Question Strange +5v reading

Sep 7, 2019
Hey guys,

Whilst overclocking my RAM and CPU I was using hw monitor to check various things. During this I noticed my +5v was running at 1.016v Is this an issue with my power supply? And would this affect overclocking of RAM?

Any knowledge or ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it is at 1.016 then it is indeed WAY out of spec. However the software/firmware readings can often be taken with a pinch of salt, as they aren't always accurate. I'd suspect you'd have more problems if that were the true reading.

Does the issue go away if you remove the overclock?
What make and model PSU is it?

Reactions: Chris_hippo
Hey guys,

Whilst overclocking my RAM and CPU I was using hw monitor to check various things. During this I noticed my +5v was running at 1.016v Is this an issue with my power supply? And would this affect overclocking of RAM?

Any knowledge or ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks

If your +5V was really +1.1016V your PC wouldn't even POST.

You're just showing everyone another example why software power readings from the motherboard are complete B.S.

Reactions: Chris_hippo
Sep 7, 2019
Hey,

Yes I imagine you are correct, I never realized the software could be that far out. In the BIOS it is reading the 5v correctly. No idea why I didn't think to check this before

Thanks alot

Hey,

Yes I imagine you are correct, I never realized the software could be that far out. In the BIOS it is reading the 5v correctly. No idea why I didn't think to check this before

Thanks alot

Just as an FYI: BIOS isn't necessarily always accurate either. It's getting info from the same IC on the motherboard. The only way to get accurate PSU voltages is to actually measure them at the PSU.

But if you're not having any problems, don't go chasing ghosts.

Reactions: PC Tailor