[SOLVED] stop code whea bsod

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
I7 4790
980 ti
memtest86 4 passes 0 errors( only one 8gb )
ran blue screen viewer and the highlighted problems were hal.dll, nostoskrnl.exe , pshed.dll
currently running prime 95 for about an hour with temps staying around 75 c
planing on doing gpu stress test after prime 95.. any help is greatly appreciated. pretty sure i have tried other things as well such as upgraded windows to newest version and updated all drivers . updated drivers with driver booster 6

Solution
Mostly, it can't be, but there WERE some early BIOS versions that allowed for some exceptions.

I'm sure that's not the case but still it's a five year old system and you've no idea how hard it was pushed or anything else. If it were ME, I'd probably replace the PSU first and if that doesn't fix the problem I'd pull the CPU to check for bent pins. You have no idea if somebody else pulled the CPU to replace thermal paste, or whatever, and maybe got a bent pin on the motherboard. That would certainly, possibly, fit this kind of weird scenario where nothing seems to be wrong, yet is. PSU can certainly cause that as well.

What is your graphics card model?

What country are you in?

How much can you afford to put towards a power supply...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Please see this guide for details to include on your BSOD post, as well as how to get us the dump file for analysis: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Every WHEA error is different. Bluescreen view will naturally call hal.dll/ntkrnl etc. as these are windows kernel modules that crashed at the time.

In the meantime, please also post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
Do you have latest BIOS installed?
Do you have all latest drivers installed? Including MB/Chipset drivers?
Have you changed anything (software or hardware) before the BSOD started occuring?
Are you running any overclock at all?

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz 75 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (10-10-10-30)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H97-D3H-CF (SOCKET 0) 41 °C
Graphics
C32F391 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (Gigabyte) 51 °C
ForceWare version: 431.60
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA ) 33 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
(speccy to monitort temps during stress test)

Dump Files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18fmqMBt-yCkYtchQm87OG78erWfg1W6g/view?usp=sharing

(not 100% i did this part right)
not exatly sure what the psu is(750). Havent updated bios ... little over my head with out guidance. this pc is new to me so i dont know about past hardware changes

Perhaps a little background. What are the conditions under which the blue screen (BS) appears? Does the BS happen continually or is it time unpredictable; can you still boot Windows? Often this BS will occur when booting up Windows. I see you listed both the onboard and discrete GPU, just to rule out your discrete GPU, I would remove the card and attach the monitor to your motherboard. Did you update any drivers just prior to the BS, and or did Windows install any Windows 10 upgrades? I think they just put out an a cumulative update for windows 10 (1903 KB4512508). Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if you get the BS without third party drivers..

Last edited:

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
bsod usually appears when on a browser(watching youtube, browsing facebook, i have yet to have it happen while playing a game ) this error is kinda hard to reproduce.. I have the latest update (1903 KB4512508) bsod before the update and after i iwll try booting into safe mode today as well. not sure if the bsod occured before i updated drivers or not since this machine is new to me are you saying to remove the 980ti and see if i bsod? thanks ! wish i knew more about this sytem

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: PC Tailor

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
passed the intel diagnostic tool on all catagories.. also forgot to mention in last post that i stopped the prime 95 test last night at 8 hours and temperature was still around 75c on cpu.. now im off to boot up in safe mode( well figured out how to with my motherboard)

Edit: bsod before and after the driver booster 6 instals( just read in another forum on this page about driver booster, that is why i used it. I know better know.

bios version f3 bios date 4/25/14 looks as if i need a bios update.. ill wait for feedback before trying to install new bios...

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/ITYd.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 124
Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Bugcheck Description:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
"This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error condition.

When a hardware error occurs, WHEA creates an error record to store the error information associated with the hardware error condition. "

About your bugcheck:
A WHEA ERROR is almost solely hardware based. It is possible in rare circumstances for this to be a driver, however it is very unlikely. It is often caused by:
  • Component overheating
  • Unstable overclocking or XMP profile
  • Faulty hardware
Some things to consider:
  • I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.
  • There was a completely unknown module running at the time (it did not return a single websearch on my end). It was a bit bizarre, and all of it's coding was odd, which is why the timestamp on it is also not correct.
  • You have several out of date drivers, that you will want to review the report and update accordingly. Especially Intel chipset, storage and internet drivers

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
thanks for the debugging! ill start with updating drivers .. im not sure where to begin though.. windows update didn't get drivers updated correctly nether did the 3rd party app (driver boost)...

used intel driver assistant it said all drivers were up to date except my integrated graphics card ( hd 4600 )

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
MpKslc20e0438.sys is the unknown file... its date could mean its actually part of windows as their file dates are lies too.. its not going to be from 1989 lol. Or its a random file Driver Booster installed that doesn't match hardware.

do you have microsoft security essentials installed? https://social.technet.microsoft.co...2008da2b4/mpksl-drivers?forum=w7itprosecurity

try removing it, not sure it works well with 10. It does load drivers, not sure if its cause though. It would be unusual

Reactions: PC Tailor

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
try downloading and running autoruns - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns - use it to stop that file from running at startup. I can't find any reference to it being part of Windows Defender, but all autoruns does is stops it at startup, if a program needs it, it can start it.
@Colif i downloaded and installed auto run, not entirely sure how to use it..

edit rebooted after install and I see how the program works now .lol. just how you explained!

Last edited:

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
Well the pc hasn’t BSoD since taking out gpu. I’ll continue to monitor. Is it possible the reconnecting it and doing clean install/uninstall of driver would help or is the gpu shot?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well the pc hasn’t BSoD since taking out gpu. I’ll continue to monitor. Is it possible the reconnecting it and doing clean install/uninstall of driver would help or is the gpu shot?
Usually with a WHEA error, either the firmware is conflicting with the GPU or the GPU or PSU is faulty. A clean install will verify if it really is faulty or not.

Just warning that don't hold hopes up too high that its a software problem when most WHEA is hardware faults.

Mgwhitt

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
@Colif i ran both programs suggested.. seems my gpu did very well through both .... not sure how long i was suppose to run furmark.. but the benchmark finished.. i let furmark run for about 15 min after i got up to its max temp of 81c

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have ran the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/PsRM.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck 124
Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Bugcheck Description:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
"This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).

Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error condition.

When a hardware error occurs, WHEA creates an error record to store the error information associated with the hardware error condition. "

About your bugcheck:
"A WHEA ERROR is almost solely hardware based. It is possible in rare circumstances for this to be a driver, however it is very unlikely. It is often caused by:
  • Component overheating
  • Unstable overclocking or XMP profile
  • Faulty hardware"

Some things to consider:
I would highly advise you to view the full report above, as this will contain much more detail as to the bugcheck and modules running at the time.