[SOLVED] Strange behavior when connecting to 5ghz through 802.11ac

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015
Hi all,

I kind of ran out of ideas of what to test at this point, and I'm making this thread to see if there's anything I missed before I run out and buy another network adapter.

My desktop has had the same wifi adapter for a few years, a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I, which has the Intel DBW-AC8260 chip on it. Until recently, everything was working fine with the default driver settings when using the 5ghz connection. And by default, it connects using the 802.11ac protocol for 5ghz connections. My router is a D-LINK DIR-3040 AC3000, which has multiple other devices connected to it, including my laptop which uses the 5ghz through 802.11ac without issue. So I am quite sure the issue does not come from the router.

Since recently though, whenever I tried connecting to the 5ghz network on my desktop, it would take an unusually long time to authenticate, and then would say connected to the router, but no internet access. Despite this, trying to connect locally to my router's configuration panel did not work, and the connection would timeout before loading anything. I am able to connect to this router's 2.4ghz still, so that was already weird. It also appears to be randomly dropping the 5ghz connection and reconnecting every few minutes, despite the "put device to sleep to save power" option being disabled. It does not show that behavior on 2.4ghz.

Now today, trying to find out more about this issue, I was trying things out, and I changed my adapter's wireless mode for the 5ghz from 802.11ac to n, and now it does connect to the router and internet on 5ghz, albeit with a slower 300mbps connection instead of 866.7, which I believe is a limitation of this protocol rather than an issue.

Is it possible that something failed with the hardware and is only affecting the 802.11ac connectivity? I must add that I tried a different router, and had roughly the same behavior when connecting to its 5ghz.

Amongst other things, I've tried to:

• Uninstall/Reinstall the adapter's drivers
  • Reset the TCP/IP settings through powershell
  • Change from Automatic DHCP to manual to enter the values myself
  • Use the Windows problem detection, which landed a "Default Gateway Is Not Available" error - very useful <.<
  • Turned off any and all Proxy connections
Thanks for any idea you may have, I have tried so many things at this point

Last edited:
Solution
I certainly had the WiFi card on my Mini-ITX board die on me. Behaved very strangely and I see some of same symptoms you are experiencing. One of the solutions was to reduce connection speed, change power settings, swap between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but regardless I would be having issues about every few hours and would struggle with it. I tried old drivers, new drivers. Just ended up buying a new module and it has been fine since.

4th generation motherboard as well and had seen daily use for the last 6 or 7 years.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I certainly had the WiFi card on my Mini-ITX board die on me. Behaved very strangely and I see some of same symptoms you are experiencing. One of the solutions was to reduce connection speed, change power settings, swap between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but regardless I would be having issues about every few hours and would struggle with it. I tried old drivers, new drivers. Just ended up buying a new module and it has been fine since.

4th generation motherboard as well and had seen daily use for the last 6 or 7 years.

Solution