Question Stock Cooler vs Aftermarket Cooler?

realkuko

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Hey,

First of all, my Specs:
Athlon X4 860 running at 3.8ghz
Gigabyte GeFroce GTX 1050Ti (yes i know, bottleneck)
Asus A68HM P33
WD10 1TB HDD
16GB DDR3 RAM (no special gaming stuff, just ordinary ram)
Arctic Freezer 13 aftermarket Cooler (not anymore)
program used to measure temperatures: OpenHardwareMonitor and through BIOS.

So recently i noticed that my CPU was "idling" at 65-70°C, spiking up to 75 when playing games like GTA V. I was using an Arctic Freezer 13 aftermarket cooler http://
That got me wondering because the boxed cooler that i got with the CPU http:// is idling at 40-43°C and around 50°C when playing games.
One side of the PC is always open and my room temperature was exactly 19°C when i measured CPU temperature. I shut my PC down, let it cool of completely, change coolers, boot up and let them "idle" at 20% CPU on desktop for 1 hour and 45 minutes. The 20% use is caused by Rainmeter. Oh and yes, i used the same Arctic MX-4 Thermal compound on both coolers, and both were running at the same 2000 rpm, as i set in BIOS.
How can that be, when everyone says that stock coolers are useless? Am i missing something?

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
I don't think anyone says stock coolers are useless. After all, they're certified by Intel and AMD to effectively cool their processors at stock speed. They work.

The advantage of an aftermarket cooler is that it can offer greater cooling and/or reduced noise, at the cost of a larger size (that may not fit in all cases or on all motherboards), or of course, at the cost of more money.

Here is a review of your cooler that compares it to the stock Intel cooler. We see that the Freezer 13 outperforms the stock Intel cooler, but the stock Intel is still cooling the processor sufficiently. We can see the stock cooler is certainly not useless. (It would be nice, however, to see noise levels compared too. Does the Freezer 13 achieve lower temperatures at the expense of more noise, or does it have less noise too?) https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/arctic_cooling_freezer_13/4.htm

The fact that the stock cooler is outperforming the Freezer 13 by 25 degrees Celsius sounds extremely suspicious to me - almost unbelievable. I suspect that something is wrong or malfunctioning. For example:
(1) The fan on the Freezer 13 may be malfunctioning, spinning slower than it is supposed to, or
(2) The thermal paste on the Freezer 13 may have been going bad. Perhaps the stock cooler outperformed the Freezer 13 simply because you applied fresh paste to it? Perhaps if you were to reinstall the Freezer 13, with fresh paste, it would do better than its original 75C? How long ago did you originally install the Freezer 13? And what were your temperatures when you first installed it?

realkuko

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
I dont know exactly how long ago i installed the freezer 13, but i guess it was around early 2018, no more than that. I used the same paste on both of them, as stated above. And yes, both pastes were fresh since i renew them quite "often".
After installing the freezer 13, i let it idle to give it enough time to stabilize, but i dont know the exact temperature reading anymore. I just know that after touching it, i was scared and pulled my hand back, wondering that it was THAT hot.
Yes, the noise level was waaaaay lower, but because how hot it was, i got a small desk fan and let it blow air onto it to help cool it down. With the extra desk fan, the temperature was definitely lower. Anyways, high fan noise doesnt bother me.
Both BIOS and OpenHardwareMonitor were showing that it was spinning at around 2000 +-10 rpm, is that a reliable reading? i dont have any rpm meter.
Yes, it really does sound suspicious and i feel the exact same as you, thats why i asked this in the first place. I for sure would have expected better temperatures. I just hope that my CPU isnt dying on me, i dont have the money for a new one. Right now when typing this,with the stock cooler its idling at 28.5°C at 22% CPU usage, 18.5°C room teperature.
Something else that could cause this? idk im out of ideas.