Stop 0x7b on boot after installation of new motherboard

Martin Harding

Honorable
May 17, 2015
Hi peeps,

I took delivery of an Asus Z97-PRO Gamer motherboard today, and after installing the board and reconnecting my hard drives, on the first boot I received a Stop 0x7b error. All the system drives are visible in BIOS, and power up normally.

I have tried to boot with only my primary boot HDD and the graphics card connected to the board without success. I was able to find out that the Stop error means an inaccessible boot device, so I was wondering if I could have somehow buggered the drive to the point that Windows can no longer read from it properly?

Any help would be gratefully received.

While you mention installing your ASUS motherboard today and "reconnecting my hard drive", you don't say anything about installing an OS on that HDD and more to the point, don't say anything about installing the motherboard drivers to the OS. Where do things stand there?

Martin Harding

Honorable
May 17, 2015

The drive already has Windows 7 Ultimate installed on it, and as for motherboard drivers, I haven't been able to boot into Windows at all since the motherboard was swapped out, ergo no opportunity to install the new drivers.

Can we assume the drive contains a non-OEM version of the Win 7 OS and you're reasonably certain the drive is non-defective and no possible corruption with its contained OS?
You refer to other "system drives". Other HDDs are installed? If so, have you tried a boot with only your boot HDD?