[SOLVED] Stored computer will not start

Jul 26, 2020
I have a HP TouchSmart 600-1100t which has be sitting in storage for about 5 years. The computer was fairly new when it was stored and in good condition.
(This is a all-in on computer built into the monitor)

When I try to start it, it acts like it is starting windows, but then stalls.

When starting in safe mode, it stalls at "classpnp.sys" and will go no further.

The original installation included a recovery partition accessed by "F11", however this does not seem to work.

I was able to boot the computer with BartPE and run some diagnostics, and everything checks out and runs normally with BartPE (Windows XP).

I reformatted the primary drive and re-started with a standard Windows 7 pro installation disk, it seems to boot from the disk, however it stalls after the logo appears. The disk goes quiet. (tried many times).

My overall goal is to get Windows 10 loaded, however I wanted to get the original configuration back first since the computer has a number of special drivers.

The computer did not come with any installation discs, and HP no longer supplies the original image discs or supports the computer in any way, so there is no help there.

Any ideas how I can get this going again?

Solution
I solved the startup problem! The BIOS backup battery was dead. It is a CR2032 tiny battery. Once I replaced that, the BIOS worked properly and I was able to restore the computer from the factory recovery partition.
The battery is buried under several covers and other items that had to be removed, however, once there, it is easy to change.

Lutfij

Titan
If you can get into the BIOS, can you check and see what version you're currently on for the prebuilt AIO PC? Can you also see if you can get a replacement HDD that's blank into the AIO and see if you can install/boot off of it? I'm a little concerned about the hard drive option on the AIO if it's SATA or IDE based.

Then you can try and source drivers from here. You will need to click on the drivers(not download) to hit up the download page and then click on the non AD labelled link(which is to the side, left of the download button).

The problem is, I think it's too much hassle to revive something that old as your end result might even be moot(nothing can be done in terms of productivity but it will draw power and drive your utility bills up).

Jul 26, 2020
I can get into the BIOS, however there are no updates available. The hard drive seems to have two partitions on it; the original OS, and a recovery partition.

Thank you for the link to the drivers.

I re-formatted the original OS partition. I think I will try to reformat the recovery partition since it does not seem to work anyway. The next step would be to pull the hard drive and do a complete reformat without partitions.

I understand about the age of the computer, however I am trying to put this together for a couple of students that have no computer.

Jul 26, 2020
I solved the startup problem! The BIOS backup battery was dead. It is a CR2032 tiny battery. Once I replaced that, the BIOS worked properly and I was able to restore the computer from the factory recovery partition.
The battery is buried under several covers and other items that had to be removed, however, once there, it is easy to change.

Solution