[SOLVED] Strange buzzing sound coming from fan

rusgames2

Honorable
Jul 3, 2016
My fan is making a strange buzzing sound. Everything is working fine, my GPU temperatures remain as they were, but its fairly annoying. Is there and easy solution (I didnt build the computer, so im not too savvy in disassembling it). A while back I had a problem with my PSU fan making a noise too, and I was advised to hold the fan from spinning for a few seconds, and it worked. Would the same work with my fan? Thanks for any help.

Solution
make sure no cables are touching fan blades.

it's fairly common for lower quality fans to fail, or begin to malfunction, after a couple years of average use.
if nothing is touching the fan blades and creating the noise then the bearings are probably just going out.
you can attempt to re-oil the bearings but it may depend on the fan type if you can easily get to the mechanism or not.

i would probably just replace it and any others with something known to be good quality with good performance.
make sure no cables are touching fan blades.

it's fairly common for lower quality fans to fail, or begin to malfunction, after a couple years of average use.
if nothing is touching the fan blades and creating the noise then the bearings are probably just going out.
you can attempt to re-oil the bearings but it may depend on the fan type if you can easily get to the mechanism or not.

i would probably just replace it and any others with something known to be good quality with good performance.

Solution