Status
Not open for further replies.

couldntthinkofausername

Commendable
BANNED
May 29, 2022
I live in the United States. Up until three months ago, I was receiving three-to-five interview request emails a week from April to June. After June 1st, I was no longer receiving any interview request emails. Why have I been no longer receiving any interview request emails since June 1st of this year?

Here is some information about my situation so you can better assist me: I am trying to get a job as either an Administrative Assistant or an IT Helpdesk Technician.

I live in Michigan.

I have never held a job. Whenever I got interviewed by potential employers, the interviews ended up being ended abruptly by the potential employers when they asked me the question "Do you have X amount of work experience?" and I said to them "no".

I have a high school diploma and a degree in Computer Information Systems.

Another thing I want to say is that I just recently found out that since 2007, employers started no longer hiring high school graduates (By the way, I should note that I graduated from high school in 2014.) & college graduates who have no work experience for entry-level jobs and also since 2007, employers started no longer hiring college graduates who have no work experience for entry-level jobs (I should note that those two facts are pieces of information I did not know before until recently.).

I learned that the reason why companies started no longer hiring individuals who have no work experience since 2007 is because of the 2007 global financial crisis and the fact that they were trying to lessen the negative financial impact that they suffered because of it.

I actually started applying for jobs when I was in college. When I tried to get an Administrative Assistant job when I was in college, I was not able to get any job interviews for the Administrative Assistant job postings that I applied for and was not able to get an Administrative Assistant job.

When I trying to get an IT Helpdesk job after I graduated from college, like I said earlier, each potential employer that interviewed me ended each interview when they asked me the question "Do you have X amount of years of work experience?" and I said to them "no".

When I attempted to get an Administrative Assistant job after I graduated from college, I was able to get job interviews but I was not able to get an Administrative Assistant job. Like when I tried to get an IT Helpdesk job, during each interview, when the potential employers asked me "Do you have X amount of years of work experience?", each potential employer abruptly ended each interview when I replied to that question with "no".

Again, the thing that puzzles is why I was receiving three-to-five interview request emails from April of this year to June of this year and I been no longer receiving any interview request emails since June 1st of this year.

Another thing I should point out is that when I tried to get an Administrative Assistant job when I was in college, I only had on my resume the name of the high school I graduated from, the fact that I earned a high school diploma from that high school, the name of the college I was going to college at during that time, the fact that I was working towards a Computer Information Systems degree, and the list of skills I had that are relevant to the Administrative Assistant position.

When I tried to get an Administrative Assistant job after I graduated from college, I had on my resume the name of the high school I graduated from, the fact that I earned a high school diploma, the name of the college I graduated from, the college degree that I earned, the fact that I passed some Indeed.com assessment, and the list of skills I have that are relevant to the Administrative Assistant position.

When I had that on my administrative Assistant resume, I ended up receiving job interviews.

I was receiving job interviews from April to June 1st of this year. After June 1st of this year, I stopped receiving job interviews for a reason that I do not know.

When I stopped receiving job interviews, I decided to add to my Administrative Assistant job resume the fact that I am a member of the National Junior Honor Society and the fact that I am a member of the National Honor Society.

Even though I recently made that change to my Administrative Assistant job resume that I have been using to try to get an Administrative Assistant job since I graduated from college, to my surprise, I am still no longer receiving interview requests for Administrative Assistant jobs.

Why I haven't been receiving interview request emails since 6/1/24?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just FYI, the field you studied for may not exist for humans soon/anymore. I know several people within my friends group who were let go over this past year. Part of it is financial woes and the other part of it is AI.

Also, there is a saying that it is easier to find a job when you have a job. Find work. Any kind of work, even out of your field and start building a basis of good work history. Employers don't particularly like when folks just lay around waiting for the offer they want. Take something and show that you are willing to do what is needed to earn.

Good luck

Reactions: bit_user

couldntthinkofausername

Commendable
BANNED
May 29, 2022
Just FYI, the field you studied for may not exist for humans soon/anymore. I know several people within my friends group who were let go over this past year. Part of it is financial woes and the other part of it is AI.

Also, there is a saying that it is easier to find a job when you have a job. Find work. Any kind of work, even out of your field and start building a basis of good work history. Employers don't particularly like when folks just lay around waiting for the offer they want. Take something and show that you are willing to do what is needed to earn.

