Steve Jobs Hates on RIM, Android, Smaller Tablets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]I don't think he does deserve my respect, any more than another person skilled at manipulating public opinion. To tell the truth, I tend not to respect people that pull the wool over people's eyes, even if they do it skillfully, and the people who blindly follow them either.Jobs is interested in capturing people in a trapped market. He knows his iPad has no benefit over what others offer, and he can't trap people into buying it the way he did the iPod and the iPhone for awhile (and failed to do with a majority of computer users). His only option is to denigrate the competition and try to put them in a bad light in the eyes of customers (or, change his business model, but he seems incapable of that). He's not above distorting the truth to try to do so. He's not the kind of person I want to encourage to lead public opinion; his kind just make it harder for the average person trying to get on with his or her life to make a clean decision based on facts and get on down the road.He's a politician in the bad sense of the word. I don't admire that kind of person.[/citation]

Marcus,

What makes you think he's lying? He said all good things about Nokia, even mentioned Android outsold iPhone in another quarter, and was brutally honest. He's dead on about the size of the iPad - I go nuts typing on small keyboards, and I imagine that's the same.

What did he lie about?

Are you so affixed to your beliefs you don't recognize that some people actually prefer the Apple devices to Windows, Android, etc... Are you saying no one actually enjoys using the iPad, but they were fooled and duped? That's basically what you're saying. But, that's flat out wrong, because I argue (strangely, from the opposite perspective) about the value of Apple products. But, at the end of the day, the people like them, and who am I (or you) to say what people should like?

They sell products people REALLY like. If you can't see that, I can understand your anger towards Apple. But, I don't see why you can't.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
My company recently decided to go with iPhones from Blackberrys. From my experience and others around me, we want our Blackberrys back. I'm not the only one in my company that feels that way. The iPhone is trying to satisfy too many people, where a Blackberry is really for the business person in mind. But what is also sad is that the majority of iPhone apps are farting apps, way to go apple. Good to see what your hardware is used for. When i get a new BB, i'll keep the iPhone around for my kids to make farting sounds all day long. :)

G

And even smaller than the iPhone...Does he remember the size of the touchscreen on the new nano?

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I'm sorry Mr jobs but when i think of open i don't think of windows.

I guess Mr jobs doesn't believe in having choice, how many phones does apple make? just one.

jblang

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
"Of course, if our meaty fingers can work well with the 3.5-inch screen of the iPhone 4, and all the iPhones before it, we're not sure what the problem is with our digits interacting with a 7-inch tablet."

I realize that Apple-bashing is a favorite sport here on Tom's, but the above quote from the article totally misses the point. Jobs was saying that since a 7" tablet has 45% of the screen real estate of the iPad, you can't use the same type of user interface and develop the same type of applications. The user interface of the iPhone and iPad are similar but NOT the same, and there is a whole class of applications for iPad that just don't work that well on iPhone due to the much smaller screen. If you increase the resolution to get more screen real estate, the physical size of the objects on the screen shrink, and at a certain point they're too small to tap with your finger tip without hitting the adjacent objects. That was Job's point about filing down people's fingers and it was a valid one.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, when there is a problem with iPhone reception, he says people have bad holding techniques.When someone releases a small tablet than iPad, he says people have fat fingers.
Seriously, he can give logic to support or oppose anything no matter how stupid the logic is.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Aussie_Bear[/nom]the underlying components of his beloved OSs (OSX and iOS) uses open source components! ...Notice the hypocrisy of the almighty Jobs?[/citation]

You have to remember....Apple is the company that steals everything, then tries to sue everyone else while claiming ownership of that which they stole.

Example. Xerox invented the mouse. Xerox invented the GUI driver OS. Apple stole the mouse and GUI driven OS from Xerox, then tried to sue MS for using both with conscent from Xerox.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jblang[/nom]Jobs was saying that since a 7" tablet has 45% of the screen real estate of the iPad, you can't use the same type of user interface and develop the same type of applications.[/citation]
Actually it's 47% not 45%. Jobs forgot that the iPad hasn't a 10.0" screen but a 9.7" screen.

