wasn't coming from a douche.

"...Microsoft was so focused on perfecting the Windows platform in the early 2000s that the company wasn't able to redeploy resources to properly develop for the smartphone..."
Perfecting Windows in the 2000s and they came up with ME and Vista.. Ha Ha
You don't like competition cry baby?
I might take all those comments seriously if it wasn't coming from a douche.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

and i would take your comments seriously if you had any idea what your talking about.

windows 2000 came out in 1999 and ME in mid 2000 so he was probably referring to XP which came out in 2001 and the subsequent service packs that actually made it a pretty good operating system.

The whole bundling thing on phones is a tough one and the problem being that Apple does it, Microsoft does it and so does Google, you cant go after one if you dont go after them all. Microsoft cant just lay into Google just because they have more market share when they also bundle apps with their phone

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Well Mozilla has a browser for Android, Microsoft could develop IE for Android too, why doesn't it ?
And Windows is still bundled with IE in many places ( everywhere but the EU I think ) and guess what, Chrome and Firefox have a huge market share on Windows. This says that your products suck or at least used to suck. Even said they could take IE and shove it when she heard a commercial for a Windows phone with IE.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Still, you have to wonder why Google gets away with bundling its own browser and other Google-focused services on Android.

Actually they only get bundled if a manufacturer applies for play certification, and even then it's the distributor that determines which apps are on there. That's a wee bit different than breaking the OS because the browser is left out.

tugando

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
"Still, you have to wonder why Google gets away with bundling its own browser and other Google-focused services on Android."

Google does not force anyone to use Android with their services, just look at what Amazon did with Android. Microsoft itself could do the same with Android, and not use a single service from Google. Ballmer is just ranting because he can't find a way to complete with Android, or many of other services which Google provides for free. It's not in Microsoft's DNA to give software away, but it is in Google's.

tugando

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
"Still, you have to wonder why Google gets away with bundling its own browser and other Google-focused services on Android."

Google does not force anyone to use Android with their services, just look at what Amazon did with Android. Microsoft itself could do the same with Android, and not use a single service from Google. Ballmer is just ranting because he can't find a way to complete with Android, or many of other services which Google provides for free. It's not in Microsoft's DNA to give software away, but it is in Google's.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Because the development cost would far, far, far, exceed profit. Can you think of one person using android that would rather use IE?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Yea I've got to agree with Durandul... I'm no fan of Android (pretty much hated it, switched away the second I got the chance), but I've been using Chrome as my primary browser since not long after it came out, IE would be a non-player in the smartphone market - too much negative PR, too many problems over too many years.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
see, the thing about google being a monopoly is that even if they are, they're still competitive enough to keep the big dogs out of the game. say what you will, but they're doing it right. they can never buy out companies like apple or microsoft, yet they can't manage to compete. go figure.

lansiman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
he can complaint google for a good reason
microsoft was punished heavily during the antitrust monopoly allegation,while google don't get anything doing the samething

aemehran

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, I'm gonna miss him too. As for Google, I don't wish them anything bad, but like apple, their business practices are just awfully wrong. I hope they change that. The better business is practiced, the better the profit for themselves in the long run and the better consumer lives will be.

aemehran

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Yeah, I'm gonna miss him too. As for Google, I don't wish them anything bad, but like apple, their business practices are just awfully wrong. I hope they change that. The better business is practiced, the better the profit for themselves in the long run and the better consumer lives will be.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
There's an old saying that "two wrongs don't make a right" and MS may well have been guilty of anti-competition practices in the past, but that does not mean any other company should be allowed to do the same just because they pointing it out. Anti-competition harms the consumer the most, not the competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.