[SOLVED] Strange case of BSOD when GPU + SSD are run together (when gaming or running benchmarks)

Nov 22, 2023
UPDATE (26/11/2023):
To anyone in the future reading this, I managed to fix it but I do not know what was causing it.
Here's what I did (and I'm sorry if it doesn't work for you): I completely dismantled my PC, cleaned every component and cable and re-assembled it back again. This fixed the issue and my PC does not BSOD anymore when gaming/benchmarking.

I really tried hard to pinpoint what was causing this, but I couldn't.
My assumption is that it was a loose connection somewhere. I doubt if it was dust because I clean my PC every month.

System Spec (Desktop):

Windows 11, OS Build: 22631.2715
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
MSI NVIDIA RTX 3080 Suprim X (10gb)
ASUS ROG Crosshair 8 Hero Motherboard
G.SKILL 32GB RAM, DDR4 - 3600mhz
WD_BLACK SN850x 2TB Gen4 SSD
NZXT C850 80+ GOLD PSU

Problem:

I seem to have a weird issue where I encounter a BSOD every single time when my SSD and GPU are run together. For example, when I run a game/benchmark.
The BSOD errors I consistently get are "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" or "UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION". This problem is not limited to gaming and there are no dump files being created. It just gets stuck at 0% creating.

-When I only benchmark my SSD with CrystalDiskMark, there's no BSOD.
-When I only benchmark my GPU (with Unigene Superposition - 4K Optimized), there's no BSOD.
-When I run CrystalDiskMark + Unigene Superposition, the system goes into BSOD.
-If I run GTA V, Forza Horizon 5 or any heavy AAA game, there's a BSOD.

What's weird is, benchmarking the SSD or GPU individually doesn't cause a BSOD but running them together does. Same goes for running any game.

TL;DR, any task which involves running the SSD and GPU together seem to cause a BSOD but not when I test/benchmark them individually.
I can't seem to point a finger at what's at fault here. GPU? SSD? Or something totally different.

Troubleshooting done before posting here:

-Checked temperature of SSD/GPU, both do not overheat. SSD and GPU max out at 70c.
-Updated to the latest version of NVIDIA Drivers.
-Updated SSD firmware to the latest version (620361WD)
-Clean re-install of latest NVIDIA Drivers (with DDU).
-Rolling back NVIDIA driver to last known stable version.
-Turned off all overclocking.
-Installed latest AMD Chipset Drivers.
-Updated BIOS to the latest version (ver 4702).
-Re-seated the RAM sticks.
-Removed the GPU, cleaned it and installed it back again.
-Removed the SSD, installed it back again.
-Checked and re-inserted the GPU Power Connectors.
-Did a complete re-install of Windows 11 and all drivers.

Please help me fix this problem as I am unable to play any games on this machine.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023
Many (most?) of us belong to multiple help fora and I've already answered you on the other forum where you posted this.
Hi, didn't mean to post multiple times actually. I first signed up for Eleven Forum but my account was not approved for some time, which is why I posted here prior to doing it there.

As you mentioned, I will try running Memtest86 and I will get back with information.
If I do find a solution, I will update this post and the one I made on Eleven Forum.

Thank you.

Nov 22, 2023
To anyone in the future reading this, I managed to fix it but I do not know what was causing it.
Here's what I did (and I'm sorry if it doesn't work for you): I completely dismantled my PC, cleaned every component and cable and re-assembled it back again. This fixed the issue and my PC does not BSOD anymore when gaming/benchmarking.

I really tried hard to pinpoint what was causing this, but I couldn't.
My assumption is that it was a loose connection somewhere. I doubt if it was dust because I clean my PC every month.

Nov 22, 2023
UPDATE (28/12/2023):

One month after I managed to fix this problem, I started experiencing the same BSOD once again. Upon inspecting the cables, I noticed my custom sleeved 24 pin connector cable (which connects to the PSU's 24 pin cable) was slightly disconnected. I removed it and re-inserted it back again firmly and my BSOD has stopped.

I don't know if this will fix your issue, but it certainly did fix mine.
Please check if your 24 pin connector is firmly connected to the PSU or the PSU cable (if you're using a custom sleeved cable).