Question Storage Space Disappearing

VermilionNeko

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
My HDD/SDD is running dangerously low on space and I don't know where it's going. I did only have around 6-9Gb or so left a few days ago, and now it's down to 300Mb. Was 500-900Mb just the other day. It's boggling my mind where it's vanishing to. I've done a disk cleanup, but there's hardly anything there. I've run checkdisk, which it found and fixed some issues the other day, but nothing related to this. The more intense software I use - Maya, 3ds Max, ZBrush, and Photoshop - have had their scratchdisks moved to another HDD, so they can't be eating up space. Actually, I'm not sure Max and Maya even use them. Is there any way I can find out where space has vanished to lately? Or some other things I could check?

Thanks

Remeca

Prominent
Aug 30, 2019
Windirstat or wiztree are good for finding what's using it. I would also check to see if the Windows file history is enabled, that can quickly eat hdd space.

VermilionNeko

Honorable
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! It looks like an awful lot of crap has been stored in the Temporary Files folder. Up to 26,000Mb, in fact. Gonna have that cleaned up and see what happens. :)

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Windows has a clean disk management utility, or is it Sys Internals, that can be used as often as one desires. I don't remember if it has an auto-run.

Windows has users/appdata/local[?] temp directory, and c:\windows\temp directory - you can target both places.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS