[SOLVED] Still Lagging while gaming with ethernet connection

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So I currently am having severe lag issues while gaming. I am hardwired meaning this -

There is a main xfinity gateway(modem/router combo) in one room in my house. That gateway is the main one and I have nothing to do with it. It is my mother's for her workstation and I do not bother with it.

In my bedroom I am hardwired - meaning I have a coaxial cable outlet in my room that I connect via coaxial cable to my Netgear CM1000 modem. From the modem, I am connected via ethernet cable to my Netgear nighthawk XR500 gaming router. And then there is one more ethernet cable from the XR500 to my gaming PC.

I have tried: connecting my PC only to my modem; that has failed as I still lag. I also have tried connecting as stated above, via modem & router to my PC; I lag. I have tried to connect WiFi to the Xfinity gateway across the house; I still lag... And when I mean lag, I am getting severe packet loss, my game freezes to the point I can't even play for over 5 seconds at a time, etc..

My equipment is all in perfect condition as far as the modem, router, and cables(brand new CAT-5E cable & CAT 6 cable; and it's a newer coaxial cable as well)

Me and my mother pay for Xfinity - speeds up to 600mbps download/15mbps upload. And we are getting just that. Even more; up to 700mbps download/20mbps upload.
And ping is great as well at 10-25 ping in game. The numbers are great, but I can't even play anymore due to all of this.

-Side note- I already contacted Xfinity about this in the past - they can't come out due to COVID currently, so I need an alternative for the time being if possible...

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
There should be a display in the modem showing the signal levels Many routers also show number of errors. You will always see some error packets but you should not see these number change much. Your modem may also have a log. It will tell you if you are taking small disconnects.

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
Do you want to say that you have two modems (your mom, and yours) connected same to coax cable? Do you have separate XFinity accounts for them?
So no, I have two modems(my mom's and then mine). But same xfinity account. They are both displayed under the same account. But completely different coax cable ports. My mother's is in a completely different room. There is a second coax cable port in my room as well is what I was trying to say.

There should be a display in the modem showing the signal levels Many routers also show number of errors. You will always see some error packets but you should not see these number change much. Your modem may also have a log. It will tell you if you are taking small disconnects.

Solution