[citation][nom]jblang[/nom]If you increase the resolution to get more screen real estate, the physical size of the objects on the screen shrink, and at a certain point they're too small to tap with your finger tip without hitting the adjacent objects.[/citation]
The galaxy tab for example has a smaller ppi than many other android phones including the samsung galaxy, so the icons will appear on the galaxy tab bigger than on many phones. This is even worse with the iPad and the iPhone. The iPhone has almost three times the ppi so the same interface on the iPad would appear three times as big if it wasn't resided. So this is a pitiful excuse.

jblang

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom] The iPhone has almost three times the ppi so the same interface on the iPad would appear three times as big if it wasn't resided. So this is a pitiful excuse.[/citation]
I'm not sure what you're saying here. I know the iphone and ipad have almost the same resolution but when apple doubled the resolution of the iPhone they kept the physical size of the objects on the screen exactly the same, they just made the images sharper. They could have used the resolution to display 4x more and you could have seen it (if you have good eyes) but elements would then be too small to touch.

jblang

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I submitted my last comment before I meant to. To continue... If you shrink the ipad's 1024x768 screen down to 7" you have the same problem (not to the extreme if you shrunk it to iPhone size but still). If you go with a lower resolution then you can't fit as much info on the screen. The same types of interface won't work. Look at the iPad vs iPhone version of the nytimes app as an example. I haven't tried a 7" tablet, nobody has until they're released. It probably won't be as bad as jobs says. However I don't doubt that apple has a prototype 7" iPad and that they have done usability testing and concluded that 9.7" is the optimal size for the use cases they want to support. In the end the market will decide.

But more than anything I really don't understand all the hubbub over some comments the CEO of a company made on a to sell investors on his business strategy.

It would be a pleasing gift that the ego that is behind Apple is made humble before the end of the year is out. Android has a much greater potential and Apple knows that. Apps are cheap to free and the os will run on any thing and not just phones or small tablets. It will run on any old pc or laptop and storage wise it is so small that even a 512mb usb drive has room to spare after instillation. The only setback is that it like any other modern os needs a reasonible cpu but it is functional even on the Eken m001 despite of only having a 350mhz cpu and only 128mb of ram. This small little os will breathe life into just about any old laptop or desktop giving it a second or third life.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jblang[/nom]I'm not sure what you're saying here. I know the iphone and ipad have almost the same resolution but when apple doubled the resolution of the iPhone they kept the physical size of the objects on the screen exactly the same, they just made the images sharper. They could have used the resolution to display 4x more and you could have seen it (if you have good eyes) but elements would then be too small to touch.[/citation]
This is my point. The icons on the Galaxy Tab must be sized down or they will become larger. So the idea that you can't use your fingers on a 7" tablet because it's too small is a lie.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
i think steve jobs is insulting, and throws biased opinions about without facts.

So in otherwords i dont like steve jobs at all or even apple

dharasty

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Jobs has a nugget of a reasonable idea: "who cares if the *operating system* is 'open source' if it means the users struggle 'being their own integrator' and if developers struggle with the plethora of available hardware and OS versions and variants".

Google: take note. He is RIGHT on that point.

But I think he overstates the impact of the "fractured" Android GUI on the end user: even if Android 1 and Android 2 differ slightly, there still will be less churn on the users brain than moving from non-Android to Android, or iPhone-to-Android, or Android-to-iPhone.

However, he really start to indulge in a bit of Microsoftesque F.U.D.: attempting to cast a pall of Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. You could almost boil down his point to "if you have less to choose from -- and everything has the Apple imprimatur -- less can go wrong." Umm... yes. But will Apple have the bandwidth to vet EVERY good idea, and reject EVERY bad one? Unlikely.

More to the point: if someone wants to create something "totally new" on a handset or other mobile or lightweight, low-complexity device -- perhaps a create VoIP with SIP, or add a new VPN protocol, or put the OS on something unusual like a wristwatch or a set-top box -- the openness of Android makes it a candidate, the proprietary nature of iOS may encumber more than enable.

Apple has long been a great brand with a consistent strategy: keep the hardware and OS close to the vest, and produce a stellar user experience. Hats off to Apple for their vision... and success at implementing it.

But -- while diversity may be messy -- very good things are already emerging from the (as-Jobs-would have it) fractured and fractious Android eco-system... and great things may be yet to come.

dharasty

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
Just a hypothetical example to elaborate my point. Let me imagine a device. It is:

- a digital camera. (A good one. Not a camera in a phone. An SLR... with a phone in IT.)
- that knows its location (via GPS) and tags the photos
- can use Wifi (or for extra few bucks, 3G) to upload your photos to your Picasa web album

This is a realistic, marketable device.

Do you think we'd be likely to see this first from:
- Apple, based on iOS
- someone using Android (and its built in GPS, communications, and Google syncing features)
- some ad-hoc device and OS

I suggest Android is the most likely candidate to support this sort of innovation.

Jobs needs to check his ego at the door: one company -- Apple -- no matter how clever and successful -- has the bandwidth to develop ALL good ideas. That close knit harmony that "ensures a superior user experience" will SOMETIMES have it hands tied... by its own desire to control the whole user experience.

G

I actually prefer a 7 inch tablet over a 9. Its best for those of us out in the field. We can actually place them in our coat pockets. AVILAVIP

Status
Not open for further replies.