Question Still getting no display, even after updating BIOS on MSI B350M Pro VDH ?

Mar 8, 2024
I was an RX580 user and upgraded to GEFORCE RTX 4060, but I didn't get any display on my screen. So, based on a previous experience, I reinstalled the RX580 and decided to update the motherboard's BIOS. I downloaded the BIOS from msi website and successfully installed the update from within the BIOS using the M-FLASH method. After reaching 100%, the computer shut down on its own, and I haven't been able to get a display since. The EZDEBUG "CPU" LIGHT turns on and off consistently, and there is no display at all. I double-checked by looking at the flash drive again to ensure I loaded the correct BIOS, and it was indeed correct. Despite no apparent errors while updating, I can't understand what's happening.

Solution
You said the RX 580 was being used with the other PSU (which is actually better quality than the Thermaltake, though that's damning with faint praise). You can have more than one problem; if you're stabbed in both legs, the ER isn't going to release you after just treating one of them.

It's a moot point until you fix the pins. But it doesn't change the fact that neither of these PSUs should ever be connected to an RTX 4060; put it in the box and remove it from the situation until you have at least a decent budget PSU (and hopefully you didn't damage it with one of these PSUs as this would not be a warranty issue).

MSI's deletion of first gen support with updates in lots of cases is because there were so many compatible CPUs that...

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I was an RX580 user and upgraded to GEFORCE RTX 4060, but I didn't get any display on my screen. So, based on a previous experience, I reinstalled the RX580 and decided to update the motherboard's BIOS. I downloaded the BIOS from msi website and successfully installed the update from within the BIOS using the M-FLASH method. After reaching 100%, the computer shut down on its own, and I haven't been able to get a display since. The EZDEBUG "CPU" LIGHT turns on and off consistently, and there is no display at all. I double-checked by looking at the flash drive again to ensure I loaded the correct BIOS, and it was indeed correct. Despite no apparent errors while updating, I can't understand what's happening.
Did you let the pc run and finnish the full reboot cycle before setting up the bios again after flashing? Could be the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Disconnect the system from the wall and display. Then remove the CMOS from your motherboard, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. For context, can you state what BIOS version were you on and what BIOS version you were trying to update to?

Mar 8, 2024
Did you let the pc run and finnish the full reboot cycle before setting up the bios again after flashing? Could be the issue.
After reaching 100%, the computer shut down on its own and started again so restarted but never got any display for like 5 minutes so i turned it off.

Mar 8, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Disconnect the system from the wall and display. Then remove the CMOS from your motherboard, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, then replace the CMOS battery after 30mins.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. For context, can you state what BIOS version were you on and what BIOS version you were trying to update to?
I've tried resetting CMOS.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: MSI B350M PRO VDH
Ram: Gskill 8x2 16gb 2400mhz
Ssd: 500gb m2
Gpu: RTX4060 / RX580
PSU: THERMALTAKE TR2-470 PP (Like 15 years old i guess?)
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2457-MHD

So yeah, my PSU is really old (like 10-15 years old) and this psu is not one that i used with RX580 but i have tried this psu with my oldest graphic card HD5570 it was working before bios update...

Also update: I have more problems right now, i just wanted to remove cpu (R5 1600) and test the system with R5 Pro 5650G that i have but my stock cooler stuck with my R5 1600 (classic ryzen 1st gen problem) and also some pins are bend...

Mar 8, 2024
Well, what was the one that you used with the RX 580 before this?

This PC shouldn't even be turned on with a very cheaply made 15-year-old PSU. This is just complicating everything.

And the pins are a big deal.
I don't think it's problem caused by PSU since it was smoothly working before update.

My other PSU is High Power 500W ECO BR 80+ BRONZE tbh, i would say cheap made PSU to this one not to Thermaltake.

Yea pins are bend at least it can be fixed as long as not tear but the motherboard just annoying me.

I saw someone on the forums write something like MSI deleted the 1st generation Ryzen support of those motherboards in the last updates to save space, etc. I wonder how true this is, it seems dumb tho.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I don't think it's problem caused by PSU since it was smoothly working before update.

My other PSU is High Power 500W ECO BR 80+ BRONZE tbh, i would say cheap made PSU to this one not to Thermaltake.

Yea pins are bend at least it can be fixed as long as not tear but the motherboard just annoying me.

I saw someone on the forums write something like MSI deleted the 1st generation Ryzen support of those motherboards in the last updates to save space, etc. I wonder how true this is, it seems dumb tho.

No, the Thermaltake Pure Power 470 is a garbagey group-regulated PSU that's not even a 350W PSU in real terms. They're both pretty bad.

