Steve Jobs Hates on RIM, Android, Smaller Tablets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
"14.1 million iPhones outsold the 12.1 BlackBerrys"

Apparently you can buy 0.1 of a BlackBerry.. Woo.. didnt know that :)

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]I agree, for the technically illiterate, the Android OS is probably not the best choice. These people will keep the phone the way it comes out of the box and the Android phones are not the best out of the box, they need to be customized to be better. So for the average consumer, openness is not better.[/citation]

i was thinking more allong the lines of...

you knof first time computer owners and how they know nothing about what the internet is like? id say for now the internet is the most massively open thing right now. but that doesnt mean there are -bad word cut so i don't get that weeks of no ability to post again- who are only out to -bad word cut again- up the party.

or look at any first time internet users internet top bar. how may spaces are taken up? 5-10? the most there should be is 3 spaces, 1 for the file and stuff menus, one for the address and quick search bars, and the third for frequently used book marks (im excluding tabs)

i mean sure you can put that crap there, but you also shouldn't. apple holds there users hands WAY to much, and android is like a parent who lets a 10 year old wonder around a mall while they shop for an hour or so.

what there needs to be is a happy medium, that explains you shouldn't do this, but doesn't stop you aside from the warning.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
"uphill battle on trying to build an app store when there's already the iTunes App Store"

My employer provides me a BlackBerry (BB) to assist me in doing WORK on COMPANY TIME. There is an app store -like feature to it, although it is blocked via a corporate policy and admin config.
iProducts are not allowed on the corporate network. Maybe Jobs could address how his products are rejected almost universally in this fashion.

RIM seems to have the edge here...

jsschneidereit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]bachok83[/nom]"14.1 million iPhones outsold the 12.1 BlackBerrys"Apparently you can buy 0.1 of a BlackBerry.. Woo.. didnt know that[/citation]
no, but 100,000 people can certainly buy 1 BB each

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]thedokok[/nom]Bustapr, an open experience is not automatically better than a 'limited' one, especially where the limitations aren't all that limiting.I find linux more limiting than windows, even though it is 'open'. When I jump on a linux machine, it may not even be running the same GUI as the linux machine next to it, which is a PITA. Linux is open, but it doesn't have the calibe of apps that I need to get my job done, there is currently no alternative to Photoshop for professional use, and it isn't available on Linux, and that goes for quite a few other tools. Gimp, Open Office etc. are okay for home or mild use, but don't cut it for people that really have to use productivity programs in a deep way to make a living. Open systems have advantages, but they also have disadvantages. For example, if you buy a current model android phone or tablet, you can't be sure it will run all the apps, or that they will run the way they are intended to run. Being able to download a program to your phone from anywhere also opens you up to malware and attacks much more than in a closed system. I for one don't need that worry on my phone, it is annoying enough on my PC, but there the advantages outweigh the annoyance.Open is open, which is great, but that doesn't automatically mean more or better choices, or a better experience for the end user.[/citation]
Well, sorry to say it but a few things I gather. You know nothing about Linux other than there is no Photoshop. You love your Windoz...which is fine obviously. You missed the point of what openness vs closed is...

I just can't believe you refered to Linux having different GUIs as more limiting than Windows...and in terms of 'openness'...just...speechless.

G

@molo9000

i tried an etch a sketch the other day, didn't compare to an iPad either strangely enough......

Haven't tried android yet, but i have tried the iPad and it was nice for all of 5mins, after which i found it be very limiting, personally i like to be able do my own thing with my own device, not be told how to do something, i should be able to mold a product around my preference. I enjoy a device which may have a weak implementation but gives me the flexibility to tweak and rework it to my liking, what use is a smart anything device if it's level of smartness has already been decided by someone else already

maybe im an exception to the rule, but im a power user and would like to consumer and exploit every last capability of a device to my own personal taste

i'll guess i stop ranting now.....

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
This is the reason that people bow to Jobs, he steps up in front of people every week it seems...praises Apple products as the ONLY computer market to get it right while bad mouthing competitors' products as having no clue. Why Apple will succeed and competitors will fail. YES, that IS just business talking. But how do so many people just flock to this man and his overpriced products is beyond me. He is definitely a good speaker...he could sell you the socks on your own feet. BTW, I don't flock with the rest of them, I have respect for Apple products but listening to this man annoys me...always has.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Give it time, Apple will undo themselves. Google is a good company with great vision. Apple is a company who came up with 1 product that is worth a damn: the IPHONE. AND now the functionality that was once reserved for the aforementioned product can be found in many different smartphones that run a very intuitive and configurable OS(Android). Other than the IPHONE, Apple has never done anything better than anyone else . People really need to grow up and stop being technological hipsters who continue buying into the sleek white bull$#it and hold Apple accountable for their pricing, availability, compatibility, longevity, and overall value.