Good luck

Punkncat, the reason why I have been unemployed for so long is because whenever I asked about getting a job, no one mentioned to me that since 2007, employers have required job applicants to have work experience in order for them to get hired for entry-level jobs at their companies. With that being said, before I learned that, I was applying for jobs using outdated advice.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Going to just be honest based only on what you have said in your two posts here. What I see above is an excuse, and I don't think you are understanding the advice that was given. You went to school, then college, have no work experience for the seven years since you have been out of school, and would even not consider a couple of them due to the shutdowns. Go get a job. ANY job. Stay at that job and get some time in while you continue to seek work. Think less about the thing you heard about happening when you were what, 11 and stop using that as the stopper for your inaction.

At the end of the day what are you offering that the other guy in line isn't?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I travel a fair amount. Everywhere I go, I see "help wanted" signs. To establish a work history, you need to work. Any work to demonstrate your work ethic (that has been non-existent to date it would seem).

As stated earlier, go get a job. Any job. And start from there.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Just to expand on many good points already made: I'd suggest even looking at volunteer work you could do. Some of it may be tech-related, such as repurposing old computer gear for use by schools & low-income folks. If you can't find a job to start building a work history, then volunteering is probably the next best option. Continuing to sit at home isn't.

There's another benefit you might get from simply being in a work environment, and that's networking. You meet people who might hear about other opportunities or find a (better) job and could tell you about other openings they might have. Or, maybe you deal with a customer who's impressed by your knowledge and professionalism and gives you a referral of some kind.

Good luck!

Edit: I'd also suggest that you look into what employment counseling resources are available in your community. Nonprofits and some local governments often provide resources to help with job placement. Even if they might not be mostly the kinds of jobs you're interested in, they could probably also give you some useful resume advice and interviewing tips.

I think you'd probably benefit from honest feedback on those
, which you're not going to get from most interviewers. If you don't have multiple family members or friends with successful professional careers, then it's likely you need help in this area.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
@DragonBallZdude

When I was involved with making hiring decisions, we usually had quite a number of applicants applying for entry level positions. Many positions being for Government contracts.

Required skill sets generally being basic with respect to knowledge, education, and skill levels.

Plus it was always good to see some sort of work experience. Even if not directly related to the position(s) being filled.

Simply boils down to whether or not any given applicant will be able to do the job - and that goes beyond the stated job requirements whatever they may be.

What made the difference was some true sense about the applicant - especially with respect to work ethics etc..

Would they regularly show up on time? Follow the workplace rules and norms.

Could they be trusted? Willing to admit mistakes, not blame others.

Not be a hassle to others: customers, co-workers, managers?

Show some willingness or ablility to make meaningful extra effort and do things right?

Would they step up to help above and beyond normal work times and environments?

Willing to learn and change? Put forth extra effort even when not directly necessary.

Personal hygiene mattered - not meanng hair length, tatoo's etc.. Just basic respect for themselves and others.

Able to speak and write with some clarity and sense.

Professionalism. Matters at any level.

= = = =

Not having work experience is a concern and a fair consideration. And the easiest way to exclude an applicant.

However, make a good impression and a potential employer/interviewer is likely to remember you and consider you as a good fit to some other position.

Or call you back again if the original choice declined, decides to immediately quit, causes immediate workplace problems - whatever....

Seconding the preceding posts, comments, and edits.

Sidenote: Remember that many employers, if and when they get interested enough in a candidate, will take a look for the candidate's online presence.

If they look for you what will they find?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Another thing I want to say is that I just recently found out that since 2007, employers started no longer hiring high school graduates (By the way, I should note that I graduated from high school in 2014.) & college graduates who have no work experience for entry-level jobs and also since 2007, employers started no longer hiring college graduates who have no work experience for entry-level jobs (I should note that those two facts are pieces of information I did not know before until recently.).

I learned that the reason why companies started no longer hiring individuals who have no work experience since 2007 is because of the 2007 global financial crisis and the fact that they were trying to lessen the negative financial impact that they suffered because of it.
Where did you "learn" this? Just asking because it seems to be nonsense.

People with no experience are hired every single day, even HS grads. Maybe not to the positions you have applied to up until now, but they are getting hired. They are establishing a work history and defining their own work ethic.

This is what employers are looking for, especially when comparing applicants to each other.

You have been offered some excellent advice in this thread. What you do with it is up to you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.