[SOLVED] Strange audio behavior after installing new SSD ?

Zhycallister

Honorable
Oct 4, 2014
Hey guys,

It's been a hot minute since I last checked in here (2014, holy moly) but I thought I'd drop this strange anomaly by everyone and see if they have any ideas on what might be going on here. I recently got a new SSD, Samsung 870 QVO SATA III, MZ-77Q2T0B, was going to pick up an NVMe drive instead but decided against it for budgetary reasons what with the chip shortage and inflation.

Been noticing some strange behavior with the onboard audio drivers. I have a ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO and have been using the front IO jack with my cans (Beyerdynamic DT 990s). Installed Windows on this SSD, turned my old one into secondary storage, but I've been experiencing playback issues through the Realtek Audio Device. NVIDIA playback runs just fine to my monitors, but whenever Windows has an update, sound blanks out through the Realtek Audio Device. I've spent hours from simple surface-level troubleshooting and driver reinstalls to registry digging and making edits to the Windows Audio service. No dice.

Here's the weirdest part, though. If I swap the SATA cable from my old drive to my new one and vice versa AFTER a Windows update, I get audio through the jacks again. Anyone have any idea on what's causing this? It's a very bizarre issue. The second drive is entirely wiped, formatted and all, so there are no traces of the old Windows installation on that drive.

Thanks, and all the best,
- Zhy

Last edited: