[SOLVED] Strange hissing coming from my laptop

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Hey, I have a strange problem with my Dell Inspiron 3537.
I have overclocked the GPU and CPU from 0.815 volts to 1.05 Stable and i can go higher but it hits Power limit.
The hissing comes from either the CPU or the GPU, it only comes when i put a load on it and goes away after the stress test is done (this is when im overclocking it, never does it at stock voltages, Usually when i go above 1.2 volts, I've also gotten to 1.35 volts and stressed test it but the hissing gets quite loud at that point, the hissing can get even louder than the fan when stressing it.) I'm kinda scared that its gonna blow at any second so i keep it at 1 volt.

I use Intel's Extreme Tuning Utility as its the only software i know how to use with out bricking it.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Probably just coil whine from one of the capacitors. It could be that one of the casings has a hairline crack or something, but my guess is they just aren't rated for overclocked voltages. It's a common problem in older laptops because the insulating material around the coils breaks down over time as the coils oscillate.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/FAQ-Coil-Whine.225152.0.html

Reactions: eternalabys
Solution

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Also apparently I was completely wrong, It wasn't the GPU at all It was my new RAM that I had Installed, a couple days after the post I investigated it more and found out that it was actually the new dim of RAM i had installed about a month prior, and now ( a "couple" months after I found out that it was the RAM) it stopped hissing and is dead silent and is working perfectly well. I still to this day have no clue why it did that and why it stopped. Does anybody have a theory as to why?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS