Question Strange booting to black screen when Razer devices are plugged in?

Mar 19, 2023
Hello,

About a year ago my PC began booting to a black screen after the bios logo. USB devices boot when the PC come on, then all die when the black screen hits. I tried factory resets, brand new installs on a brand new NVME and nothing could stop it from happening. I thought it must be a PSU issue and put in a brand new PSU, it made zero difference. I eventually took my PC in to get looked at... and the tech couldn't recreate the problem. My PC booted perfectly every single time. He even plugged in all sorts of peripherals and it booted with zero issue. He checked all my voltages, my cabling and said it all looked fantastic. He tried plugging in mice, speakers, keyboards, all at once and 50+ times of booting not a single black screen. The absolute only thing I can think of being consistent through this is a Razer Deathadder mouse. I get home and plug a Logitech mouse in and it boots with zero issues. I try it a few times, it boots with no errors at all. I plug in my Razer Kraken however... and it starts the black screen boot loop again! I pull it out.. and the PC boots perfectly! Is it really possible that Razer devices are conflicting this bad with my motherboard? Is there any way around this? I'd really prefer not to have wasted money on this headset or buy another headset just to find the problem repeats... When the PC boots there is zero issues with running anything or doing anything even if I then plug in the headset

MSI Tomahawk B550
AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Palit GeForce RTX 2060
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4
Samsung 970 NVME
Corsair RM750x PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Are you able to get into BIOS? If so, what BIOS version are you on? If you've come to the conclusion that the Razer peripheral is at fault, try and use it on another, known working, system and see if the issue is reciprocated.

Just curious, which port is the headset populating on the motherboard/case? Assuming you're running a USB driven Kraken headset. You've also mentioned Razer devices, plural. You stated one in your thread.

Reactions: pinkrathian
Mar 19, 2023
Are you able to get into BIOS? If so, what BIOS version are you on? If you've come to the conclusion that the Razer peripheral is at fault, try and use it on another, known working, system and see if the issue is reciprocated.

Just curious, which port is the headset populating on the motherboard/case? Assuming you're running a USB driven Kraken headset. You've also mentioned Razer devices, plural. You stated one in your thread.

Yes, I have no issues accessing bios. I am currently using the latest MSI update (AMI BIOS 7C91vAE) but this problem has been consistent over previous bios updates. I don't have another PC to test the devices on at the moment sadly, but the headset is brand new and its two Razer devices that cause this problem rather than just one which makes me think its a hardware/bios conflict. The two Razer products are a Razor Deathadder Essential mouse and a Razer Kraken headset. Even if only one is plugged in (and doesn't matter which one, it happens with both) this error will occur. My boot order is correct in my bios so its not trying to boot from USB with these devices either