Linux++ Win7++ Freedom to choose something that works well and isn't m making assclowns like Jobs rich.++++

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
everything Jobs says
WHY does he care? if all the others make such big mistakes it only helps him, so why is he wasting his time and even talks about them? Like saying there's no room for a third App Store... what does he care if RIM launches something that will fail? I don't get it.
OR he is actually worried of the competition, of android, of RIM et co.
In any case it seems to me that S Jobs' mind isn't what it used to be.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
when will people realized that we all have different personalities and needs so we will prefer different stuff. Just because I think that my 30k car is the $#!T doesn't mean that you are a dumb@$$ because you drive a 30k pickup Truck...... Its the same with these phone, you might prefer an Android and I might prefer an iPhone. They are both great phones for different peoples.

aazad

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
listen to this guy (specially the open and close system part) makes me feel like listening to a dictator counting all the advantages of living under dictatorship and convincing everybody how dictatorship is better than democracy and we should rather submit to his will and see, feel and even like the way he wants us to. All the rest of the philosophies of the world are bullsh*t!

G

He only became this way because Bill Gates won. Gates' operating system took the market, Gates made more money, and Gates is using that money to save lives and improve the world.

So Jobs has to fight hard to keep his phones ahead, or he will end up on the bottom with his ego deflated; again.

Jobs hates Android? He hates a phone OS that can challenge the iPhone? No way.... I am sure he will love WP7.

Personally I hate controlled software. WIndows itself is open. Android is open. Then again this is Apple. They want you to do what they think you should do.

Well when WP7 hits and ANdroid/WP7 start taking the market from Apple I am sure Jobs will love that.

greeve

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Cant he just be happy that apple is doing well and not hate on everyone else? WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG =(

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Wow, was this article written to stir up people. It's much more incendiary than what Jobs said. But, Marcus knows how to get people on their hind legs, and they go for it like a trained dog every time.

Let's be real. Jobs knows more about how people like to interface with devices than probably anyone on the planet. He's proven it so many times, it's almost hard to believe anyone can be that successful. People posting here simply do not have that resume, just opinions and anger.

But, he's proven it. Look at their quarter. Look at the markets he's created.

People need to grow up. I don't like Apple products, and I don't like their way of doing business with so much control, but I do recognize that others love it, and want it. I also recognize that Steve Jobs has done a really unbelievable job of introducing new and innovative products to markets, that sell extremely well and are very well liked by people.

Being angry, disgruntled and resentful towards him doesn't make sense, just because he doesn't make something you (or I) want. No one is forced to buy his products, but a lot of people choose to, and enjoy them tremendously. He deserves a lot of respect for that. He's done a Hell of a lot more than I have done in making people's lives better with his talents.

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]notice how he replaced the word open with fragmented, and the word closed with integrated.*sigh*[/citation]
Cos 20 thumbs up are not enough.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Wow, was this article written to stir up people. It's much more incendiary than what Jobs said. But, Marcus knows how to get people on their hind legs, and they go for it like a trained dog every time.Let's be real. Jobs knows more about how people like to interface with devices than probably anyone on the planet. He's proven it so many times, it's almost hard to believe anyone can be that successful. People posting here simply do not have that resume, just opinions and anger. But, he's proven it. Look at their quarter. Look at the markets he's created. People need to grow up. I don't like Apple products, and I don't like their way of doing business with so much control, but I do recognize that others love it, and want it. I also recognize that Steve Jobs has done a really unbelievable job of introducing new and innovative products to markets, that sell extremely well and are very well liked by people. Being angry, disgruntled and resentful towards him doesn't make sense, just because he doesn't make something you (or I) want. No one is forced to buy his products, but a lot of people choose to, and enjoy them tremendously. He deserves a lot of respect for that. He's done a Hell of a lot more than I have done in making people's lives better with his talents.[/citation]

I don't think he does deserve my respect, any more than another person skilled at manipulating public opinion. To tell the truth, I tend not to respect people that pull the wool over people's eyes, even if they do it skillfully, and the people who blindly follow them either.

Jobs is interested in capturing people in a trapped market. He knows his iPad has no benefit over what others offer, and he can't trap people into buying it the way he did the iPod and the iPhone for awhile (and failed to do with a majority of computer users). His only option is to denigrate the competition and try to put them in a bad light in the eyes of customers (or, change his business model, but he seems incapable of that). He's not above distorting the truth to try to do so. He's not the kind of person I want to encourage to lead public opinion; his kind just make it harder for the average person trying to get on with his or her life to make a clean decision based on facts and get on down the road.

He's a politician in the bad sense of the word. I don't admire that kind of person.

Status
Not open for further replies.