You have to simplify problems. Between the bent pins, multiple junk PSUs, and the unknown BIOS update results, you have a lot going on. Remember, you said you didn't get an image *before* the BIOS update. And with a different PSU. The timeline of this upgrade attempt is very confusing.

Mar 8, 2024
No, the Thermaltake Pure Power 470 is a garbagey group-regulated PSU that's not even a 350W PSU in real terms. They're both pretty bad.

You have to simplify problems. Between the bent pins, multiple junk PSUs, and the unknown BIOS update results, you have a lot going on. Remember, you said you didn't get an image *before* the BIOS update. And with a different PSU. The timeline of this upgrade attempt is very confusing.
Thank you for answering that fast.

It seems like there was a little misunderstanding, I apologize if I caused it. I never said i didn't get image before bios update, that never happened with HD5570 or RX580 only with RTX 4060. And i've also tried with HD5570 after trying RTX4060, and it was working that's how i updated my bios with HD5570. I'm already testing everything with my junk HD5570 which is always working in every situation, that's my test gpu. I also tried with both thermaltake and other psu to test pc before bios update and the pc was working. Again, the graphic card that i am using with thermaltake right now to test is AMD HD5570 which is only 40 watt and r5 1600 is 65 so please don't worry about psu and RTX4060 for now.

Also about R5 1600 pins, so yeah that's new but i'll fix it so we don't need to talk about this. I can still try it with Ryzen 5 5650G but don't know if it's supported by this motherboard with latest update (i did updated to latest version but it never worked after this already not before) if it's supported will test with it.

Also what do you think about MSI's deletion of first gen support in latest updates, it seems dumb tho.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you for answering that fast.

It seems like there was a little misunderstanding, I apologize if I caused it. I never said i didn't get image before bios update, that never happened with HD5570 or RX580 only with RTX 4060. And i've also tried with HD5570 after trying RTX4060, and it was working that's how i updated my bios with HD5570. I'm already testing everything with my junk HD5570 which is always working in every situation, that's my test gpu. I also tried with both thermaltake and other psu to test pc before bios update and the pc was working. Again, the graphic card that i am using with thermaltake right now to test is AMD HD5570 which is only 40 watt and r5 1600 is 65 so please don't worry about psu and RTX4060 for now.

Also about R5 1600 pins, so yeah that's new but i'll fix it so we don't need to talk about this. I can still try it with Ryzen 5 5650G but don't know if it's supported by this motherboard with latest update (i did updated to latest version but it never worked after this already not before) if it's supported will test with it.

Also what do you think about MSI's deletion of first gen support in latest updates, it seems dumb tho.

You said the RX 580 was being used with the other PSU (which is actually better quality than the Thermaltake, though that's damning with faint praise). You can have more than one problem; if you're stabbed in both legs, the ER isn't going to release you after just treating one of them.

It's a moot point until you fix the pins. But it doesn't change the fact that neither of these PSUs should ever be connected to an RTX 4060; put it in the box and remove it from the situation until you have at least a decent budget PSU (and hopefully you didn't damage it with one of these PSUs as this would not be a warranty issue).

MSI's deletion of first gen support with updates in lots of cases is because there were so many compatible CPUs that lots of cheaper motherboards (and some nicer ones) didn't have enough storage on the motherboard for all the microcode. What was your *exact* BIOS version installed? And did you install the AMD chipset updates before installing the BIOS? And did you try the 5650G, which presumably doesn't also have bent pins? What do you mean by "it never worked after this already not?"

The problem here is that you're basically trying multiple things at the same time which might not work. So when something doesn't work, unless you swap in parts, you're not going to know which is the thing that doesn't work. And possibly more than one thing doesn't work now.

Mar 8, 2024

MSI's deletion of first gen support with updates in lots of cases is because there were so many compatible CPUs that lots of cheaper motherboards (and some nicer ones) didn't have enough storage on the motherboard for all the microcode. What was your *exact* BIOS version installed? And did you install the AMD chipset updates before installing the BIOS? And did you try the 5650G, which presumably doesn't also have bent pins? What do you mean by "it never worked after this already not?"

The problem here is that you're basically trying multiple things at the same time which might not work. So when something doesn't work, unless you swap in parts, you're not going to know which is the thing that doesn't work. And possibly more than one thing doesn't work now.
Hello again, I've understood the issue. It seems like the motherboard BIOS update has wiped everything from the past. The only combination where I can get a display is with the RTX 4060 and Ryzen 5 PRO 5650G. It doesn't work with HD 5570 + Ryzen 5 PRO 5650G or RTX 4060 + Ryzen 5 1600. The only working combination for the computer is indeed RTX 4060 and R5 5650G.

And yes i've fixed the Ryzen 5 1600's pins too (tried also working with my other pc's motherboard)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS