[SOLVED] Storage not being recognized by Windows

rwreyesbe95

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
Alright I got one here for you guys.. so I got an SSD as a Christmas gift last Christmas, immediately started using it and everything all good. Yesterday (May 8th) I get on it and my new SSD is not showing up on windows anymore, not in the disk management, not in device manager, NOWHERE. Nowhere except one place, in the bios and it appears to be working just fine, I go back to windows and it’s just not there.

Any guesses?
Mobo: AORUS x570 elite wfi
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
GPU: 2070 super
SSD: Sandisk 3D NVME SSD

Solution
Is this the SSD you're working with? If so, can you fire up WD's or Sandisk's app to see if the SSD is pending any firmware updates? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What OS version are you on assuming you're on Windows 10?

kaltira

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple days ago and I still haven't found a solution. Here is what I could find to try. Maybe you will have more luck. Based on your experience, I am even more convinced my drive is fine and something changed on the software side. If you find a solution, please let me know and I will do the same.

Tried so far with no luck:
  1. I tried moving it to another M.2 slot, with the same result and then back again. I don't have another computer to test it in.
  2. I updated the motherboard BIOS
  3. I updated the drive controller drivers for the motherboard
  4. I deleted the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller driver from device manager
Computer details:
Drive in question: M.2 XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVME
Processor: Ryzen 9 5900X
MoBo: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra
GPU: Nvidia 2070S

kaltira

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
I found this other thread with a possible solution for you. It didn't work for me though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dorsai
Alright I got one here for you guys.. so I got an SSD as a Christmas gift last Christmas, immediately started using it and everything all good. Yesterday (May 8th) I get on it and my new SSD is not showing up on windows anymore, not in the disk management, not in device manager, NOWHERE. Nowhere except one place, in the bios and it appears to be working just fine, I go back to windows and it’s just not there.

Any guesses?
Mobo: AORUS x570 elite wfi
CPU: Ryzen 3900x
GPU: 2070 super
SSD: Sandisk 3D NVME SSD
You show one disk in the machine.
Your able to boot from it and windows runs fine.
Disk management and device manager do not show the disk.
Is that correct?