Question Strange graphic effect in videogames

Sep 1, 2024
Hey, guys. Here's a question. I've been haunted by this weird effect since cyberpunk 2077. Can a knowledgeable person explain what it is and how to get rid of it? Thanks.
Motherboard - MSI B650M gaming plus wifi
GPU - AMD RX 6750 XT
CPU - Ryzen 7 7800x3d
RAM - 32 GB

yTY7KwusMFpieOke0hHm1JEzMKI_aUnoLaW4aoZrwFpwZTXDEceLOzUebODbjbNeN6yYO_Kg0OeIhHjKTAqXijrc2oB6SlLwT2A5Qd86WcY
3dH46YGlMG0dw59EpxsN0DtiHzMMYfgVyMPKhzvZ_c3Wr9jsGsJRJOhbVmFfqNvBJnoo4nRRzYydh8SedTz-Tx7Qxk_06CVyxyHICp9eJCc

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Hello! At first, that looks like graphical "noise" effect. A lot of newer games suffer from this. I'm not an expert on this, but it's caused by the game's engine, usually around darker places where lighting and shadows are important to create a nice image. Ambient occlusion, some anti-aliasing methods, lower resolutions are some reasons this problem appears. Could you share your graphical settings? Maybe some tweaking could minimize these effects.

Reactions: Bob_1516
Sep 1, 2024
Hello! At first, that looks like graphical "noise" effect. A lot of newer games suffer from this. I'm not an expert on this, but it's caused by the game's engine, usually around darker places where lighting and shadows are important to create a nice image. Ambient occlusion, some anti-aliasing methods, lower resolutions are some reasons this problem appears. Could you share your graphical settings? Maybe some tweaking could minimize these effects.
Yeah, sure. Here you go.
zdTLTU_pZm26DI3MuYXkia24vQnFBArzcYeEDAS7CSJ7GwRIBJ4PiPW3mPeA5B11dTZnQqLvQqQV_3sXJffkUreQDqrXgQ2nim5KXVxbk0U
jk7nD_p2p3MdXvK6spsX-g1KqKdkEc2pxg3tN7YGy1aEe5Ov2WQl57G1cWt--TscdTZnQqLvQqQV_3sXJffkUh0n8-I-qBbgOjkicQgTEG4
JwiU2XdAl-nJlUvxLnnQUR2xxboRCAAsdMQt2-iRkoeVmiG8ikPUTGt6GwmQnX7RdTZnQqLvQqQV_3sXJffkUsfmZFH5SXBeS6_ya_6QK_I

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Yeah, sure. Here you go.
zdTLTU_pZm26DI3MuYXkia24vQnFBArzcYeEDAS7CSJ7GwRIBJ4PiPW3mPeA5B11dTZnQqLvQqQV_3sXJffkUreQDqrXgQ2nim5KXVxbk0U
jk7nD_p2p3MdXvK6spsX-g1KqKdkEc2pxg3tN7YGy1aEe5Ov2WQl57G1cWt--TscdTZnQqLvQqQV_3sXJffkUh0n8-I-qBbgOjkicQgTEG4
JwiU2XdAl-nJlUvxLnnQUR2xxboRCAAsdMQt2-iRkoeVmiG8ikPUTGt6GwmQnX7RdTZnQqLvQqQV_3sXJffkUsfmZFH5SXBeS6_ya_6QK_I
You can try to enable Direct Lighting and switch Denoising Quality to High. You can do the same for Path Traced Indirect Lighting too, but there will be some performance impact. However, it's worth trying.
Unfortunately, I do not have a capable GPU to test the game myself, but I'll do my best to help you. Also, depending on the performance you get, you could enable virtual super resolution (AMD Driver) to run the game at 1440p, this can also reduce the noise effect.

Reactions: Bob_1516
Sep 1, 2024
You can try to enable Direct Lighting and switch Denoising Quality to High. You can do the same for Path Traced Indirect Lighting too, but there will be some performance impact. However, it's worth trying.
Unfortunately, I do not have a capable GPU to test the game myself, but I'll do my best to help you. Also, depending on the performance you get, you could enable virtual super resolution (AMD Driver) to run the game at 1440p, this can also reduce the noise effect.
Thank you. Gonna try it

Sep 1, 2024
Okay, so problem disappears when I set Path Traced Indirect Lighting to low/medium/high (on low the game becomes very blurry). But after that FPS in the game drops from 70 to 15-20. And Super Resolution helps only if you set it to 4K. But I get the same 15 FPS. Maybe the whole problem is in FSR, which I can not change to other anti-aliasing method?

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Okay, so problem disappears when I set Path Traced Indirect Lighting to low/medium/high (on low the game becomes very blurry). But after that FPS in the game drops from 70 to 15-20. And Super Resolution helps only if you set it to 4K. But I get the same 15 FPS. Maybe the whole problem is in FSR, which I can not change to other anti-aliasing method?
Yeah, ray tracing is quite demanding. I was thinking about FSR, but it can not be disabled in the traditional way. The anti-aliasing method is activated simultaneously with FSR. So, in theory, deactivating anti-aliasing should deactivate FSR as well. I found these steps on PCGamingWiki:
  1. Go to the configuration file(s) location. AppData/Local/Remedy/Alan wake 2/Renderer.ini
  2. Open renderer.ini with a text editor.
  3. Edit the following line as follows: "m_eSSAAMethod": 0
  4. To disable the leftover sharpening filter, edit the following line as follows: "m_fSSAASharpening": 0.0
  5. Save the file and close it

Additionally, if you change your graphical settings again, it could change the whole file again, so make tweak your graphical settings, then set it to Read-Only. Let me know how it turned out.

Sep 1, 2024
Yeah, ray tracing is quite demanding. I was thinking about FSR, but it can not be disabled in the traditional way. The anti-aliasing method is activated simultaneously with FSR. So, in theory, deactivating anti-aliasing should deactivate FSR as well. I found these steps on PCGamingWiki:
  1. Go to the configuration file(s) location. AppData/Local/Remedy/Alan wake 2/Renderer.ini
  2. Open renderer.ini with a text editor.
  3. Edit the following line as follows: "m_eSSAAMethod": 0
  4. To disable the leftover sharpening filter, edit the following line as follows: "m_fSSAASharpening": 0.0
  5. Save the file and close it

Additionally, if you change your graphical settings again, it could change the whole file again, so make tweak your graphical settings, then set it to Read-Only. Let me know how it turned out.
Tried it with 0 and 1 (i think 1 was FXAA?). But this flickering is still here. And heres screenshot without AA and with FXAA(?)
1.png
2.png

Last edited: